• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can cannon now sbr?

I'd just like to offer up my free disposal services to anyone wanting to part with their can cannon for fear of a nasty run in with the ATF.

There counting the first 90 Feg hole jfc yeah a bullet going to randomly turn 90 degs and shoot out the side.

Not to defend their stupidity but they HAVE to mean if you remove the stub bc there is no way a bullet is exiting that stub in less than disastrous fashion.

There counting the first 90 Feg hole jfc yeah a bullet going to randomly turn 90 degs and shoot out the side.

Sounds like the problem could have easily been fixed if the barrel was chambered to accept blanks and blanks only...

BHxxcX8.jpg

I'm guessing all they did was purchase commercially available AR barrels and modify them by drilling a few vent holes.

Last edited:
Not to defend their stupidity but they HAVE to mean if you remove the stub bc there is no way a bullet is exiting that stub in less than disastrous fashion.

2989a9dec9e8525f1a4d325f6bfb17b7.jpg

It's a normal 6-10 inch barrel with holes drilled.
ATF is counting the first hole for the sbr status.

There a muzzle brake that shoots cans for u under 100$

2989a9dec9e8525f1a4d325f6bfb17b7.jpg

It's a normal 6-10 inch barrel with holes drilled.
ATF is counting the first hole for the sbr status.

There a muzzle brake that shoots cans for u under 100$

The one he had at the shoot was shorter: Three holes and the end was capped. What you have pictured is different that what MFL/Shooters had at the NES shoot. I asked and he took it apart for me. Perhaps that was an early model and they have changed production, or perhaps I am misremembering.

The one he had at the shoot was shorter: Three holes and the end was capped. What you have pictured is different that what MFL/Shooters had at the NES shoot. I asked and he took it apart for me. Perhaps that was an early model and they have changed production, or perhaps I am misremembering.

I was just posting a picture to show its just a normal barrel . Not a two part barrel that would give you a 1.5 inch barrel that could fire a round like this .
3300f1458231057670183b5a5bbee105.jpg

There counting the first home as the end .

I agree with the ATF on this one too, someone could get hurt. IMHO you should also have to get a permit at the fire department to posses one of these devices, its only $12 guys, its not really taking away any of your freedom.

I agree with the ATF on this one too, someone could get hurt. IMHO you should also have to get a permit at the fire department to posses one of these devices, its only $12 guys, its not really taking away any of your freedom.

Not sure if serious lol.
If it has a welded in plug I don't think it should be a sbr. Sbr is better then a dd tho .

Not sure if serious lol.
If it has a welded in plug I don't think it should be a sbr. Sbr is better then a dd tho .

He isn't serious; he is getting back at me for the storage permit thread.

They made a few poor design decisions to save money and the ATF ****ed them over because of it. I'm not entirely surprised at the result as much as I hate the ATF and think its stupid. Wishing things were different doesn't change the reach of an agency serving King Hussein.

Full text of the ATF letter is up on their website.

Looks like the issue is that the barrel is not totally sealed at the muzzle, still has a removable set-screw as the only thing preventing firing live ammo?
nfocix.jpg

So, If you put a 16" barrel on it.. Would you be able to deliver sodas at a longer distance?
I doubt it; any more energy and the cans would not make it out the "barrel". As it stands, cheap store-brand soda tends to disintegrate at launch.

Last edited:
He isn't serious; he is getting back at me for the storage permit thread.

They made a few poor design decisions to save money and the ATF ****ed them over because of it. I'm not entirely surprised at the result as much as I hate the ATF and think its stupid. Wishing things were different doesn't change the reach of an agency serving King Hussein.

Don't tell me you really think we should need a permit to store ammo ......

Full text of the ATF letter is up on their website.

I doubt it; any more energy and the cans would not make it out the "barrel". As it stands, cheap store-brand soda tends to disintegrate at launch.

Anybody know how the production models have the "barrel" blocked off? Is it still just a set screw, or are they welded?

The one I saw had a round end, three rows of holes, and would not have let a bullet escape. It was neither welded nor closed with a screw: The end was part of the barrel portion.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't tell me you really think we should need a permit to store ammo ......

Hell no but if my house insurance company says I should have one for them to pay out then I am damn sure going to get one. Choosing between a permission slip and a total loss on everything I own? Some battles aren't worth fighting.

The one I saw had a round end, three rows of holes, and would not have let a bullet escape. It was neither welded nor closed with a screw: The end was part of the barrel portion.
Interesting. Does it match with the barrel image shown in the determination letter?

I'd just like to offer up my free disposal services to anyone wanting to part with their can cannon for fear of a nasty run in with the ATF.
I suspect all that's really necessary, for an owner of the version with the set screw, is to silver-solder the screw so it cannot be removed.

That said, if anybody owns one and wants it out of their control, I'd like one to try on an SBR lower. Looks like fun, just not $400 worth of fun.

Interesting. Does it match with the barrel image shown in the determination letter?

Tough to tell bc you can't see the end but I see where in the pic there are 3 holes on one line and 4 holes offsetting them. Based on what I see I may be misremembering what I saw and there could have been a small hole in the end. I was distracted by the RPK, sue me.

It sounds like if they used a modified chamber (that won't accept real ammunition, just blanks) they could get around this problem.

-Mike

Tough to tell bc you can't see the end but I see where in the pic there are 3 holes on one line and 4 holes offsetting them. Based on what I see I may be misremembering what I saw and there could have been a small hole in the end. I was distracted by the RPK, sue me.

You mean the pkm or the krink ?

It sounds like if they used a modified chamber (that won't accept real ammunition, just blanks) they could get around this problem.
The June 2015 review at TFB claims "The chamber is modified so that it only accepts blanks. In the event you accidentally mix up a live .223/5.56 round in the the magazine, the round will not chamber and the BCG will stay out of battery.", however the user manual doesn't mention this feature.

the ATF should be abolished.

that said they very well may not care what you personally have to say but i know that i sure do--as well as plenty of other members on here.

you're doubling down on agreeing with them in the first place, and that's fine. however this is now an out yourself thread where people can profess their love for the ATF.

The ATF should be corner STORE.. They'd make more money selling class 3, ammo, cannons, booze and cigarettes than they ever would as an enforcement agency. "For sale, one slightly use M1A tank."

-Mike

The June 2015 review at TFB claims "The chamber is modified so that it only accepts blanks. In the event you accidentally mix up a live .223/5.56 round in the the magazine, the round will not chamber and the BCG will stay out of battery.", however the user manual doesn't mention this feature.

I'm surprised that they didn't design it that way from the very beginning simply to avoid, or minimize any potential personal injury lawsuit should
someone be careless, or stupid enough to chamber a live round.

Question now is will they issue a recall to correct the flaw (either by rechambering the barrel, or welding the plug/set screw), or offer a full refund to buyers?

Yes.
I needed some quiet time after that shoot. The Russian toys MFL brought were a joy to behold. I did think it was an RPK not a PKM but you are far better than I with these.

Pkm = beltfed 7.62x54r

Rpk = 7.62x39 or 5.45 ak with bulged trunnions longer thicker barrel . Normaly issue with 40 rd mags or drums. It fills the role of a saw.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom