Canada Goose

New hunter. Trying (and probably failing) my hand at whatever I can fit in my budget. Season right now has me looking for early Canada’s and Virginia rail… any tips?

I have some XL decoys but only a half dozen, trying to build up gear second hand bit by bit.

haven’t found a field to hunt but have found a few Canada’s on water in hunting area. Gonna keep scouting see if they frequent the pond.

For rails, I have no clue! Just walking around marshy areas as early as possible and looking around. I’m very green.

anyone hunt Canada’s over water ?

First successful goose hunt for me and my boy Emmit. We've been upland hunting together for 5 years. Got tired of trying to find snipe and rails in Sept so we figured this year we'd try goose.
3rd time out was the charm.
I've now shot pheasant, quail, woodcock, rabbits and geese over him. He's an amazing dog and we're lucky to have him in our family
241500139_2831078633781262_4063583104287298862_n.jpg
241322170_180297477523832_6340280820113712496_n.jpg

Man this one pond nearby, first day out saw a few geese and an army of mallards. Been checking everyday since. Probably 40 mallards every morning and afternoon and not a single goose since.

I just moved to this part of the state (Brewster) so I’m low on leads. Gotta make some calls to try to dig up municipal spots.

hopefully those ducks still fancy that pond opening duck day.

Good group of them on Assawompsett this weekend. Of course, can't hunt there. LOL. But I seemed a bit surprised they were here this early in the year.

There's small clusters of geese on the unhuntable spots around here. Unhuntable as in ballfields, golf courses, school fields, cemeteries etc

Is smacking them in the head considered hunting or no? If it's considered hunting, can you do it anywhere or is the firearms laws overriding because they wouldn't think someone would just go up and smack em in the head with a baseball bat???

Inquiring minds wanna know. ;). I think I found a loophole. And get rid of those annoying Canada geese. Hell, I might consider "hunting" with my bat in Myles Standish Industrial Park. Those ain't Canada geese. They're Taunton geese. They never freaking leave! No north. No south.

Scout early morning and before sundown, the resident geese have their favorite areas and should visit them often. I've shot them over water during early goose, but from my experience they like the fields more in the early season.

Went with a buddy of mine and my girlfriend to go shooting on private bog property yesterday. We pull in, geese right in the field, not bothered one bit.

I go to grab my shotgun and a barrage of vehicles pull up, I guess a friend of the owner does shooting classes and he had a class right when we got there.

I figure ok, let’s not scare everyone by shooting at geese with a 12 gauge in the middle of the day . We go down to the bog pond and do some fishing while we wait for the class to be over.

The class ran about 2 hours, every 30 min waiting I checked on the geese. Still feeding. Not bothered. An hour in they start shooting 22’s. A hundred rounds in, geese still there….. seemingly not bothered too much.

I keep waiting. Class finally over, we pull over to the targets. My buddy wanted to try out my 9mm, I load it up for him, hand it over, and walk to the truck to grab my shotgun.

Before it’s out of the case the geese hear the 9mm and leave. Not sure if it spooked them or if it was just their time to get on the move, but either way, no goose for me.

I’m hunting them on water early this week, and hopefully on that bog later this week. Owner wants them gone anyway, win win.

Also, grabbed what I could find for shot in the great ammo shortage. Got this High velocity 3” BB steel and did some test shooting with it, it’s got like 3 times the recoil of the 00 buck I shoot at the range! It seems crazy powerful. It’s the official Ducks Unlimited Snow Goose shot, I’m hoping it isn’t overkill for Canada’s.

When I was a kid my parents got two Chinese geese for reasons unknown. Never a more miserable animal have I encountered. Those two things were meaner than a Rottweiler with Tabasco on its ass.
Whenever someone would get near our yard they'd stretch out their neck and spread their wings and start honking like crazy while running towards whoever was coming near. If they got close they'd start hissing like a feral cat.
One morning they backed the milkman (remember those?) Into a corner on our porch. The big one latched onto the poor guy's crotch. I don't know if it got his tig or berries, I know is he was yelling like mad. My old man came around the corner with a rake and started bashing the goose with the rake. He ended up braking the rake over the goose's back before it finally let the guy go.The goose ran off kind of gimmpy but still alive.
We ended up bringing them to the farmer next door. But im pretty sure the farmer killed them both of them within a day.

When I was a kid my parents got two Chinese geese for reasons unknown. Never a more miserable animal have I encountered. Those two things were meaner than a Rottweiler with Tabasco on its ass.
Whenever someone would get near our yard they'd stretch out their neck and spread their wings and start honking like crazy while running towards whoever was coming near. If they got close they'd start hissing like a feral cat.
Geese are used as sentries in various parts of the world. The MWRA used European geese at various construction projects in the 70s/80s. It's why there's a giant colony of them now by the Cottage Farm (BU Bridge) on the Cambridge side adjacent the MWRA pumping station.

FGgQowmWYAQFLYr

Back
Top Bottom