• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

can you undo a form 1

garyz

NES Member
i have a sbr that i would like to undo, back to non nfa configuration
is there a way to do that? my concern is , if/when i sell it, does it red flag as nfa

thx
garyz

i have a sbr that i would like to undo, back to non nfa configuration
is there a way to do that? my concern is , if/when i sell it, does it red flag as nfa

thx
garyz

An SBR, not in an NFA configuration, is not a Title II weapon. If we’re talking about an AR, slap a 16”upper on it, and it’s no longer an SBR. It can be treated as a Title I weapon. Sell it, transport it, etc.

What does “red flag as NFA” mean? Who “red flags” it when you sell it? NICS? That’s a check on you.

If the lower is engraved, that might tip someone off that the receiver is on the Registry, but it’s not an SBR if you sell it in a non-SBR configuration. So, unless that guy was planning on his own Form 1, what would it matter?

Plus, on or off the Registry, what’s a used lower/rifle worth these days that’s got someone else’s engraving on it?

it's not an ar, it's a pistol, i don't want to try to sell it, and find out there is an issue,
as it's currently registered as a sbr. in this situatuion, figured it's easier to ask first

talk to a lawyer because there is some scary advice being given here.

For example --- It's only an SBR why would you want to remove it? Perhaps so that it can be transported across state lines without committing a felony?

To be fair, it's either a pistol or an SBR. It can't be both.

This is my understanding of the law. Again talk to a lawyer with NFA experience. THe ATF has regulations about conversions between pistols and SBR's.

This is my understanding of the law. Again talk to a lawyer with NFA experience. THe ATF has regulations about conversions between pistols and SBR's.

Conversion isn't the issue. He said "it's not an ar, it's a pistol, i don't want to try to sell it, and find out there is an issue, as it's currently registered as a sbr."

The registered SBR may have started life as a pistol, and then have been made into an SBR (i.e. a handgun fitted with a buttstock and a barrel of less than 16 inches length), but it's currently configured either as a pistol or an SBR. Ain't both. If it's not currently configured as an SBR, then it isn't an SBR, as silly as that sentence sounds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom