California may soon be protecting you from yourself

MachineHead

NES Member
Bill would allow suicidal Californians to block themselves from buying guns

A Bay Area lawmaker says he wants to give Californians more protection against gun suicides, which have taken more than 1,000 lives in a year.

AB1927, a bill introduced Wednesday by Assemblyman Rob Bonta, D-Oakland, would allow people who are having suicidal thoughts or fear they are in danger of taking their own lives to submit their names, voluntarily and confidentially, to the state office that conducts background checks for firearms. That office would then notify licensed dealers that the person was prohibited from legally buying a gun.

The bill would allow those on the prohibited list to remove their names by showing they were no longer a danger to themselves or others.

I guess it’s there for those who truly need to get the help they need and actually are a danger to themselves, but even then it’s probably better to transfer arms to trusted friends. We all know how gun-friendly California is and how likely it is you’ll get your guns back.

Anyone who actually wants to kill themselves is not going to voluntarily put their name on a list to make it harder for themselves....

This looks to me like something for those angst-ridden teenagers who can't deal with how hard life is, but in reality just want attention. Actually, that kind of explains most of California's legislature.

If I’m suicidal why the hell would I voluntarily give up my best means of closure? Should I turn to a motor vehicle and jeopardize others as well? Well, I guess one could pull a Whitney and down a metric ton of pills or hang it up in the garage... thats a popular one.

Or I could submit someone else's name voluntarily and confidentially just to jam them up...

That would be the real question. The article states a person voluntarily submits themselves, but can someone put another person on the list?

If so, this is just the "extreme protection act" bullshit in a different form.

That would be the real question. The article states a person voluntarily submits themselves, but can someone put another person on the list?

If so, this is just the "extreme protection act" bullshit in a different form.
That’s what it sounds like. It has ERPO written all over it.

If I’m suicidal why the hell would I voluntarily give up my best means of closure?
i think no one could answer that question. suicidal people usually fight and struggle with bouts of severe depression. in a moment of clarity they could possibly put themselves on "the list." but a determined person will find a way even if it means stepping out in front of a vehicle. they say a suicidal person doesn't telegraph their intentions whereas someone who speaks about ending it are seeking attention and rarely follows through. i'm not a clinician so grain of salt here people.

the thought of being able to nominate a person to be put on the list scares the hell out of me. i do hope there's more to it than just dropping a dime and shazam...on the list. half of hollywood would be prime candidates for this data base and i'm not being funny when i say that.

I had two friends who committed suicide in their twenties. Both hung themselves. I don't know what is in the minds of those who take their own lives. Obviously in most cases suicide is permanent solution to a temporary problem but if someone is so intent on taking their own life I prefer they harm none else in the process. If someone felt they themselves needed to be on this list it is their right to forfeit their second amendment rights. I do think this is more government manipulation and I think this list is a precursor to having others nominate someone to be on it without due process.

[The bill would allow those on the prohibited list to remove their names by showing they were no longer a danger to themselves or other
Brilliant. You get on the list by asking, but off the list by submitting proof (like an MD willing to bet his malpractice record on a statement you are not suicidal).

Suicide is sometimes a reasonable course of action. For example, an elderly CEO of a local firm shotgunned himself when he was in the advanced states of Stage IV metastatic lung cancer. If I was in that situation I would definitely not use a gun - there is no way my final act would be to give statistical ammunition to the enemy.

just a dumb feel good measure. People who are seriously thinking about suicide aren't going to go sign up for this. Plus it's not lie a gun is the only way to kill yourself.

I'm guessing that getting yourself off of this list would be just about impossible.

Butt... if it saves one life it is worth it. ;)

and if it saves one life, it would be a big freakin surprise!

Back
Top Bottom