Can a MA resident buy a mini 14 in NH?

I am a MA resident. Aside from the hi cap mag restrictions, is it legal to purchase a Mini14, M1A or similar MA approved rifle in NH and bring it back over the border to be registered in MA? Does it need to be shipped to my FFL? Private sales OK?

Thank you
C

Yes, you can, no problem, you would have to buy it at an FFL out of state though because of Federal law. A private sale would have to be pushed through an FFL. Any NH FFL that isnt shit would sell you a mini, no problem (or transfer one to you from a resident of NH or some other state )

Yes, you can, no problem, you would have to buy it at an FFL out of state though because of Federal law. A private sale would have to be pushed through an FFL. Any NH FFL that isnt shit would sell you a mini, no problem (or transfer one to you from a resident of NH or some other state )
Thank you!

Sumnah - the law says that an out of state FFL can only sell you a gun that would be legal for you to acquire in your home state.

So no pre-ban config ARs for example. Also, no "tactical" type Mini 14s. (folding stock, threaded bbl with flash hider, etc).

But I suspect you didn't mean that. You meant a traditionally stocked Mini. But I just wanted to make sure you knew the limits.

Don

... I just wanted to make sure you knew the limits.
hqdefault.jpg

You can.... if you can live with yourself lol.

I kid. Kind of.
Haha for buying a mini?

I’m shopping for my first semi auto rifle. The mini isn’t my ideal choice but it seems like a pretty cost effective option and relatively easy to find. I hear Ruger remedied the accuracy issues but if there are other reasons to avoid them I’d love to hear about them.

Huge DT fan btw

Suggestion if looking for a first semi-auto rifle:
Ruger 10/22
Remington 742 in .270 or 30-06 or another caliber (.243? .260? .280? .308?) as you will find more ammo available.

Haha for buying a mini?

I’m shopping for my first semi auto rifle. The mini isn’t my ideal choice but it seems like a pretty cost effective option and relatively easy to find. I hear Ruger remedied the accuracy issues but if there are other reasons to avoid them I’d love to hear about them.

Huge DT fan btw
An sks may be right up your alley

comment deleted

Last edited:
If you buy a rifle out of state from a FFL dealer (which you can legally do) you must enter it inot the MA online database when you are back in MA. You cannot buy it out of state and 'keep it off the books' in MA.
LOL whether somebody actually does that or not is between them and god.... Yes that is what the law requires (within 7 days of rifle entering MA) but that wasn't what the original question was. That's (potentially) a side effect of an MA resident buying one.

I like my Mini-14 , however they need to fix the non proprietary mags and find a way to manufacturer these firearms to accept common in use 20’s and 30’s

for the love of god. this has been uttered ad infinitum and will never be a reality for obvious design reasons such as lack of magazine well to stabilize a stanag magazine. i would love for my pez dispenser to work with gummy bears but that isn't going to happen. the mini-14's shortcomings are severe...mag compatibility is low on that list. the mini-14 is manufactured with huge tolerances, barrels that flings rounds the way my boys fling yogurt, over-gassed to hell, terrible iron sights, shit sling and stock options.

then again i own several of them including an accuracy systems custom build, which is accurate because the ruger barrel and gas block are replaced. i'm not a mini-14 hater but with around 14k rounds through these rifles my experience is that they need an overhaul. if Bula defense or fulton built a .223 version of M14 (essentially a mini-14) they would beat ruger for sure.

The mini now is basically a Cult rifle. Unless you're part of the cult there's absolutely no reason to buy one. The gun sort of made sense if they cost like three or four hundred bucks but the value prop of those things now is f****** terrible.

If someone put a Mini and a PSA/Palmetto poverty grade AR in front of me I'd probably just take my chances with the PSA....

The mini now is basically a Cult rifle. Unless you're part of the cult there's absolutely no reason to buy one. The gun sort of made sense if they cost like three or four hundred bucks but the value prop of those things now is f****** terrible.

If someone put a Mini and a PSA/Palmetto poverty grade AR in front of me I'd probably just take my chances with the PSA....

The only Mini-14 I would want is a stainless AC556 Folder :)

Didn’t they get overhauled in 2003, aka “new mini”?
The 580- series has a slightly thicker barrel that you’ll often hear is better, but that would be generous. The barrel is still very thin under the gas block. Bores are still not concentric to the barrel and are still prone to all sorts of bizarre behavior when they heat up, just less severe than older models. However older mini’s had decent garand-style adjustable rear sight and the 580- series clearly cut costs with a shitty rear sight held together by poorly designed set screws. Mini 14’s from the 90’s were clearly of higher build quality. All this complaining aside I still like the damn rifle and wouldnt sell my mini’s.

Wikipedia: “In 2003, the design was overhauled to improve accuracy, update the styling, and reduce production costs. The standard Mini-14 was discontinued and the name became the family name for all Mini-14 type rifles. As of 2005, all Mini-14 type rifles are based on the Ranch Rifle design, with integral scope bases, a non-folding ghost ring aperture rear sight, and a winged front sight similar to that used on the Ruger Police Carbine.[9] They have serial numbers beginning with 580 and are sometimes referred to as 580-series Ranch Rifles.[10] They also have a new modified gas system designed to reduce barrel vibration[9]and can shoot two-inch groups at 100 yards, which is 2 MOA (minute of angle) accuracy.[10]

Around 2007 or 2008, Ruger added a heavier, larger-diameter barrel visibly tapered from gas block to muzzle. These changes combined with tighter tolerances result in greater potential accuracy.[8]"

Back
Top Bottom