Campus police officer?

wasralex22

NES Member
I was searching threw jobs listing and "campus police" came up. I was reading threw requirements and it listed "minimum requirements" I forgot the actual college. But, is this normal? Is campus police just a better word for security? I really never looked into the job and, now I'm curious.

I was searching threw jobs listing and "campus police" came up. I was reading threw requirements and it listed "minimum requirements" I forgot the actual college. But, is this normal? Is campus police just a better word for security? I really never looked into the job and, now I'm curious.

Well you'd fail on the grammar aspect of your application right there [laugh]

No they go through the academy just like your local cops do.

It's a complicated mess (like everything in Ma). Some have full time PDs, and some have plain old security

I can't find the job posting now. But, the pay was decent. It mentioned having a LTC. I'm assuming this would be regular campus police? I've seen several posting for BCC and the requirements are those of a regular LEO. Wish I had applied when I had seen the posting.

It depends on the state. In MA, campus police are frequently full sworn police forces, even though they are paid (in the case of private colleges) by non-governmental entities. Ditto for railroad police. The ASPCA has a similar arrangement for some of its animal control functionaries.

Why be a human garbage collector working nights weekend and holidays? To to school and become and electrician. The solar boom has pushed demand way up. The oil boom too. Ever see an electrical contractor with a shitbox truck?

What is BCC?

To be a fully sworn campus cop (with special state police powers) requires going thru the FT PO police academy the same as every municipal PO.

The job itself is VERY DIFFERENT from being a municipal PO. You are there to protect the kids from their own stupidity not to bust heads . . . this is exactly what I was told when I started working at one of the largest ivy league colleges many years ago.

Your police powers are limited (more so by college policy than by MGL) and you are not LEOSA qualified (unless you work for a state school).

Some colleges only have "security" with no legal authority to arrest, so the job is different depending on how the college structures the department.

You are there to protect the kids from their own stupidity not to bust heads . . . this is exactly what I was told when I started working at one of the largest ivy league colleges many years ago.

Or from what I've seen, it's often not the kids that are the problem, but a lot of colleges in MA are located in or near big dump cities, or they are in, or adjacent to bad areas within big dump cities. Undesireables who live in these BDCs have this annoying tendency to mess with college campuses, public and private. Hell I was with a member of this forum one night who does this kind of thing, and we were just chatting it up a bit and in the process he pinged a bunch of retards with his flashlight lumbering around a building they didn't belong at. None of these people were from the college itself.

-Mike

Babysitting college aged children with added liabilities?? Phuck that, I'd rather care for dogs, they're smarter.

What is BCC?

To be a fully sworn campus cop (with special state police powers) requires going thru the FT PO police academy the same as every municipal PO.

The job itself is VERY DIFFERENT from being a municipal PO. You are there to protect the kids from their own stupidity not to bust heads . . . this is exactly what I was told when I started working at one of the largest ivy league colleges many years ago.

Your police powers are limited (more so by college policy than by MGL) and you are not LEOSA qualified (unless you work for a state school).

Some colleges only have "security" with no legal authority to arrest, so the job is different depending on how the college structures the department.

Even the muni side sucks. Nights weekends holidays. Most don't have Quinn bill anymore so you have to work a lot of ot. Miss out with family and friends. If you think your gonna be kicking in doors think again. That's mostly the swat dudes. That's a whole other article. Read the local police reports, car accidents, domestic violence, noise complaints. Gets old real quick.

If your young and motivated and want to make money work in IT, electrician, civil engineering, medical field, or something science based. Will give you a good Pay check to buy lots of toys and time for family. Want excitement join the army and get deployed for a year. You come to realize life is too short. Enjoy it. Don't spend it as a human garbage collector.

Join a gym and do mma if you need your fight fix. Not crapping on guys that do the job but I think for what you give up and get paid and what you deal with in this suit happy ebt fueled communist gulag loaded with community advocates and doiche bag lawyers- not worth it

Last edited:
Or from what I've seen, it's often not the kids that are the problem, but a lot of colleges in MA are located in or near big dump cities, or they are in, or adjacent to bad areas within big dump cities. Undesireables who live in these BDCs have this annoying tendency to mess with college campuses, public and private. Hell I was with a member of this forum one night who does this kind of thing, and we were just chatting it up a bit and in the process he pinged a bunch of retards with his flashlight lumbering around a building they didn't belong at. None of these people were from the college itself.

-Mike

Indeed. I was hired by BC PD after a co-ed was raped in the dorm by someone who came in the back door (kids jacked them open all the time, and left suite doors open to the hallway). Student gov't demanded more "police protection" and a bunch of us who were already sworn and trained PT POs in various communities were hired. Kids still jacked the back doors open and left suite doors open, but we did patrol the dorms from 7PM to 3AM Thursday thru Sunday nights. One night some machete wielding guy (not student) started a fight in a dorm parking lot . . . lots of fun considering we were unarmed! Indeed most of the trouble came from outside the campus, figuring the dorms as "soft targets" (they were thanks to brain-dead student behavior).

Babysitting college aged children with added liabilities?? Phuck that, I'd rather care for dogs, they're smarter.

Indeed we got threatened with "my daddy will sue you" with some frequency by drunks (students) mis-behaving.

Even the muni side sucks. Nights weekends holidays. Most don't have Quinn bill anymore so you have to work a lot of to. Miss out with family and friends. If you think your gonna be kicking in doors think again. That's mostly the swat dudes. That's a whole other article. Read the local police reports, car accidents, domestic violence, noise complaints. Gets old real quick.

If your young and motivated and want to make money work in IT, electrician, civil engineering, medical field, or something science based. Will give you a good Pay check to buy lots of toys and time for family. Want excitement join the army and get deployed for a year. You come to realize life is too short. Enjoy it. Don't spend it as a human garbage collector.

Join a gym and do mma if you need your fight fix. Not crapping on guys that do the job but I think for what you give up and get paid and what you deal with in this suit happy ebt fueled communist gulag loaded with community advocates and doiche bag lawyers- not worth it

Indeed, as a PT Muni PO we were expected to be available for all town events (unpaid of course). I spent 17 July 4th (plus 1-2 additional days for town events over that holiday) working for free instead of enjoying the time with family/friends. The town used to make a 3-day event out of July 4th and I averaged 16+ hrs unpaid work mandatory every year. I worked more 4-12 or midnight-8AM shifts (paid) than day shifts. Had the Lt. beg me to work 2 shifts (straight lowest patrolman pay) on Christmas (midnight-8 and then 4-12)! I miss working with the FT POs but I don't miss the holiday and night work!

If your young and motivated and want to make money work in IT, electrician, civil engineering, medical field, or something science based.
Good advice, however, do not underestimate the earning power of a police officer in Boston or in the MSP, especially when you consider the ability to retire in one's 50's with a decent pension and continued medical. Try sacking away enough to do that working the IT or medical sector (in a non-MD position) unless you get lucky on an option or are one of the lucky few who has the personal characteristics to ride the promotion latter to the executive suite.

Unless you are a Badass Operator / MallSamurai forget about it, you have a better chance becoming a Navy Seal. I had 5 of them on me once because the "STOP" at the STOP sign wasn't long enough.[grin], I mean you have to impress the college girls somehow you know.

It usually depends on what college or university police department it is. Some are pretty legit police departments with full-time MPTC academies and municipal affiliations. Others have more of a security function and are good stepping stones. Others are in the middle. Private colleges/universities may be more likely to have a softer, hands off approach. State universities may have a more hands on, harder approach. But other smaller state schools still may have a softer approach to policing.

Basically get your foot into any job you can and strive to get an academy. Then take the training and move up the ladder.

If it is a university like UMASS or Bridgewater, they are legit polic offers, I believe state police. However, smaller private colleges are most likely unarmed security guards.

It usually depends on what college or university police department it is. Some are pretty legit police departments with full-time MPTC academies and municipal affiliations. Others have more of a security function and are good stepping stones. Others are in the middle. Private colleges/universities may be more likely to have a softer, hands off approach. State universities may have a more hands on, harder approach. But other smaller state schools still may have a softer approach to policing.

Basically get your foot into any job you can and strive to get an academy. Then take the training and move up the ladder.

True, when I went to work for BC PD, we were told that we were basically there to protect the students from their own stupidity, NOT to crack heads. Students got away with a lot vs. what would happen (arrest) if it happened in a municipal setting. Some campus cops have a hard time with that and thus some wash out. If the PD is armed, they must go thru a MPTC (or other) police academy. If they are merely security guards (Securitas, like at another college I worked in IT), they don't even have to speak English (grrr) and most would never be able to graduate any police academy!

If it is a university like UMASS or Bridgewater, they are legit polic offers, I believe state police. However, smaller private colleges are most likely unarmed security guards.

State schools = Mass State Police officers, with full powers to issue speeding tickets, etc. Other colleges can NOT legally enforce C. 90 laws (except administratively thru the college disciplinary process).

It's a battle with the BOD for small colleges to accept the idea that their police should be armed and have arrest powers. It was many years battling Ted Kennedy and Father Drinan at BC BOD before BCPD was allowed police powers and weapons. Now they are a better trained and more professional police force than many municipalities! They also spend tons of money for training where muni departments skate by with the minimum due to concerns about budget and OT!

It depends. I went to Wentworth, a small private college. However, the police there went to the state municipal academy. They were also all deputized as Suffolk County Sheriffs. They had general police powers as long as they were on duty and on campus. Better than flashlight carrying security, but not quite full police responsibilities/privileges.

It depends. I went to Wentworth, a small private college. However, the police there went to the state municipal academy. They were also all deputized as Suffolk County Sheriffs. They had general police powers as long as they were on duty and on campus. Better than flashlight carrying security, but not quite full police responsibilities/privileges.

Some schools have both. Campus Security aka Mall cops and Campus Police which are usually "Special Police Officers" and have the limited powers from above. I know Tufts University in Medford has both.

I worked 5 years campus security part time Friday and Sat nights midnight to 8 am. They ended up sending us all to Agawam or Needham for Campus police training. I went to Agawam shortly after a new recruit died there from being denied water during PT.

We carried PR24 for protection at the time.
I have a treasure trove of stories from that place.lol
Make no mistake, many, many times you are more busy than the LPD.
You will use both the College judicial system as well as the state. And you're always dealing with kids that know more than you, and "pay your salary".[rolleyes]

Last edited:
Even the muni side sucks. Nights weekends holidays. Most don't have Quinn bill anymore so you have to work a lot of ot. Miss out with family and friends. If you think your gonna be kicking in doors think again. That's mostly the swat dudes. That's a whole other article. Read the local police reports, car accidents, domestic violence, noise complaints. Gets old real quick.

After 14 years as a Fed even, this is good advice. Even feds have to put up with a lot of BS, look at what is happening on the immigration front, no real point in me going to work for the next 2 years. The retirement is more of a 'do something you want to do' and still not live in a cardboard box.

A friend of mine started out about 30 years ago as a college police officer. He's now the #2 guy with a municipal department and will likely be their next chief. As others have said, they have to go through the same academy as municipal officers and get the same training.
I've also heard of guys going the other way. They were municipal officers until their kids were old enough to go to college and then they retired and went to work for the school. Their kids get either free tuition or a substantial discount. I don't know anyone who did it, but it makes sense. The college gets a fully trained and experienced officer who is NOT going to use the job as a stepping stone to a municipal department.

I've also heard of guys going the other way. They were municipal officers until their kids were old enough to go to college and then they retired and went to work for the school. Their kids get either free tuition or a substantial discount. I don't know anyone who did it, but it makes sense. The college gets a fully trained and experienced officer who is NOT going to use the job as a stepping stone to a municipal department.

MIT Police Chief John DiFava was previously Colonel of the State Police. He retired from the staties, then joined MIT. Nice little double-dip.

I know state schools such as Bridgewater, Salem State, Westfield and Umass Amherst have pretty legit PD's. Most of them have MPTC academies and full powers in the cities they patrol. Most of them have a good amount of detail opportunities and good benefits.

Some of the private schools have less power to enforce the law but are much higher paying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom