Can anyone identify this old rifle?

Your probably on the right track. Ranger, Sears, savage, JC Higgins style tube fed bolt action shotgun. 16 gauge was popular back then.?

Agreed not a shotgun- we've had some bolt shotguns in the family. Pic is definitely not one of those.

Someone in the NES brain trust is going to figure it out.

Second pic might be a shotgun? I don't see a bolt.

i wonder if it is a sears .22? I remember, when i was a kid, seeing .22 cartridges where the bullet would separate in flight, and act a little like BB's. If i remember correctly, they called it "bird shot" or something like that. Hence them holding birds in the pics.

i wonder if it is a sears .22? I remember, when i was a kid, seeing .22 cartridges where the bullet would separate in flight, and act a little like BB's. If i remember correctly, they called it "bird shot" or something like that. Hence them holding birds in the pics.

Cartridge had a crimped end full of shot. Chickadees were fair game as a kid...

th

That's not a shotgun.
looks like the tube fed bolt action shotguns of the day...although looking at closer the feed tube appears to be longer and more like a 22?
savage/stevens/marlin and a host of others made many many types of similar rifles on the same style platform they also made them for other companies. Including bolt action shotguns both mag and tube fed

Also made smooth bore 22s or garden or snake guns

It actually does look like a bolt-action shotgun to me, especially the first pic. The rifle front ramp sight has me puzzled though.

the barrel looks awful heavy to be a .22.

It actually does look like a bolt-action shotgun to me, especially the first pic. The rifle front ramp sight has me puzzled though.

the barrel looks awful heavy to be a .22.

The skinny tube mag under the barrel looks like it can only fit .22s.

I'm going with a Marlin Model 81-DL. It has a chrome-like bolt and trigger, and a peep sight similar to the one in the first photo. The arched (ramped) front sight and tube feed also looks similar.

attachment.php

Attachments

• _10_Marlin_Mod_v_1401706006.JPG
    _10_Marlin_Mod_v_1401706006.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
A friend sent me a photo of her Grandfather, trying to ID the rifle he's holding.

My best guess, based on a bunch of googling, is a Sears Ranger variant. Thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/YepR62E.jpg

edit, one more grainy pic : http://i.imgur.com/D3nRaxz.jpg

It's time for your friend to start talking to the oldest people in the family to see if they remember.
Might get a nice. "Oh that old thing it's in the closet "

I almost want to think a .410 bolt gun, based on only having birds in the picture. Guess a .22 would be good for a ground shot, don't think a .22 birdshot would kill larger birds anywhere beyond the muzzle.

Problems is that there are only a million variants of tube fed bolt guns from that period, it's like trying to figure out just what type of AR-15 someone has today.

Back
Top Bottom