Calling all experts - can it be that I simply cannot handle Glock (19)? I shoot

why would I want a balanced platform? it is not need to make accurate hits and it adds time. My shooting stance is exactly the same as my krav maga stance. It is designed around being able to move aggressively
if it works for you then that's outstanding. But you're shooting at targets that are at a KD, and you had the opportunity to scout them out beforehand etc. what's an accurate hit? Plate shooting is a blast, no doubt. But it's actually training for the real thing isn't it? In real life if you stood there that long you'd get smoked. An accurate hit is one that hits your target, that is most likely not standing there, he's moving. I don't do Krav Maga, and it seems to work for you so that's good. For the guys that are sucking, we have to come up with something different, and that's the default schoolyard haymaker stance lol.

- - - Updated - - -

you mean fast mag changes?
No, I mean I'm getting shot at, and need cover mag changes.

nope. I get that it's a stable platform, if you're wearing body armor it presents more of it, and allows you to have better presentation. But shooting, moving, and communicating in a real world scenario isn't like the range. Your body knows its default mode when you're actually forced to return fire, I've found that it's your fighting stance. Call it an interview stance, modified Weaver, bladed, whatever. But if you get into the same stance you would use to throw a punch, you'll see its ideal for shooting as well. Rifle or pistol. Pivoting, walking, ( especially if you've done some boxing) is far easier than the isosceles. Give it a try.

Interesting. Have a video of you demonstrating this for us?

why would I want a balanced platform? it is not need to make accurate hits and it adds time. My shooting stance is exactly the same as my krav maga stance. It is designed around being able to move aggressively

When you're getting shot at, your body will naturally lower itself, as to avoid getting hit. Your video is awesome- and I really like that type of dynamic training. But add bullets, and you'll understand what GPP is saying. You'll crouch, take a knee, make your body small. As for a balanced platform- you can't move without balance. You can't fight without balance. You should practice lowering your body as you move with your gun up, moving heel to toe. Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

The Glock trigger is hard to master. Try the following. Load the gun then remove the magazine. Fire the first (and only shot). Pull the trigger again (now dry fire). Did you flinch the second time around? Lather, rinse, repeat.

Also, the 25 cent trigger job can help a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XJxltxvAo4
I do this as well, handing magazines I loaded to the shooters, throw a couple empties in there to watch for the jerk ( or flinch) and also to assess / reinforce immediate action drills. Excellent advice.

When you're getting shot at, your body will naturally lower itself, as to avoid getting hit. Your video is awesome- and I really like that type of dynamic training. But add bullets, and you'll understand what GPP is saying. You'll crouch, take a knee, make your body small. As for a balanced platform- you can't move without balance. You can't fight without balance. You should practice lowering your body as you move with your gun up, moving heel to toe. Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

I can't move with balance, the very essence of movement is being off balance.
Slow is just slow.

im not saying that at all. You appear to be pivoting and moving just fine ( except for the shot you took with just your right foot weighted, that was not a balanced platform).

One of the great things about practical shooting is that it teaches you how to shoot when off balance, but still make the necessary hits. I've seen a grand master make multiple A-zone hits while jumping up and down. If the sights are aligned when the shot breaks, the round will hit the target.

I can't move with balance, the very essence of movement is being off balance.
Slow is just slow.

You can move with balance. You do it everyday my friend! When you walk, you don't fall over- you maintain balance by swinging your arms opposite of the way you move your legs. Same with running. Your body automatically does it- when you do Krav Maga- you need to be balance to fight and counter attack, and attempt to put the attacker off balance. My point is, and again, I shoot at the range using Isosceles the exact same way you do, when you're in a CQB posture- you'll lower your center of gravity, and make yourself a small target almost automatically. Well hopefully. Standing straight up would be bad, unless you want to test out your body armor!

One of the great things about practical shooting is that it teaches you how to shoot when off balance, but still make the necessary hits. I've seen a grand master make multiple A-zone hits while jumping up and down. If the sights are aligned when the shot breaks, the round will hit the target.
Fair enough, and I agree with supermoto, if it works for you, keep doing what you're doing. I'm talking about teaching 17 year old privates and idiot cops that know everything, but can't hit the side of a barn. I'm also teaching guys who are expecting to be taking return fire, which adds something that no training can duplicate. ( yes, even with sims, you still know it's a sim, so your mindset isn't the same)

how many of the guys that do practical shooting wear the same rig when they are out and about? I'd venture a guess supermoto doesn't wear that Sam Browne when he's out at the mall.

Last edited:
Fair enough, and I agree with supermoto, if it works for you, keep doing what you're doing. I'm talking about teaching 17 year old privates and idiot cops that know everything, but can't hit the side of a barn. I'm also teaching guys who are expecting to be taking return fire, which adds something that no training can duplicate. ( yes, even with sims, you still know it's a sim, so your mindset isn't the same)

Yeah, but sim rounds make a valiant effort to come close! I remember my first time... Protective Services School... Ft. Lost in the Woods... 2004... we had some epic sim battles! Ha ha. But not quite as realistic as the other, not-so-fun stuff. Lol

Rifle or pistol. Pivoting, walking, ( especially if you've done some boxing) is far easier than the isosceles. Give it a try.

That's just not my experience. I find shooting on the move much harder in Weaver than in Isosceles. Jerry Miculek talks about it a bit at 19:10 and again at 23:00:

Near as I can tell, all of the top action shooters use Isosceles. If Weaver was better for pivoting and walking, those guys would be using it. But they aren't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but sim rounds make a valiant effort to come close! I remember my first time... Protective Services School... Ft. Lost in the Woods... 2004... we had some epic sim battles! Ha ha. But not quite as realistic as the other, not-so-fun stuff. Lol
dont get me wrong, sims suck ass! But it's like working on the live pigs doing immediate wound treatment, it's still just a pig, not your buddy.

how many of the guys that do practical shooting wear the same rig when they are out and about? I'd venture a guess supermoto doesn't wear that Sam Browne when he's out at the mall.

The belt and holster that I'm wearing don't have much to do with whether I'm going to shoot Weaver or Isosceles. My grip and stance are the same whether I'm shooting my Glock 34 competition gun or my Glock 23 carry gun. I'll obviously be slower on the draw from a concealed holster than my vertical drop competition holster. But that doesn't change how I shoot once I've got the gun out.

http://www.policeone.com/columnists...65-shooting-on-the-move-using-your-instincts/
Based on this article, in a gun fight, shooters use a isosceles, why would you teach anything different

Do you wear the same gear as when you are on patrol as when walking around town?

That's just not my experience. I find shooting on the move much harder in Weaver than in Isosceles. Jerry Miculek talks about it a bit at 19:10 and again at 23:00:

Near as I can tell, all of the top action shooters use Isosceles. If Weaver was better for pivoting and walking, those guys would be using it. But they aren't.

And as soon as a bullet comes flying by, this guy is gonna hit the deck. I would probably start out in Isosceles, but blading and becoming a smaller target is what contributes to survival in CQB. But for competition or range shooting- yes- Isosceles looks and feels much better.

Again, we are talking about live action shooting, at a range. I promise you, if I was in a position of cover, or elevation, or even just some concealment, and you came at me like that, you'd be smoked. I think if the action shooters were getting shot at, it'd be quite different wouldn't it? A few years back, I brought one of those tennis ball launchers to the range when we were doing qualifications. And I ****ing launched tennis balls at the guys while they were shooting right at groin height. It was ****ing hilarious, but also drove the point home, move move move. If you can shoot accurately while moving, that is outstanding, if you can dodge a tennis ball aimed at your nuts and shoot accurately, then you'd get a gold star lol.

Again, we are talking about live action shooting, at a range. I promise you, if I was in a position of cover, or elevation, or even just some concealment, and you came at me like that, you'd be smoked. I think if the action shooters were getting shot at, it'd be quite different wouldn't it? A few years back, I brought one of those tennis ball launchers to the range when we were doing qualifications. And I ****ing launched tennis balls at the guys while they were shooting right at groin height. It was ****ing hilarious, but also drove the point home, move move move. If you can shoot accurately while moving, that is outstanding, if you can dodge a tennis ball aimed at your nuts and shoot accurately, then you'd get a gold star lol.

We are literally saying the same thing, at the same. I wonder why?

And as soon as a bullet comes flying by, this guy is gonna hit the deck. I would probably start out in Isosceles, but blading and becoming a smaller target is what contributes to survival in CQB.

1) All the studies that I've seen say that when bullets start flying, people shoot Isosceles, even if they were trained Weaver.

2) Many (most?) police are taught to stay squared up to the target, so that their body armor is facing the target.

I agree that there are limitations to practice. You cannot duplicate getting fired at, you can only expreience it. I was never a good practice player in sports or career scenario BS. Only once game speed hit was it for real and your true character revealed. Practice you a$$ off and hope if your number gets called you practiced correctly...sims hurt (only a little) but its nothing like the real deal.

Lets be real honest too; most (MOST but not all) shoot outs are up close, personal and ugly as $h!t. There are always exceptions but the day I am attacked, alone and returning fire with several other armed combatants all wanting to kill me...I am screwed no matter how good a shot I am. Only takes one of 'em to turn my lights out.

1) All the studies that I've seen say that when bullets start flying, people shoot Isosceles, even if they were trained Weaver.

2) Many (most?) police are taught to stay squared up to the target, so that their body armor is facing the target.

Yes, you want your body armor to be squared up to the target. If you aren't wearing it, then you will want to blade, to give a smaller target to your vitals.

- - - Updated - - -

You both watch 24?

Negative. Game of Thrones is my show.

I'm missing your point. Are you suggesting that Jerry Miculek can't accurately shoot on the move better than 99.99% of shooters? See 1:40:

Back
Top Bottom