(Camping) Range report - Napier Sportz III Truck Tent. UPDATE: RA# & Shipping label!

UPDATE! Recieved RA# and Shipping label via email today. Next thing is to send them the confirmation/tracking number so I can get my refund. Took 8 days longer than their website says, but at least it's here!

Attempting to get a refund for the failed product and I'm getting stuck in the round around between the 2 companies...see post #8 for updates.

I went up to my family's land in the central part of Maine last thursday and just got back today. I had ordered this tent at the end of June from Auto Anything and had it within 2 or 3 days. Seems like a great site, I got free shipping and it arrived quickly.

Before I left, I set it up in the back yard to make sure everything was in the box that was supposed to be, work out the kinks of setup etc. Basically, the tent is unrolled and laid in the bed of the truck, the door is placed at the end of the tailgate. Then, there are 3 straps that go over each side of the bed, and 2 that attach to the tailgate which all hold it in place. 1 short pole is inserted, 2 more across the top, one inside, and one on the end to hold the door up.

This is when I started having problems. The instructions were some what vague and non-specific about certain parts of the setup. Included with the tent are fuzzy "strap protectors" that slide over the straps that anchor the tent to the truck; the instructions simply tell you that there are 4 long ones and 2 short ones, line them up and slip them on. I wasn't sure if the short covers were supposed to go on the tailgate, or over the wheel well...seems like there should have been 8 strap protectors since there are 8 straps. Minor details, but for $220 I would have liked more info in the instructions. As I was clipping one of the tailgate straps on (this is the first time it's out of the box remember) the female end broke. After the poles were all in place and the tent was erect, I had to man handle it into it's appropriate place in the bed, and tighten/loosen the straps a few times. There is also an awning that rolls out over the door and is supported by two adjustable poles, my frustration was too high to mess with the poles, so I just rolled it up and called it a day. [laugh] All told it took about an hour to set up. I broke it down and packed it up for the trip.

So, fast forward to July 2, Maine. I set it up following the instructions again, the broken clip was still holding. I had been in contact with the website support staff about the issue, though I hadn't had enough time to get it exchanged before the trip. Setup went a lot smoother the 2nd time around, and I had it up in about 20 minutes. The pole that supports the door/opening was under a lot of tension on either side,(it was the same in the backyard, but held for about 5 hours) and snapped on the right side. This left the door collapsed at the end of the tent.

I had put a twin sized mattress inside, combined with the collapsed door I could barely see outside. I had the 2 windows and triangular flaps open for ventilation, and the rain fly over the top. I'm some what claustrophobic, so the limited visibility at night lead to some violent and abrupt wake-ups. [laugh] I ended up taking the rain fly off, and got a little wet on one or two nights, but it was worth it to get some sleep.

The tent came down easy enough, and rolled back up for the ride home.

Overall, I think it's a good concept, but it was not executed well. Vague instructions and poor quality materials lead to disappointment and failure. I'll be contacting AutoAnything tomorrow to arrange for a return and refund.

100_2345.jpg

100_2347.jpg

100_2355.jpg

100_2352.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

Last edited:
Hurts to sleep on the bed doesn't it.

Looks like it could have been engineered a bit better but if they are making it to fit a generic truck bed I guess that's as good as it gets?

Hurts to sleep on the bed doesn't it.

Looks like it could have been engineered a bit better but if they are making it to fit a generic truck bed I guess that's as good as it gets?

It wasn't too bad with the mattress in there. I made sure to get the right size for the bed length, didn't think there'd be much variation between makes/models, but who knows, haha.

What is claustrophobia?

Dictionary.com says "an abnormal fear of being in enclosed or narrow places." I felt like I was trapped in there when I couldn't see out the windows or door.

Better to be on the ground. Truck beds are cold, often unpleasant places to sleep.

It was really hot up there last week, high 90's and 60%+ humidity!

UPDATE!

I'm trying to get a full refund for the tent as it is a failure. I contacted AutoAnything via email last week, they requested pictures of the damages. I sent them the pictures that same day. They wrote me an email claiming they forwarded the pictures to the manufacturer on Friday the 9th.

I called AutoAnything today for an update, was told that they've sent the pictures over and are awaiting response from the manufacturer.[thinking] I then call the manufacturer to see what can be done to expedite the process, as I'm now out $220 and a broken tent is sitting in my living room, they tell me they have not received anything from AutoAnything and go on to explain the complicated process that needs to take place. [frown]

I call AutoAnything back and a nice enough fellow tells me he will attempt to contact the rep that supposedly sent the photos on friday to see if they still have them, and then resend them. Otherwise, they will require additional photos from me to be resent. I should hear back from them within the next couple of hours on the pictures...[angry]

It's now been 1 full week since I sent them the pictures of the damage as they requested. I called at least 6 times during the week to AutoAnything, and the manufacturer Napier. They both told me they were waiting on the other one before they could do anything. I have sent the pictures twice to AutoAnything, and even directly to Napier. I went on to AutoAnything's website to request a Return Authorization Number myself, and got the company's catch phrase: Someone will be in contact with you within 24 to 48 hours. FALSE. I got another email yesterday saying the original person, from last friggin week was in contact with the manufacturer that morning. 6:30 PM friday, no word.

I sent an email to them explaining if I don't get the necessary forms, UPS call tag, and refund process started by Monday, I will be calling my bank to stop payment, the BBB, the CA and MA AG, and so on. This is RIDICULOUS!

I'm not excusing their delayed response, but I could understand if they have a poor history of responses to refund requests.

I can imagine a lot of folks buying their product for a one time need and then returning it when their need has passed.

Unfortunately it probably affects folks like you who have a real product defect.

auto anythings customer service ####.

im not going to candy coat this one, you ###### up by ordering from them. its one thing when they get your order right and you have no problems but when somethings wrong there the worst.

something like that you should have odered from cabelas or bass pro.

its not a delayed response, and in the end your going to be lucky if it cost you a shipping cost to get a refund.

I still have hope:

Email received today said:
Dear Mr. meth0d,

I apologize for the delay in responding to you as I was out of the office for a few days ill.

Napier has received your photos and requested we fax over a return request to them on 7/14/2010. I submitted the paperwork requesting the Return Authorization and call tag to be issued to you. I will follow up on Monday with Napier to find out what the delay is.

Once again, I apologize for the delay in obtaining your return authorization.

Regards,
AutoAnything Customer Service Team

Recieved RA# and Shipping label via email today. Next thing is to send them the confirmation/tracking number so I can get my refund. Took 8 days longer than their website says, but at least it's here!

Back
Top Bottom