Can you have multiple uppers for one AR lower?

When you register a completed rifle you have to put the barrel length. So if i registered it with a 16 inch barrel can i have a 20 inch or any other length upper to put on it? Would i have to register it again or is it not needed?

Rock as many uppers as you want in addition to the one with length listed for original configuration.

What you do after you reg it upon completion is your own business. Check out Gun Owners' Action League of Massachusetts - GOAL.ORG for more MA law info,.. and don't ask advice from cops, gun store employees or the internet.

Agreed no need to involve the multiple (and often incorrect) opinions of the paranoid or misinformed into the equation.

o.jpg

When you register a completed rifle you have to put the barrel length. So if i registered it with a 16 inch barrel can i have a 20 inch or any other length upper to put on it? Would i have to register it again or is it not needed?

You do not “register” the completed rifle, despite what the eFA10 website says.

You “report the transaction”, which is different.

Once you’ve reported the transaction, there’s nothing in law or regulation that says their records must match reality.

You can do anything you want, short of violating the AWB laws, making it into an SBR, or turning it into a machine gun.

A poor question for a first post on a board which I am absolutely positive that you have monitored and read for some length of time before you posted.
Not only does it raise doubt as to your sincerity regarding your question, but it wreaks of leftist type weasle wording to support a path of further regulation of other unregulated parts of a rifle......in MY Opinion.

P.S. I don't care one whit what you think of me or my opinion.......just so you have advanced notice of where I stand.

A poor question for a first post on a board which I am absolutely positive that you have monitored and read for some length of time before you posted.
Not only does it raise doubt as to your sincerity regarding your question, but it wreaks of leftist type weasle wording to support a path of further regulation of other unregulated parts of a rifle......in MY Opinion.

P.S. I don't care one whit what you think of me or my opinion.......just so you have advanced notice of where I stand.

I can see your point. Im not one to post, i use this site to learn about firearms and the laws that apply to mass. Ive had my license for a few months so I’m very new to it. I’ve tried to find information on the legality of my question. I can’t find any hard info on it. I’ve found a lot of great information that has helped me do things the right way as a new gun owner. You may think it was a poor question but my question was genuine and was just looking for help to point me in the right direction.

I can see your point. Im not one to post, i use this site to learn about firearms and the laws that apply to mass. Ive had my license for a few months so I’m very new to it. I’ve tried to find information on the legality of my question. I can’t find any hard info on it. I’ve found a lot of great information that has helped me do things the right way as a new gun owner. You may think it was a poor question but my question was genuine and was just looking for help to point me in the right direction.

Start by reading the laws that govern your state, city, town of your residence. Then move on to the federal laws that govern you.

Why would you seek information from a source that is other than the written letter of the law? Anything posted here is someone's opinion unless a direct cite is posted refering to the text of a law.

Start by reading the laws that govern your state, city, town of your residence. Then move on to the federal laws that govern you.

Why would you seek information from a source that is other than the written letter of the law? Anything posted here is someone's opinion unless a direct cite is posted refering to the text of a law.

I have read the laws but I'm sure as you know there is a lot of grey area. Im not looking for legal advice or opinions, I'm looking for facts. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction to find such laws to clarify my question. Most of the time I can find links to the mass.gov site and facts to some of my legal questions. This matter I can not.

The laws are clearly written, both state and federal.

Do you know the difference between an upper and a lower?

If you do and you have read the state and federal laws then your question has no validity whatsoever.

Lighten up. This climate today is causing more and more folks to get their license and buy a firearm or two before it’s too late, that’s a good thing, and why we’re all on here to begin with.

Just because someone doesn’t have immediate knowledge about these things, and maybe isn’t an experienced researcher (hell I’ve been carrying for 30+ yrs and I still have questions) doesn’t mean you should treat them like a dread lock wearing hippie who stumbled in here smelling like patchouli and pissing in the corner.

We need all the help we can get, no need to chase away a newb just because you didn’t like their question or they didn’t research to your standard.

OP, take it with a grain of salt, most newbs get the lite hazing for a bit after joining, you’ll be fine as long as you have thick skin and aren’t overly sensitive.

Go “Green” (pay your fee to become an actual member) and learn all you can here, it can be an invaluable resource. Welcome to NES, keep your head down for a week and read.

Do you know the difference between an upper and a lower?

If you do and you have read the state and federal laws then your question has no validity whatsoever.

“The laws are clearly written, both state and federal.” ;)

I understand you being so defensive about my question. Ill keep your OPINION about my question not being valid in mind.

Ill keeping searching for an answer but the laws are written poorly almost on purpose. But then again the people writing the laws think an ar-15 shoots .50 cal

Lighten up. This climate today is causing more and more folks to get their license and buy a firearm or two before it’s too late, that’s a good thing, and why we’re all on here to begin with.

Just because someone doesn’t have immediate knowledge about these things, and maybe isn’t an experienced researcher (hell I’ve been carrying for 30+ yrs and I still have questions) doesn’t mean you should treat them like a dread lock wearing hippie who stumbled in here smelling like patchouli and pissing in the corner.

We need all the help we can get, no need to chase away a newb just because you didn’t like their question or they didn’t research to your standard.

OP, take it with a grain of salt, most newbs get the lite hazing for a bit after joining, you’ll be fine as long as you have thick skin and aren’t overly sensitive.

Go “Green” (pay your fee to become an actual member) and learn all you can here, it can be an invaluable resource. Welcome to NES, keep your head down for a week and read.

I appreciate it and I’ve been called worse. But you hit the nail on the head. Im just trying to get what I can before it gets worse for mass... thanks for the advice

In the spirit of "lighten up"...more slack can be cut.

a) The laws, especially MA laws, are usually so poorly written that their exact meaning and application is almost never clear to the average person. At least not clear enough to bet your freedom and/or life savings.

b) The text of the statute is not the law. The courts' interpretation of the text is what constitutes the law. Until these poorly worded laws get a few cases in appellate courts to set legal precedents we don't fully know what they mean.

c) There are so many of these frigg'n laws that even the above average person can't keep up with them.

At least the O.P. is smart enough to know what he doesn't know and is asking questions.

ETA:
It would be hard for me to disagree more.

If you really want to learn about the laws and how they are applied, you might benefit from my Mass Gun Law by and for Non-Lawyers seminar. Only a couple more will be run in MA then it will all be done in NH. 2A Training

Because laws are hard, and gun laws extra hard, and Mass. gun laws are extra extra hard. There’s are laws and regulations and interpretations and case law and rulings, and they don’t always match up. Because if it were easy we wouldn’t need lawyers.

Ha ha ha ha! You can’t be serious.

That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve read all week.

Mass. laws are so clear you’re not allowed to own a firearm with a Firearm IDentification card.

Back
Top Bottom