• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Camp Ethan Allen Training site is out!

The Vermont Army NG. has become very unfriendly to civilian shooters. The use of a range for NRA/CMP Matches will cost $140 whether you have 2 shooters or 200. So 2021 will be my last at CEATS.

So, I need a new place to shoot Mid-Range Prone, Garand or Springfield matches. Suggestions?

I don't dare bring my firearms to Mass or NY. Only because my mid range gun is one of those scary AR fully-semi automatics!

The Vermont Army NG. has become very unfriendly to civilian shooters. The use of a range for NRA/CMP Matches will cost $140 whether you have 2 shooters or 200. So 2021 will be my last at CEATS.

So, I need a new place to shoot Mid-Range Prone, Garand or Springfield matches. Suggestions?

I don't dare bring my firearms to Mass or NY. Only because my mid range gun is one of those scary AR fully-semi automatics!
It's spreading. I heard match shooters complaining that Fort Devens is now charging $250 if I recall correctly- again whether is 2 shooters or 200.

Coincidence?

It's spreading. I heard match shooters complaining that Fort Devens is now charging $250 if I recall correctly- again whether is 2 shooters or 200.

Coincidence?
With more and more people seeing zero value in firearm competition or civilians being trained properly. it was bound to happen that these people would put in a position to make those decisions.

With more and more people seeing zero value in firearm competition or civilians being trained properly. it was bound to happen that these people would put in a position to make those decisions.
My understanding is that it was the base commander's decision and that appeals fell on deaf ears. Seeing this happen at 2 different sites at roughly the same time makes one wonder if a directive originated from somewhere else. It would be interesting to know if other clubs using military facilities are being squeezed out.

To be clear, CMP traveling games is still on for Sept. At least according to the CMP website.

That is an interesting "coincidence" 🤔
That's a big event. I have competed in every one since it started- I think 4 or 5? Use of barracks, mess hall, multiple ranges, etc. are paid for by the collective fees. In my opinion not connected at all.

That's a big event. I have competed in every one since it started- I think 4 or 5? Use of barracks, mess hall, multiple ranges, etc. are paid for by the collective fees. In my opinion not connected at all.
I've been support staff for every one of them. Even competed in a few matches. I will be at this year's match. But with no way of practicing close by it'll be another humbling year of shooting.

The post was more referring to the other matches held over the summer. Mid range prone, Garand and other matches.

I've been support staff for every one of them. Even competed in a few matches. I will be at this year's match. But with no way of practicing close by it'll be another humbling year of shooting.

The post was more referring to the other matches held over the summer. Mid range prone, Garand and other matches.
Gotcha, that's what I figured. I don't think the New England Games are the reason they hosed the club for smaller matches. Seems to be a pattern that might be worth investigating- base commanders squeezing out civilian matches that probably have as many or more vets & reserves as non-vets/reserves.

Probably bumped into you at one of the NE Games. On CMP's New England Games web page, that's me sitting on the stool, looking through a spotting scope and scoring for someone. This was before they had the electronic targets.

NewEnglandCMPGames-300x182.jpg

I'm sometimes doing head count at breakfast. Other than that I'm usually hard to find. I was the guy who sat in the woods as Range Guard, till that ended. Now I'm just general support getting ranges ready, setting up targets frames and cutting the grass where the state guys miss. Luckily, I have plenty of days off saved up so I can take all the time off to work the whole match.

Pic was from a few years ago. Fat man in a "Sausage coat"!

Attachments

• 20181118_122928.jpg
    20181118_122928.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 12
LOL I was originally going to post that's my fat ass on the stool. Nobody gonna mistake us for lacrosse bros.

Twice per month practice plus match every quarter could total $7K in fees assuming Devens is charging $250 per use. Reasonable?

Don't know if that is reasonable or unreasonable...if that the only issue then it seems much todo about nothing....Just saying.

OP has posted in the appropriate forum for such issues and I'm glad he did. Those of us who compete regularly and use such facilities don't want the cost to become 4X higher.

Are you lost? Need a link to shit post central (Off Topic)? Ok I feel better now. [laugh] Just busting your balls.

Back
Top Bottom