Can I carry in Boston?

stacarter

NES Member
Just being extra careful here. I have searched the forums and I couldn't find anything definitive. I live in North Attleboro and I have an LTC-A with no restrictions. I work in Boston. Can I legally carry my concealed pistol in Boston?

I just read that they have more restrictive laws, but I can't tell whether they only apply to Boston residents or citizen of MA while they are in the city limits.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

STAC

Most of the more restrictive laws are for Boston residents only. Stay away from the schools, courthouses & Gov't bldgs & you'll be fine.

The "more restrictive laws" pertain to the possession of "Assault Rifles" within the city unless you hold one of the AW licenses issued during a one time grace period. There is an exception for licensees passing through Boston or using such guns for a competition within the city. The law does not make any reference to handguns.

The buildings referred to have metal detectors and security checkpoints (State house, courthouses, public safety office building) so you aren't going to be caught by surprise. These building have administrative prohibitions even though there is no statute banning guns from said buildings - which means they would have to use some general charge as there is no specific crime of "possession fo a firearms within the statehouses". The others (schools, federal buildings) are the same prohibitions that exist throughout the state.

Last edited:
See Rob's post...

Yea - thanks for the heads up, but I figured he was posting the answer to my question..... So rule of thumb - dont try and get past the metal detectors? I've never been in Boston city hall, but I remember that the federal buildings had metal detectors, but didnt think the city hall/city bldgs would...

City Hall, McCormick Bldg, Saltanstall Bldg...all have metal detectors.
Last time I was at the Saltenstall...had to go to a hearing at the AG's office....left my CRKT knife with the guards. When I was checking out, i went to retrieve the knife..."hey, this is a really nice knife, i really like the blade on it"....."yeah, thanks"

sounds like your lucky you got your knife back....which CRKT was it? they make some great stuff....

dont try and get past the metal detectors?
The security staff at the state building with metal detectors tends to be pretty accommodating about checking the guns of licensed persons wishing to enter. Federal facilities don't extend such a courtesy to ordinary people, however, I have heard they will to police lacking federal jurisdiction who have business in the building.

Also, you can't get near the USS Constitution. You can't mistakenly get through security there. There is a very large sign stating it is illegal to have a firearm. I would also be careful when being on "National Park" sites.

In my mind they are National Parks so I stay clear of them. I am unsure of the actual legality of the National Park sites in Boston. It's not like it's Yellowstone.

Also, you can't get near the USS Constitution. You can't mistakenly get through security there. There is a very large sign stating it is illegal to have a firearm. I would also be careful when being on "National Park" sites.

In my mind they are National Parks so I stay clear of them. I am unsure of the actual legality of the National Park sites in Boston. It's not like it's Yellowstone.

It's an active US Navy Base! Once you enter the gates, the NPS has 'administrative jurisdiction', but the facility is a Navy base.
My company does a shitload of work there,,,we just did the Constitution museum.

M16 - FD 13FDZ

Cool - one hell of a coincidence, I've got the M16-13FD....

Federal facilities don't extend such a courtesy to ordinary people, however, I have heard they will to police lacking federal jurisdiction who have business in the building.

So wait - if a LEO has official business in a federal building they will be disarmed when they go in?

The security staff at the state building with metal detectors tends to be pretty accommodating about checking the guns of licensed persons wishing to enter. Federal facilities don't extend such a courtesy to ordinary people, however, I have heard they will to police lacking federal jurisdiction who have business in the building.

I was just going to ask about checking your gun as you go in. I know out here I wouldn't want to leave my gun in my vehicle in Springfield.

Has anyone checked on this, is it a "by place check in", or will they tell you to take a hike at most places.

Just wondering, I guess to be sure call the place before you go would be a good practice.

thats actually retarted... I'd love to see them disarm a statie, I feel like it would be entertaining to watch

Thanks for the reply guys. Especially the bit about the USS Constitution. My wife and I carry and were planning on hitting the Constitution this spring. Very good to know that we need to leave our guns at home on that trip. We have to disarm to pick people up at the airport in RI all the time so we are used to it.

Thanks again for all the info. I definitely don't live in Boston so my AR's, HK and MSAR are all legal. Whew.

Cheers

STAC

Has anyone checked on this, is it a "by place check in", or will they tell you to take a hike at most places.
I can say with absolute certainty that the Cambridge courthouse and One Asbhurton Place office building (EOPS HQ) security staff have been most polite, professional and helpful about letting a civilian check a legally carried handgun when visiting those buildings.

The McCormack Building will not check weapons for visitors - or employees (they moved the Sate Police over to the Statehouse). The Adams Court house will check weapons (the last I heard).

Back
Top Bottom