Camo uniform wear?

Every time I see anyone walking around in any version of the digital camo I feel sorry for them. Whoever authorized those patterns and thought they would actually help you avoid detection was a moron. MC is a far superior pattern. I also think the more common use of camo in public hurts the overall pride and perception of the military, IMO, YMMV.

the woodland patter is outdated for MOUT. [laugh] at this point, we could all wear speedos and it wouldn't matter because of our superior training and firepower.

i like what the coasties wear.

All of them. They all attract your eye to them. Complete fail on the purpose of camo. The human eye is very good at picking out straight lines, even small ones. IMO all digital camo patterns in the military should be eliminated. Either go back to the old patterns or move on to something better like variations of MC.

At distance your eyes do not have the power to resolve the lines on the digital pattern.

I don't know how it is today, but when I was in it was a lot easier to pick up a chick when you wore Khakis starched stiff as a board, spit-shined Corcoran jump boots, and a Screaming Eagle patch.

And also, a Garrison hat with the Glider patch.....none of those pussy berets![rofl][rofl]

I read this somewhere and don't remember where but when there is a war situation, such as the middle east, and US armed forces are in combat roles, members of the military are allowed to step out in public wearing battle dress. I understand its at the discretion of the individual and considered a show of solidarity if you will for their colleagues in a war zone.

I read this somewhere and don't remember where but when there is a war situation, such as the middle east, and US armed forces are in combat roles, members of the military are allowed to step out in public wearing battle dress. I understand its at the discretion of the individual and considered a show of solidarity if you will for their colleagues in a war zone.

You are correct which is why Recruiters wear ACUs now, and you even see staff at the Pentagon (to me it smacks of wannabe but my view is probably distorted). Sort of like suiting up even though you are on the bench. Funny though, I never saw a picture of Eisenhower or MacArthur in a combat uniform...

see post 10.

http://www.armyg1.army.mil/hr/Uniform/docs/ACU, BDU, DBDU approved message.pdf
2. WE ARE A NATION AT WAR, AND THE UNITED STATES ARMY IS THE MOST TRUSTED ORGANIZATION TO THE AMERICAN PUBLIC. TO KEEP THE DEDICATED EFFORTS OF OUR SOLDIERS VISIBLE TO THE AMERICAN PUBLIC, THE ACU, BDU, AND DBDU ARE AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR DURING COMMERCIAL TRAVEL BOTH CONUS AND OCONUS. IN OCONUS AREAS, COMMANDERS WILL LIMIT TRAVEL IN UNIFORM TO MILITARY AIRLIFT COMMAND (MAC) FLIGHTS OR AMERICAN FLAGGED CARRIERS. COMMANDERS AND LEADERS WILL ENSURE SOLDIERS PRESENT A PROFESSIONAL APPEARANCE AND REFLECT POSITIVELY ON THE ARMY AT ALL TIMES. THE REST AND RECUPERATION PROGRAM HAS BEEN A TREMENDOUS SUCCESS AND THE POLICY REGARDING WEAR OF THE ACU AND DBDU DURING THIS PROGRAM REMAINS IN EFFECT.

note: this does NOT apply to joe snuffy throwing on his ACUs to try and get a 1st Class seat while he's on regular leave from home station. not saying it doesn't happen, but the Class B or ASU is more appropriate if joe snuffy wants to impregnate his high school sweet heart.

You are correct which is why Recruiters wear ACUs now, and you even see staff at the Pentagon (to me it smacks of wannabe but my view is probably distorted). Sort of like suiting up even though you are on the bench. Funny though, I never saw a picture of Eisenhower or MacArthur in a combat uniform...

[rolleyes] it has SERVED as a constant reminder since 9/11 because even those people at the pentagon found themselves in combat. just like the recruiter station that was shot up, and the soldier readiness center in Fort Hood, TX, which would have been in class B's. the point, which you personally do not need to understand is that there are no front and rear lines anymore. hey, two more troops were killed at an iHOP last week.

this is also why the Combat Action Badge was implemented as well. change happens, as a Sr. NCO i don't have agree, i have to understand the reasoning behind it and enforce the standards. [thinking] just like the US ARMY Black Beret, the ACU, the M9... i don't like them either. however, i am proficient and well educated on the proper wear and use of these items and will instill a sense of pride onto any subordinate who "feels" they shouldn't. you use watcha got... not watcha want.

i'm probably the sharpest mo' fo' i know when it comes to this shit. [laugh] [rofl]

or maybe we should all look like shit bags because we miss the BDUs. that will set an awesome example for the younger troops and public. walking around in shit stains.

As a non military guy who flies a lot and sees soldiers in uniform all the time, I've always regarded it as a constant reminder that we have men and women in harms way every day. The kid I see in the airport might not be headed to an open war zone but, as has been mentioned, a uniform is a target on it's own these days so what place isn't a war zone?

While you military guys have your opinions about specific uniforms, at least for this civilian, BDU, ACU or whatever it still just triggers respect from me and a reminder that a whole lot of people put their lives on the line everyday so the only thing I have to bitch about when I fly is only getting a half can of Coke.

As a non military guy who flies a lot and sees soldiers in uniform all the time, I've always regarded it as a constant reminder that we have men and women in harms way every day. The kid I see in the airport might not be headed to an open war zone but, as has been mentioned, a uniform is a target on it's own these days so what place isn't a war zone?

While you military guys have your opinions about specific uniforms, at least for this civilian, BDU, ACU or whatever it still just triggers respect from me and a reminder that a whole lot of people put their lives on the line everyday so the only thing I have to bitch about when I fly is only getting a half can of Coke.

+1

i fly in civilian clothes and see them all the time too. i usually just smile and nod. try to not to draw attention to them or myself.

note: the policy is to wear the uniform on "US" Carriers. not some Air Egypt or British Airways. a set of civilian clothing is usually on the packing list for the sand box. but you can still spot a troop a mile away. gee, nice ACU duffle bag you got there. [laugh]

Again, not true. The Navy and Marines cannot wear their camo anywhere but to, at, and from work (although the Navy makes provisions for short stops during commuting, and meals during the workday, and I've seen Marines eating out as well at lunch)

Navy personnel in the DC area cannot wear their NWUs while commuting - only while working.

mark056 said:
Original post redacted

All I took from this is that you hate the berets, the M9, the M16 series, and NCOs who enforce uniform regulations.

Last edited:
Again, not true. The Navy and Marines cannot wear their camo anywhere but to, at, and from work (although the Navy makes provisions for short stops during commuting, and meals during the workday, and I've seen Marines eating out as well at lunch)

Navy personnel in the DC area cannot wear their NWUs while commuting - only while working.

All I took from this is that you hate the berets, the M9, the M16 series, and NCOs who enforce uniform regulations.

I deleted my post because I was in rant mode. You are are correct about points one and two, but certainly not three and I don't know how you could come to that conclusion. When I was an NCO and when I was an officer I always enforced the uniform regulations even if I disagreed with certain policies. If you somehow think that I disrespect the NCO corps then that is an incorrect assumption.

Sorry you were so quick on the trigger and decided to quote me in toto as there are parts of that rant post I am not particularly proud of.

The Air Force ABU wear policy allows for them to be worn most anywhere that other work uniforms (UPS, Auto mech) are worn. The exception being bars and similar places.

Wear on an aircraft, as someone else mentioned, is usually to or from a sandy AOR. There is no room for dress uniforms and no need for civilian clothing.

Personally I feel fine when traveling in a group to be wearing my ABUs. If I am traveling alone, I'll look like any other middle aged guy flying to someplace unknown.

The only thing the ACU is good for is hiding from the wife when she needs help cleaning...

CamouflageCouch.jpg

Attachments

• CamouflageCouch.jpg
    CamouflageCouch.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 15
The only times i had to fly civillian i had to fly Class A greens.... More times than not i'd get upgraded to fly first class....

From my HTC EVO via Tapatalk

I do hate french hats, M9(Don't care what anyone says, terrible weapon system), and the bulky one size does not fit all M16.

As for NCO's, can't disrespect the stripes. (you may bitch and complain, but at the end of the day it shows you what NOT to do as an NCO and treat your joes right) and when a size 10 boot has to be implemented in correction, use it.

That's why our unit has patrol caps (wicked improvement over french hats, but still no Garrison cap) M11s (oh SO much better than M9s), and M4s.

But that's just me. Used all of them and that is what I like, and can shoot expert in, so why mess with a good thing.

YourResultsMayVary.

the woodland patter is outdated for MOUT. [laugh] at this point, we could all wear speedos and it wouldn't matter because of our superior training and firepower.

i like what the coasties wear.

I wear the Coast Guard ODUs when I'm volunteering at the ANT in Boston or when I'm on a patrol. They are very, very warm in the Summer. They're heavier than the old winter weight BDUs I was issued when I was in the Navy. Like the other work uniforms from the other services, it needs to be redesigned.

Garrison Cap! That's the proper name for that cover. I always forget. The other name is somehow the only one that comes to mind.
Main reason I went to OCS, although the "bus driver's hat" was only a small improvement.
418110000_kqDgq-M.jpg

Last edited:
...They're heavier than the old winter weight BDUs I was issued when I was in the Navy.

i always wondered WTF the navy had camo uniforms, i mean....
is that to hide from the deck boss or whoever you squids hide from?

i mean.... blue camo? yeh, so when you fall overboard there's NO hope of finding you in the water?
if i were in the navy my uniform would be safety orange with strobe lights at each limb......

they still make the navy wear bell bottoms and sing village people songs?

:)

Yes.

i mean.... blue camo? yeh, so when you fall overboard there's NO hope of finding you in the water?
if i were in the navy my uniform would be safety orange with strobe lights at each limb......

If you fall overboard, there's a good chance you're ****ed anyway. Float coats come with a strobe and dye pouch, but if you don't have one on, good luck.

Only at ceremonies and NJP.

If you fall overboard, there's a good chance you're ****ed anyway. Float coats come with a strobe and dye pouch, but if you don't have one on, good luck.

We did an experiment at school once. We threw a cardboard box about 2x the size of an avg human skull off the fantail in a calm sea going ~10kts. Took about a minute and a half before it was no longer distinguishable from 1-2ft rollers.

Water-colored camo or not, you're screwed without flotation, and some signaling apparatus.

And so I actually add something to the conversation, the old Navy boilersuits were the best.

SeaBees, Naval Coastal Warfare, and other communities work on land, and this was the best uniform for the job.

Back
Top Bottom