Calling all experts - can it be that I simply cannot handle Glock (19)? I shoot

Yes, I have and firing when the trigger reconnects. I don't release it all the way through.

"The more of your finger"?! I was always taught to use the tip of the finger on the trigger.
Ususally I bury my finger in deep no matter what the situation.
Oh I'm sorry, this wasn't referencing nose picking?
(seriously though, I'm a knuckle puller, not the tip)

we are talking basic marksmanship here, not what you do, or what supermoto does. The basics. Up close is a lot different than far away, right? Point shoulder vs aimed shots.

Sounds like we are in violent agreement. [wink]

- - - Updated - - -

Ususally I bury my finger in deep no matter what the situation.
Oh I'm sorry, this wasn't referencing nose picking?
(seriously though, I'm a knuckle puller, not the tip)

For me it depends upon the gun. When I shoot DA revolvers, I'm definitely using the first knuckle, not the pad. I don't think it really matters as long as you can pull the trigger without disturbing the sights.

Sounds like we are in violent agreement. [wink]

- - - Updated - - -

For me it depends upon the gun. When I shoot DA revolvers, I'm definitely using the first knuckle, not the pad. I don't think it really matters as long as you can pull the trigger without disturbing the sights.
I learned how to shoot on a GP100, so the finger grip has stuck through no matter the type of gun. My DA/SA semi is always knuckled

we are talking basic marksmanship here, not what you do, or what supermoto does. The basics. Up close is a lot different than far away, right? Point shoulder vs aimed shots.

why would they be different? My sight picture at 1 yard is the same at 100 yards, just done faster and with less refinement

why would they be different? My sight picture at 1 yard is the same at 100 yards, just done faster and with less refinement
Then I guess you are just more awesome than me. But, have you ever shot your pistol at 100 yards ? I have. In fact just last week as we transitioned from G23 to G21/30. Myself and a fellow instructor were looking to see the drop from 100 yards ( 2-6 inches, pretty impressive). I will bet you a weeks pay that you can't hit the target from 100 yards in the same amount of time as from 1 yard. I will also go as far as to say, from 100 yards, if you're not focusing on the front sight post, you're not gonna hit the milk bottle at all.

Then I guess you are just more awesome than me. But, have you ever shot your pistol at 100 yards ? I have. In fact just last week as we transitioned from G23 to G21/30. Myself and a fellow instructor were looking to see the drop from 100 yards ( 2-6 inches, pretty impressive). I will bet you a weeks pay that you can't hit the target from 100 yards in the same amount of time as from 1 yard. I will also go as far as to say, from 100 yards, if you're not focusing on the front sight post, you're not gonna hit the milk bottle at all.

here is 25 yards at a shotgun shell. Which would be smaller than a milk bottle at 100 yard. When you and your buddies are done playing tennis, give it a try. Don't forget to get it on video

[video=youtube_share;qKIQT_fUSzs]http://youtu.be/qKIQT_fUSzs[/video]

here is 25 yards at a shotgun shell. Which would be smaller than a milk bottle at 100 yard. When you and your buddies are done playing tennis, give it a try. Don't forget to get it on video

[video=youtube_share;qKIQT_fUSzs]http://youtu.be/qKIQT_fUSzs[/video]
Nice shooting, no doubt. Your speed though, not quite what it was in the other video. And it appears you're firing a 1911 type? If I'm wrong I'm wicked sorry.
I don't play tennis, and I don't feel the need to video myself being awesome.
Come and shoot my G30, at 100 yards. One shot to get it in the milk bottle, offhand ( standing).

92F is has weight distributed over the entire pistol (and may weigh more).
Glocks have a different grip angle and all the weight is in the slide which makes some people flinch.

You just have to learn to shoot it.

I prefer all metal pistols or something with a very low bore axis because I can't shoot glocks worth poo either.

I'm missing your point. Are you suggesting that Jerry Miculek can't accurately shoot on the move better than 99.99% of shooters? See 1:40:

Jerry sure reverted back to that Weaver at 51 seconds though didn't he

Last edited by a moderator:
nope. I get that it's a stable platform, if you're wearing body armor it presents more of it, and allows you to have better presentation. But shooting, moving, and communicating in a real world scenario isn't like the range. Your body knows its default mode when you're actually forced to return fire, I've found that it's your fighting stance. Call it an interview stance, modified Weaver, bladed, whatever. But if you get into the same stance you would use to throw a punch, you'll see its ideal for shooting as well. Rifle or pistol. Pivoting, walking, ( especially if you've done some boxing) is far easier than the isosceles. Give it a try.

This

Lot of dingus and measuring tape in this thread.

I for one always shoot in the position I fight in.....fetal.

Try it, it works well and even better with a whistle placed firmly between the lips with varying degrees of "twwweeeeeeeeeet"s.

[video=youtube_share;1ZXHsNqkDI4]http://youtu.be/1ZXHsNqkDI4[/video]

Tennis balls GPP?

WRENCH. If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a bullet.

GPP - For a cop who is morbidly obese, do you still recommend a bladed stance? It seems like that might actually *increase* his profile in a gunfight.

Huh? At 51 seconds he is shooting a rifle.
indeed he is. The isosceles works for rifles too, obvious your arms aren't the same length, but the shoulder width stance and squat is the same. It's again designed to give maximum exposure of your body armor and a stable platform. And it works for many guys, I don't choose it tho.

- - - Updated - - -

GPP - For a cop who is morbidly obese, do you still recommend a bladed stance? It seems like that might actually *increase* his profile in a gunfight.
Good question. I'll take a few selfies , do some graphs and pie charts, and let you know.

Regarding fighting

Nobody wants to have to defend or fight back from an isosceles stance. You have no base, therefore no power. This doesn't mean that we shouldn't train to fight standing upright shoulders squared feet shoulder width apart. Chances are if you get attacked you'll be standing in this relaxed vulnerable position. You might protect yourself and make the best power from modified iso, but this is your preference and not necessarily the preference of your attacker. You need to be able to adapt, and for this you must most importantly master the transitions from the less desirable fighting positions to one of advantage. That's why you teach ALL THE TECHNIQUES.

So you need to be able to fight in any of these positions, but know the one best that you get hits. That's what really counts, is being able to get hits.

Regarding fighting

Nobody wants to have to defend or fight back from an isosceles stance. You have no base, therefore no power. This doesn't mean that we shouldn't train to fight standing upright shoulders squared feet shoulder width apart. Chances are if you get attacked you'll be standing in this relaxed vulnerable position. You might protect yourself and make the best power from modified iso, but this is your preference and not necessarily the preference of your attacker. You need to be able to adapt, and for this you must most importantly master the transitions from the less desirable fighting positions to one of advantage. That's why you teach ALL THE TECHNIQUES.

So you need to be able to fight in any of these positions, but know the one best that you get hits. That's what really counts, is being able to get hits.
But do you have videos of yourself doing this? Kidding.

The difference between iso and weaver is upper body. Not foot position. Why would you go from a neutral position were you can transition to both sides quickly to a position were recoil is only transfered to the strong side and you are limiting your transitions and peripheral vision to your weak side.

I have some fights I could upload but I prefer the 'hands on' approach to teaching. Hehehehe. Best way to learn.

The difference between iso and weaver is upper body. Not foot position. Why would you go from a neutral position were you can transition to both sides quickly to a position were recoil is only transfered to the strong side and you are limiting your transitions and peripheral vision to your weak side.

What I'm saying is as far as real fighting goes, maybe you need to defend someone else, and you push them behind you to defend them with your weak hand, which puts your shoulders in a weaver positioning, while you (draw and fire) or (block a stick and counter attack) or whatever, and then as soon as you make space you can transition to your ISO (which is better for shooting) or your mod ISO (which works best for me for open hand fighting). I guess I'm saying you'll start out in a less than ideal body position because of environment and circumstances, and your training needs to include perfect transitions between the less advantageous positioning and the ones that are most effective, repetitively, until it becomes muscle memory.

Last edited:

Im more of a " fighting" position guy, which for me is left foot forward, basically a boxing stance. It works for me, I can pivot and step etc. Iso doesn't work for me, perhaps I'm not built properly for it? I've tried it, and always default to my boxing days. Peripheral vision for me is the same, recoil isn't a problem either. What works for you and for me is what's perfect for each of us. When someone is just learning, we try different things until he/ she gets comfortable, and is hitting. Sometimes it's the Iso, sometimes it's not.

I have some fights I could upload but I prefer the 'hands on' approach to teaching. Hehehehe. Best way to learn.
So true....... I learned that the hard way when I was younger lol. Boxing is all fine and well, until you end up with someone who can grapple lol. Grappling ( just my opinion here...) is probably the best all around street fighting skill there is.

Back
Top Bottom