Can I practice recreational archery in freetown without hunting license?

Hello folks.

My main knowledge of the law is Chapter 61 B - "Land greater than 5 acres can be used as "recreational land" then you can only discharge a bow so long as you are 500 feet away from from a dwelling and 150 feet away from a highway"

So basically if you hike a ways into the woods. At least 500 feet away from the main roads. I could set up a foam target or shoot some trees?

I intended on getting my hunting license. That way if I was harassed I could say I was hunting for red squirrel. But since i'm allowed legally to practice archery lawfully.

Am I missing any key things?

My intent is to go to freetown forrest. Hunting is allowed there. Hike a ways into the woods or into an open area. At least 5 acres. Than set up some targets and enjoy the wilderness.

Is this legal?

Thank you for any help.

I used to go out there to practice archery. On Sunday when hunting is not allowed , yes. Any other time? That is up to you. But Please dont shoot the trees and be prepared to lose arrows.

No hunting on Sundays and def no rifle range out there, but that still didn't stop some people from popping off 200rds on Copicut road this afternoon.

I used to go out there to practice archery. On Sunday when hunting is not allowed , yes. Any other time? That is up to you. But Please dont shoot the trees and be prepared to lose arrows.

No hunting on Sundays and def no rifle range out there, but that still didn't stop some people from popping off 200rds on Copicut road this afternoon.

Why a no on shooting the trees? Do the pukwudgies get mad? I know they get mad at things.

Not Copicut Rifle Association?

Join a club that has an archery range. Jack.

This.

A lot of people get the 500’ rule wrong. Or at least not completely right.

Discharge of any firearm or release of
any arrow upon or across any state or hard-surfaced highway, or within 150 feet of any such highway, or possession of a loaded firearm, discharge of a firearm, or hunting on the land of another within 500 feet of any dwelling or building in use, except as authorized by the owner or oc- cupant thereof. See page 26 for additional firearms regulations.

Hitting hard targets can damage the arrow shaft, bend inserts, etc. Shoot dedicated foam archery targets. The targets can be expensive. So is replacing your equipment.

Flex your carbon arrows regularly to check for damage. Releasing a damaged can ruin your day.

http://www.archerybuff.com/2011/archery-accident-lessons-carbon-arrow-shattering-during-shot/

Bob

You can always call Elizabeth Warren she can always take you up to her reservation for some archery practice.

Discharge of any firearm or release of
any arrow upon or across any state or hard-surfaced highway, or within 150 feet of any such highway, or possession of a loaded firearm, discharge of a firearm, or hunting on the land of another within 500 feet of any dwelling or building in use, except as authorized by the owner or oc- cupant thereof. See page 26 for additional firearms regulations.

Isn't this strictly for hunting though? If you are hunting squirrels and using a pellet gun you would fall into the same regulations. But you can shoot a pellet gun in your backyard. Although I don't think you would be allowed to set up on state land to practice archery. Because you're not allowed to discharge a (Firearm) unless you are in the act of hunting or in a designated area for target shooting. Although you are allowed to practice archery in your backyard unless there is a town bi-law against it. Because a bow and arrow is not considered a firearm, Unless used for hunting. If any of that make sense.

Isn't this strictly for hunting though?
Never confuse some stupid Fish and Game pamphlet for the text of actual laws.

If some statute before or surrounding or referring to MGL Ch. 131 §58 says,
"the following is only for hunting", then I guess it's only for hunting.
Otherwise maybe not so much.

Although I don't think you would be allowed to set up on state land to practice archery. Because you're not allowed to discharge a (Firearm) unless you are in the act of hunting or in a designated area for target shooting.
When one starts reasoning about what laws say,
it's best to start with what the actual laws actually say.

I don't know what the real laws say about this.
But I wouldn't start off determining that by making analogies.

ETA: P.S. Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom