Came across this, New SIG 556 Rifle

It just doesn't look large enough to eject. I'd like to see a video of it firing so I can see how it ejects.

From what it looks like, the part with the #0447 is part of the bolt or carrier. That would make the ejection wide enough, but it still looks short.

Price doesn't seem outrageous considering what their pistols go for.

I'd pick one up. Only concern would be replacement parts in a SHTF situation. Maybe another AR would make more sense? Dreaming about a 16 inch Bushy w/and EOTech.

Been discussed for a while now at various other forums.

Have heard they're to be available late '06. Won't be any price gougin' on these at first huh? [roll]

SIG556-splash.jpg

If it didn't have the silly rails all over the fore-end, I'd seriously consider one just cause I don't have a centerfire autoloader. Oh, well. :?

Besdies this and the FN PS-90, looks like maybe the possibilty of a civilian Styer AUG may not be too far away either. They're making them stateside now down in Mississippi.

BlkHawk73 said:
Besdies this and the FN PS-90, looks like maybe the possibilty of a civilian Styer AUG may not be too far away either. They're making them stateside now down in Mississippi.

I share with my liberal brethens a deep fondness for diversity. [lol]

I got the inside track on this rifle today at work.
My supervisor who just got back from the Shot Show said that it was a huge hit and that the Sig booth was so crowed at times that he had to stand outside the booth.
The 556 will be in production here in Exeter sometime this summer.

Question is, will they make one in post-ban configuration (no flash suppressor or bayo lug) for those of us in occupied territory?

There were two Sig556's at Al's Gun and Reel in Derry on Friday. Price was $1295.
They were not MA compliant; flash hider and un-pinned stock.

Just pondering....
Since the "AW" status of a long gun is apparently determined by its' features when inported to this PC hellhole, why couldn't some competent out of state gunsmith simply pin the stock and replace the flashhider witha pinned comp before shipping here?
Seems simple enough. What am I missing?

I fired a post sample MG version of this weapon.

It rocks.

Just pondering....
Since the "AW" status of a long gun is apparently determined by its' features when inported to this PC hellhole, why couldn't some competent out of state gunsmith simply pin the stock and replace the flashhider witha pinned comp before shipping here?
Seems simple enough. What am I missing?

Why go through the trouble of bastardizing this weapon for only a few states ?

SIG doesn't need our business,either does HK or Glock.

Last edited:

Why go through the trouble of bastardizing this weapon for only a few states ?

SIG doesn't need our business,either does HK or Glock.

I was not suggesting that Sig modify the gun. I thought that a person could buy one from an out of state source and have it shipped to an out of state gunsmith to be neutered before shipping it in to MA. An extra expense but folks who buy Sigs don't seem to buy on price.[wink]

As to whether Sig needs our business, probably not. However, I give Sig a lot of credit for going to the trouble to make many of their handguns available MA compliant. I'm just pleased as punch with my recently aquired stainless P226M.

Looks cool. I wonder if they'll make a MASS compliant model.

If they don't you could always "make" your own, at considerably
increased cost. EG, buy the rifle in NH, have it sent to a gunsmith,
and then have it refitted for compliance (fixed stock, remove FH and replace
with perma brake or substitute) and then bring it back over the
line and register it. A pain in the ass, though. I don't think there is a
bayo lug on there, but if so, that might have to be dealt with, too.

-Mike

It just doesn't look large enough to eject. I'd like to see a video of it firing so I can see how it ejects.

The ejection port is functionally pretty similar to this one: (Sig 550 series).

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as25-e.htm

Basically the Sig 55x action is what happens when you take an AK and you
tell the Swiss to remake it correctly. I don't know much about this new gun,
though. (It's made in NH and is NOT a swissarms product.) One complaint is a bunch
of people are whining about it being front heavy. I get the impression though that
SIGARMS will make it with several different bbl options eventually, which will help it
somewhat. The original 550/551/552 gets a rough rap for being too heavy though, but this
gun is a bit lighter than those are.

-Mike

Last edited:
I fired a post sample MG version of this weapon.

It rocks.

Of a 556? Or a 550? Keep in mind the 550 series rifles/machineguns are made
by Swissarms, and aren't even made here (They're merely imported by
SIGARMS) whereas most/all the parts in the 556 are assembled in Exeter, NH,
by SIGARMS. Shared IP and trademarks but not the same factory, that's
for sure. I agree that the principles are the same... I just hope that SIGARMS will
"get this one right" for a change, instead of their disasters
like the original GSR and the Mosquito.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom