• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Calling all car experts!!!

My car(01 Honda accord) seems to be having an issue. Whenever I put the car in park, it gives me a hard time switching to drive. Whenever I push the button to switch gears, the button doesn't want to go in all the way. Anyone have an idea? Thought I'd toss it out here before taking it to a shop and getting butt raped. Thanks in advance

best guess---selenoid interlock under the shift console is probably sticking-- this is activated by stepping on brake pedal---if u can take apart console u can spray electronic cleaner in it---not w d 40 that will regum over time---also--- u will notice a small plastic plug next to shift handle---about 1/4" x 1/2" pry up with small screwdriver & insert key all the way down---this is the mechanical bypass when thers no power(dead battery) if that allows u to release ok then its definately selenoid otherwise could be shift cable problem they had in early 90's but havnt seen that problem since 1994----DISCLAIMER---im not a mechanic

Sounds like the lockout is not adjusted correctly or damaged. That thumb button is connected to a linkage or cable. I'd pull the console apart and make sure a pop top or coins haven't gotten in there and jammed up the works....I had some .22lr fall into mine once and when I smashed the car into park one of the rounds was fired! Talk about surprised as heck but the burnt powder smelled good.

Break switch... usually the break needs to be down in order to shift/select a gear with an auto tranny. Just a guess...

Quick search found: Lots of brake switch and shift solenoid issues.

"do a quick test and see if your brake lights come on when you press the [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]brake [/FONT][FONT=inherit !important]pedal[/FONT][/FONT]. If not then it's most likely a brake pedal switch. If they do then there is another shift lock sensor in the center console that gets gummed up over time and can cause this quite easily and is the second most likely culprit."

"Get in the car, turn the key on, and push the brade pedal just slightly down. You should hear a sort of clicking sound comming from near the shift lever. then again when you release it. (shift release[FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]solenoid
[/FONT]). Try it when it does work right so you will know what it sounds like.(it's not loud) Also next time it happens check to see if the [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]brake [/FONT][FONT=inherit !important]lights[/FONT][/FONT] work when you push the brake. (brake light switch)."[/FONT]

Spilled coffe or soda in console gumming up interlock. If you pull the console the problem should become obvious.
I have seen several vehicles where spillage gummed up the shifter mechanism.
Edit: also look for coins in the mechanism.

Gonna try and pull th console up tomorrow and see if I can figure it out. Thanks for all the info. And Boscru, I do intend on going green, just a matter of getting my wallet and actually doing so.
<~~~~~serious procrastinator

best guess---selenoid interlock under the shift console is probably sticking-- this is activated by stepping on brake pedal---if u can take apart console u can spray electronic cleaner in it---not w d 40 that will regum over time---also--- u will notice a small plastic plug next to shift handle---about 1/4" x 1/2" pry up with small screwdriver & insert key all the way down---this is the mechanical bypass when thers no power(dead battery) if that allows u to release ok then its definately selenoid otherwise could be shift cable problem they had in early 90's but havnt seen that problem since 1994----DISCLAIMER---im not a mechanic

THIS. UN-DISCLAIMER I AM a mechanic...

Sounds like the lockout is not adjusted correctly or damaged. That thumb button is connected to a linkage or cable. I'd pull the console apart and make sure a pop top or coins haven't gotten in there and jammed up the works....I had some .22lr fall into mine once and when I smashed the car into park one of the rounds was fired! Talk about surprised as heck but the burnt powder smelled good.

lol that's awesome

Spilled coffe or soda in console gumming up interlock. If you pull the console the problem should become obvious.
I have seen several vehicles where spillage gummed up the shifter mechanism.
Edit: also look for coins in the mechanism.

# 1 for the above. I've seen this several times also.

Quick search found: Lots of brake switch and shift solenoid issues.

"do a quick test and see if your brake lights come on when you press the [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]brake [/FONT][FONT=inherit !important]pedal[/FONT][/FONT]. If not then it's most likely a brake pedal switch. If they do then there is another shift lock sensor in the center console that gets gummed up over time and can cause this quite easily and is the second most likely culprit."

"Get in the car, turn the key on, and push the brade pedal just slightly down. You should hear a sort of clicking sound comming from near the shift lever. then again when you release it. (shift release[FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]solenoid
[/FONT]). Try it when it does work right so you will know what it sounds like.(it's not loud) Also next time it happens check to see if the [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]brake [/FONT][FONT=inherit !important]lights[/FONT][/FONT] work when you push the brake. (brake light switch)."[/FONT]

I would start here.

Certified Honda Master Tech...

my aunt had this problem with her 90-something accord and I forget the exact cause but it was $$$ to fix it. If she let the car warm up it would shift fine so that's what she did for nearly a year until she bought a new car. Just something to try and consider as an interim solution.

EDIT: oh I see now you found it was the brake switch it--easier. my aunt's issue wasn't one of those switches, it was the thingy on the transmission side that locks the shifter and was expensive to fix.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom