• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can a MA FFL RECIEVE A NON COMPLIANT GUN from Out of State

Yea, I figured I am screwed. I suggested the manufacturer just destroy my gun and put my serial number on the replacement - They WON'T was his answer. What's interesting to me is they sent my gun back to ME 3 times no problem but they refuse to send a replacement to me OR to my FFL even though I told them it is 100% legal. They don't give a crap.

Len-2A has a good solution but I doubt if the AG would actually do that (I could be wrong and I'll pursue that).

LuvDog, you are probably right but the purpose of my question here was hoping there was something in writing. I've wasted a few months dealing on this nonsense with idiots at the other end. 3 times they tried to fix the problem and they can't!

I asked the manufacturer if the warranty goes with the gun. So I could sell it (to a friend for a buck), have him get a replacement and sell it back to me (for a buck). The answer - NOPE, If I sell the gun no more warranty.

Now, the reason I haven't disclosed the gun and manufacturer was because I didn't want a bunch of comments going off topic about the company etc. I wanted to merely stay on track to see if I could get some solution for my issue. The thread went off topic anyway focusing on FFL issues etc.

I apologize for any negativity you derived from me. That was not my intention.

The company is Taurus. The absolute worst idiots I have ever dealt with. The gun is the Taurus TX22. It's a great gun and I have friends who have great shooters - ME, nope.

I'll keep watching the thread in case someone weighs in with a solution.

Happy New Year to you all, stay safe and thanks for all your input,
David
We had a customer who had the exact same scenario as you. Taurus ended sending us their only Mass compliant gun, a 9mm G3-C to replace the .22LR pistol that was not compliant. Perhaps you should ask Taurus if they will take back your broken .22 and send your dealer a G3-C. At least then you get something.

UPDATE on my Taurus TX22 issues - Taurus called me this morning and offered to replace my non functioning TX22 with a new MA compliant G3-C, 9mm, which I accepted. I'll most likely sell it and get something I want. A long battle with those idiots but I'm getting out of this mess, whole.

Thanks for everyone's advice and input. You all be safe.

David
ps: if anyone wants to buy the G3 give me a holler. I'll vouch for this company - NOT [rofl][mg]Taurus !

UPDATE on my Taurus TX22 issues - Taurus called me this morning and offered to replace my non functioning TX22 with a new MA compliant G3-C, 9mm, which I accepted. I'll most likely sell it and get something I want. A long battle with those idiots but I'm getting out of this mess, whole.

David
ps: if anyone wants to buy the G3 give me a holler. I'll vouch for this company - NOT [rofl][mg]Taurus !
Shit I hope I never break my TX22!! I don’t have a good track record with guns breaking but that’s because I actually shoot them lol.

Anyway, I guess it’s better than nothing that they’re giving you a G3

David

David
I would be interested in the g3c.

With all due respect sir, most folks whoever have owned a Taurus, have largely had the same issue with quality control and customer service. Taurus has an attractive marketing program, but unfortunately their QC is erratic at best and their customer service is indifferent. You have an alternative to the "return to factory" idea. Find a local, old school gunsmith. Let that party assess it to determine if the work required exceeds the value of the item. If it does exceed, use it towards the cost of a quality replacement and the Taurus becomes a learning experience. Ablediver speak truth, Ablediver been there a few times.
Best of luck in the hunt.

Ask the manufacturer to make you a replacement with the same serial number and destroy the original, than they can send it directly to you.

Also point out the below cite that says a REPLACEMENT of the same type can be sent directly to you, and that you would have to eFA-10 it upon receipt]
FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received (18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A)).
Can you please point me to a ruling on this? I have searched extensively and can't seem to find where this is allowed.
Colt destroyed a new revolver of mine during a warranty repair and when I asked about this being an option, this was the head of Colts custom shop reply...

"That is absolutely incorrect.
This is my 42nd year in manufacturing firearms and I can tell you that is considered “duplicating a serial number” in the eyes of BATFE.
Their reasoning is can you guarantee that the receiver was scrapped?"

Last edited:
Can you please point me to a ruling on this? I have searched extensively and can't seem to find where this is allowed.
Colt destroyed a new revolver of mine during repair and when I asked about this being an option, this was the head of Colts custom shop reply...

"That is absolutely incorrect.
This is my 42nd year in manufacturing firearms and I can tell you that is considered “duplicating a serial number” in the eyes of BATFE.
Their reasoning is can you guarantee that the receiver was scrapped?"
Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue if 2 guns existed with the exact same serial number. The horror. TEOTWAWKI for sure.

An ATF Form 4473 is required for the return of the firearm, except in instances when a firearm is delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing, and the same firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received (27 CFR § 478.124(a)).
This also was not an option because Colt claims it is illegal for them to ship an off list gun to an FFL in MA...even a replacement. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I asked Taurus months ago to just destroy my gun, remark a replacement gun w/ my original serial number and send it to me - "NOPE" was their answer.

This whole debacle is over for me. I'm not pursuing any further options. Taurus agreed to replace my tx22 with a G3c and reimburse me the $ I have to pay the FFL who'll handle the transfer. I have no idea how much that'll be yet. Could it be as much as $100 - $200? I don't have any idea, I'm not up on all the different fees and I won't know until it's done.

Currently the G3c is out of stock so this won't happen until it's in stock. Who knows how long that'll take?! When I get the G3c I'll sell it and move on.

At this point I'm done with this fiasco and done dealing with Taurus, the absolute worst company I have ever encountered.

Cheers,
David

I asked Taurus months ago to just destroy my gun, remark a replacement gun w/ my original serial number and send it to me - "NOPE" was their answer.

This whole debacle is over for me. I'm not pursuing any further options. Taurus agreed to replace my tx22 with a G3c and reimburse me the $ I have to pay the FFL who'll handle the transfer. I have no idea how much that'll be yet. Could it be as much as $100 - $200? I don't have any idea, I'm not up on all the different fees and I won't know until it's done.

Your inbound should only cost like $25-50 if you dont use a shitty dealer to inbound it.,

A broken Taurus that had to go back for multiple repairs? Shocking!
Maybe that's why not one single police department or military unit on planet earth issues a Taurus. Not one.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Buying a discount gun is like buying a discount parachute or scuba regulator. Buy from a reputable mainstream company or find another hobby.

Maybe that's why not one single police department or military unit on planet earth issues a Taurus. Not one.
That by itself really isn't much of a metric. There are plenty of great guns not really in the LE market.

Bear in mind that the gun that the guy originally started with is a plinking gun that shoots 22LR. That class of guns is not that stellar to begin with.

"Taurus agreed to replace my tx22 with a G3c and reimburse me the $ I have to pay the FFL who'll handle the transfer. I have no idea how much that'll be yet. Could it be as much as $100 - $200?"

I know how much a transfer is. But does Taurus???????

I was being facetious boys & girls !!

"Taurus agreed to replace my tx22 with a G3c and reimburse me the $ I have to pay the FFL who'll handle the transfer. I have no idea how much that'll be yet. Could it be as much as $100 - $200?"

@lots ike to buy a mag from you but I can't send you a message

Did they send you a TX22 competition model?...

No Andrew.....Taurus agreed to send me a MA compliant replacement......the G3C, their compact 9mm - which by the way I just received today. I'll put it up for sale to recoup the money I paid for the TX22.

David

No Andrew.....Taurus agreed to send me a MA compliant replacement......the G3C, their compact 9mm - which by the way I just received today. I'll put it up for sale to recoup the money I paid for the TX22.

David
Noice.
I want the competition upper to slap on my standard TX22. I don’t know when they’ll start selling just the uppers.

Y tho

For what those guns don't cost, better off just getting another
Lol true. I dunno I have some cheap red dots kicking around. Thought it would be fun to throw one on a TX22.
I guess it depends how much they charge for an upper lol

We all see the sketchy shops doing it though.
You realize that you are replying to a three year old post from a beloved member parted too soon, Right?

And please expound on why shops that transfer off list guns are "sketchy" - inquiring minds here want to know.

And if you are referring to frame transfers then you need to read the laws a little closer since dealers are not restrained from selling you a frame, only a gun that is not on the list.

You realize that you are replying to a three year old post from a beloved member parted too soon, Right?

And please expound on why shops that transfer off list guns are "sketchy" - inquiring minds here want to know.

And if you are referring to frame transfers then you need to read the laws a little closer since dealers are not restrained from selling you a frame, only a gun that is not on the list.
Aeryx is an FFL that "didn't get the greatest training" (their own words), only started up just recently, and came here to ask a question that most FFLs should know the answer to.

So the "sketchy" comment seems like a matter of someone in a glass house throwing stones... But hey, good start, right?

Back
Top Bottom