• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can I Still Carry In Mass?

So I moved from Mass to Maine, and will be switching my driver's licence and getting a Maine Ltc. Once I have made these changes, will I still be able to carry in Mass with my valid resident Ltc, or will I have to get a non-resident Ltc? My resident Ltc doesn't expire until 2014, and I don't want to spend the money on a new one if I don't have to. Can anyone help me out?

The day you move out of MA, your LTC ceases to be valid. If you don't notify CHSB and the town that issued your LTC w/in 30 days, you will be INELIGIBLE for a LTC from MA at any time in the future. Check here or on Goal.org for info on the law wrt notification.

You are no longer a resident of MA, which invalidates your current LTC. You'll need a NR LTC to carry legally in MA.

If you don't notify CHSB and the town that issued your LTC w/in 30 days, you will be INELIGIBLE for a LTC from MA at any time in the future.

And this.

Last edited:
Now I haven't switched over my driver's licence or vehicle registration yet, which are both required to be a Maine resident, so I must still be a mass resident untill I do that.

WRONG! You are not a MA Resident NOW from what you stated.

So from what you say, if you don't drive or own a car, you can't be a Maine resident? Good luck with that.

Nice try!

Now I haven't switched over my driver's licence or vehicle registration yet, which are both required to be a Maine resident, so I must still be a mass resident untill I do that.

You have 30 days to do so...

§351. Registration required

1-A. Residents required to register. An owner of a vehicle who becomes a resident of this State shall register that vehicle in this State within 30 days of establishing residency. A person who operates or allows a vehicle that is not registered in accordance with this subsection to remain on a public way commits:
A. A traffic infraction for which a fine of not more than $50 may be adjudged if more than 30 days but less than 150 days has elapsed since establishing residency; or [2005, c. 433, §5 (NEW); 2005, c. 433, §28 (AFF).]
B. A Class E crime if more than 150 days have elapsed since establishing residency. [2005, c. 433, §5 (NEW); 2005, c. 433, §28 (AFF).]
[ 2005, c. 433, §5 (AMD); 2005, c. 433, §28 (AFF) .]

Because according to Maine law, you ARE a resident...

§514. Evasion of registration fees and excise taxes

A person required to register a vehicle in this State
who instead registers the vehicle in another state or province or who fails to register a vehicle in this State is guilty of evasion of registration fees and excise taxes. Violation of this section is a traffic infraction punishable by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000. [1999, c. 611, §1 (AMD).]

The Secretary of State shall notify the State Tax Assessor upon receipt of the court abstract so that the State Tax Assessor may determine whether further investigation is necessary. [1993, c. 683, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); 1993, c. 683, Pt. B, §5 (AFF).]

For purposes of this section, a person is presumed to be a resident of the State if that person has:
[1999, c. 611, §1 (NEW).]

1. Enrolled child in public school. Enrolled a minor child of whom that person has sole or primary custody in a public school within the State; or
[ 1999, c. 611, §1 (NEW) .]

2. Declared or indicated primary residence in State. Declared, indicated or stated that that person's primary residence is in the State on any form, document or application used by public and private entities or persons. An oral statement by a person stating a Maine address as that person's primary residence is prima facie evidence of primary residence under this section.
[ 1999, c. 611, §1 (NEW) .]

SECTION HISTORY
1993, c. 683, §A2 (NEW). 1993, c. 683, §B5 (AFF). 1995, c. 454, §3 (AMD). 1997, c. 252, §1 (AMD). 1997, c. 776, §17 (AMD). 1999, c. 611, §1 (AMD).

Which means your MA LTC is invalid.

So I moved from Mass to Maine, and will be switching my driver's licence and getting a Maine Ltc. Once I have made these changes, will I still be able to carry in Mass with my valid resident Ltc, or will I have to get a non-resident Ltc?...

Just get a NR LTC, and you'll have no problem. If you are moving from MA to ME, how often would you be entering areas in MA, after moving to ME, where you would feel an immediate need to have a CCW within the 60-90 day timeframe to get the new NR LTC?

Many of us sometimes travel to "bad areas" in MA without carrying, and with no incident. To carry just because it is "fun", or whatever, is not a good reason to try to carry in MA if you don't have an otherwise obviated need. As a NR, need the LTC because you need it. Don't "want" it. And then before you know it, you will have your NR LTC and can then carry anytime, whether you need it or want it. :)

Last edited:
Just get a NR LTC, and you'll have no problem......And then before you know it, you will have your NR LTC and can then carry anytime, whether you need it or want it. :)

Provided they dont pull the games they have been doing of late and being wishy washy about giving NR LTCs without restrictions....

Well, IIRC, the NR app goes straight to the state and not to a "local LEO", yes? Would that not work in the applicant's favor?

Haven't been keeping up on that, have you?

It USED to "work in the applicant's favor" because the SP issued the NR-LTC's as unrestricted A's; the equivalent to the applicant's home license. The SP no longer issue them; CHSB does.

With the new issuing authority came a new policy: No licenses w/o a personal interview and NO unrestricted A's w/o a showing of "need."

Is this process addressed in the pending Reform Bill?...They should make is similar to CT...A simple email when you move (out of state or in state) and you are good.

Well, IIRC, the NR app goes straight to the state and not to a "local LEO", yes? Would that not work in the applicant's favor?

There is no law stating that CHSB can't be as bad as any of the corrupt police chiefs. Not all that long ago under the "old regime" they were much easier to deal with, but the hammer has come down. Now you have to "game" and "dog and pony show" to get unrestricted NR. One guy who posted here even said he got slipped a mickey. (Basically, they sent him a restricted license despite stating it wouldn't be restricted). The "victim" of that practice, however, never responded to my in thread post, so not sure how reliable that info is.

-Mike

So now that I have moved out of state I must have an interview for a NR LTC?

IIRC you send in your paperwork and then they call you or something, then you have to drive down to Chelsea to get interviewed.

-Mike

Actually, no. If you acquired an abode in Maine and travelled to Maine with the intention of living there for the indefinite future, you became a Maine resident the instant you crossed the border (if not sooner).

Thanks for your help guys, I've already called the issuing PD to le thm know about the move. And the Maine application is on it's way to me in the mail.

I guess you want to be a DQ'd person in MA! [thinking]

As I laid out above, you MUST follow the LAW not what you think is common sense wrt "notification". There is a process laid out by MGLs and if you don't follow it, you become a victim of the law.

As I laid out above, you MUST follow the LAW not what you think is common sense wrt "notification". There is a process laid out by MGLs and if you don't follow it, you become a victim of the law.

Some people just can't be helped.

Although they can be useful as examples to others.....

From what you posted in post #4 if he has done this withn 30 days he is ok correct. Did I miss any discussion about how long ago he moved? It could be a very recent move which prompted his question, and your post saved him from being a DQ'd person right.

Last edited:
From what you posted in post #4 if he has done this withn 30 days he is ok correct. Did I miss any discussion about how long ago he moved? It could be a very recent move which prompted his question, and your post saved him from being a DQ'd person right.

Red, yes and no. He made a phone call. That does NOT comply with "proper notification" per MGLs. MUST be by Certified Mail . . . can't use UPS, FedEx, call or even hand it to the chief personally as this doesn't meet the law.

Red, yes and no. He made a phone call. That does NOT comply with "proper notification" per MGLs. MUST be by Certified Mail . . . can't use UPS, FedEx, call or even hand it to the chief personally as this doesn't meet the law.

That is good to point out about the form of the notification, though I don't foreseee myself eescaping the peoples republic anytime in the near term.

That is good to point out about the form of the notification, though I don't foreseee myself eescaping the peoples republic anytime in the near term.

The reporting requirements remain the same, whether moving interstate or intrastate.

Thanks for your help. I have two letters going out certified mail. One to the issuing PD and one to the FRB in Chelsea.

Be sure to save the mail receipts (or whatever they call them) with your other important gun paperwork to CYA.

Back
Top Bottom