• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can you identify this centerfire cartridge? ***answer revealed***

I disagree with anyone who is saying this bullet diameter is .20 and up. Just by looking at it you can see it is not even close.

I put the picture in CAD and did some scaling based on the known bullet diameter and i really want to say that it is .16 caliber, but I can not find anything online to back up that statement. So for now it is just an estimated WAG.

Last edited:
[cerberus];1176035 said:
I disagree with anyone who is saying this bullet diameter is .20 and up. Just by looking at it you can see it is not even close.

I put the picture in CAD and did some scaling based on the known bullet diameter and i really want to say that it is .16 caliber, but I can not find anything online to back up that statement. So for now it is just an estimated WAG.

I scaled it with a ruler and got 3.89mm(.153") but likie you I can't find anything to back it up.

I already guessed on the Calhoon (19-223), and Calhoon's Hornet one is obviously much smaller (see picture). There is also Calhoon's .19 Badger, but I don't think that is as old as your stated 25 years, and that is based off the .30 Carbine.

The Fireballs and Mach IV are shorter than the .223. If it isn't the 17 Rem or 19-223 Calhoon, then it is something close, but different. It looks too big for a .17 for me, so that is why I guessed the 19-223. The only other ones are the .20 Tactical ("Practical-Tactical?") or the .20 VarTarg, but I think the VarTarg is a bit newer than you said also.

Edited about 30 seconds later to add:
I think I take that back. It DOES look smaller than a .20 or .19. Beats me.

17cal222x600.jpg
17cal223x400t.jpg

DAG Dynamit Nobel 4.3mm x 45 Prototype

Manufactured by H&K ...but never put into production. And designed for a different kind of varmint.

According to what I was told by the person that gave me the cartridge (he has many, many unusual cartridges ...wildcats,
prototypes, etc.), this was under development by H&K for the US Government in late days of the Vietnam War.

It apparently (according to this individual ...and he hasn't steered me wrong ...at least knowingly since I've known
him) ...owing to the propensity for the boots on-the-ground to oft-times choose AKs over Eugene Stoner's gun for
reliability and close-range damage potential ...was developed as a round to be used in place of the 5.56x45 ammo. A
soldier could carry much more ammo, and the incredible speeds attained by the round (without destroying the rifling)
incurred more devastating wounds on its recipients.

So, more ammo, more damage ...that was the theory. However, it never went into production (4.7mm & 4.9mm too).

Alright ...so more of a distinction than a difference in bullet diameter - .17in/4.3mm. (a 5.56 is not a .223 ...heh, heh, heh). However, performance-wise, supposedly quite different than
the .17 REM.

Well, it may have chambered similarly, but that sucker must have rattled down those barrels at a tremendous speed. What were they thinking?

What do you think ...just a tale, or fact?

DAG_43x45.jpg

Left to right: .17/223 Norma Experimental, .17-223 Frankford Arsenal Experimental F A 7 2, .17-223 Frankford Arsenal
Experimental F A 7 3, 4.3x45 D.A.G. Experimental DAG 4.3X45, 4.9x45 D.A.G. Experimental DAG
.223, 4.7x45 Experimental DAG 4.7 MM, 4.85x49 Experimental XL1E1 RG 77 4.85

Alfred Nobel - DAG - Dynamit Aktien Gessellschaft
Aktiengesellschaft (German pronunciation: [ˈaktsiənɡəzɛlʃaft]; abbreviated AG) is a German term that refers to a corporation that is limited by shares, i.e. owned by shareholders, and may be traded on a stock market. The term is used in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom