Campus police officer?

Even the muni side sucks. Nights weekends holidays. Most don't have Quinn bill anymore so you have to work a lot of ot. Miss out with family and friends. If you think your gonna be kicking in doors think again. That's mostly the swat dudes. That's a whole other article. Read the local police reports, car accidents, domestic violence, noise complaints. Gets old real quick.

If your young and motivated and want to make money work in IT, electrician, civil engineering, medical field, or something science based. Will give you a good Pay check to buy lots of toys and time for family. Want excitement join the army and get deployed for a year. You come to realize life is too short. Enjoy it. Don't spend it as a human garbage collector.

Join a gym and do mma if you need your fight fix. Not crapping on guys that do the job but I think for what you give up and get paid and what you deal with in this suit happy ebt fueled communist gulag loaded with community advocates and doiche bag lawyers- not worth it

Sometimes I feel burnt out and irritated by the job and having to babysit full-grown adults who simply can't get their shit together, but in the end, there really isn't much else I'd rather be doing.

Perhaps the biggest open secret in policing is that 99.5% of your stress usually comes from the second floor of the police station, not the street.

There are advantages of having campus police be "sworn officers". When there are merely security, it is harder to hold them accountable for violations of individual rights. For example, some schools prohibit their private security from searching a dorm without a warrant or "its internally issued equivalent". The later won't fly with a sworn force.

Sometimes I feel burnt out and irritated by the job and having to babysit full-grown adults who simply can't get their shit together, but in the end, there really isn't much else I'd rather be doing.

Perhaps the biggest open secret in policing is that 99.5% of your stress usually comes from the second floor of the police station, not the street.

QFMFT!

My first chief (good friend) used to use transfers to days as "punishment" for officers who went off the rails. Most preferred working off-shifts just to avoid the brass.

------------------

One major benefit of working as a campus PO is that most colleges offer free tuition to both the officers and their immediate families! My friend who retired from BC PD put all his kids thru BC without paying a nickel for tuition!! These days that is like hitting megabucks lottery.

-----------------

Wrt the comments above about "some" officers going thru the police academy . . .

MGL REQUIRES ALL officers with police powers to attend a police academy. So if they are sworn in and have any special police powers (muni, state or deputy sheriff) they must have completed the academy. Hopefully the academy weeds out most of the wackadoodles.

It could provide an avenue to LE for those who lack the usual qualifications: minority; military service; family member of an officer; friends with persons in the right places.

UMass Amherst PD is very legit... I know local officers who have gone over to the UMass side. The handful of guys I know are awesome, and they shoot THOUSANDS of rounds a year. I've seen them at the range 4+ days in a row with VTAC targets, prepping for night shoots, and some nice hardware.

UMass is also a city of 25K which has semi-regular riots and armed drug dealers showing up on campus more than occasionally. They also require a rull academy.

Personally not my thing but if I were thinking of going LE a large campus police department would not be written off... namely state.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Which academy exactly? MPTC, SSPO, Reserve, reserve+degree, reserve+experience? Its hard to keep track!

QFMFT!

My first chief (good friend) used to use transfers to days as "punishment" for officers who went off the rails. Most preferred working off-shifts just to avoid the brass.

------------------

One major benefit of working as a campus PO is that most colleges offer free tuition to both the officers and their immediate families! My friend who retired from BC PD put all his kids thru BC without paying a nickel for tuition!! These days that is like hitting megabucks lottery.

-----------------

Wrt the comments above about "some" officers going thru the police academy . . .

MGL REQUIRES ALL officers with police powers to attend a police academy. So if they are sworn in and have any special police powers (muni, state or deputy sheriff) they must have completed the academy. Hopefully the academy weeds out most of the wackadoodles.

Our station is only one floor, but I try to stay away from "the carpeted area", and never work day shift.

Blame Forum Runner for any typos and such.

So true! I did it for 31 years. Take heart, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Retirement is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom