• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Canadian Customs Gun ?'s

Canadian Customs Gun ?'s

Spent a long anniversary weekend visiting the Niagara Falls area. Thanks to all the guys who posted very helpful info on where to stay & what to do in my last thread.

So after waiting in a long line entering Canada on the Rainbow bridge. I was up to bat at the inquisition booth.

Customs officer, "Do you have any weapons, guns, knifes, explosives?"

Me, "Negative"

Officer, (looking at his computer screen) "Do you own any guns?"

Me, (Hmm, wondering what he knows?) "Yes"

Officer, "What kind of guns do you own, handguns?"

Me, "I own all kinds of guns"

Officer, "Do you ever carry any of your guns in your vehicle?"

Me, "No"

Officer, (after long pause, handing back the passports) "You may go"

WTH, if I had said "yes" does the car get an annal? Maybe that J-frame that fell between the seats years ago will be finally found. Or that time I was going to shoot trap & I lost my shotie in the trunk & I still can't find it.
I said I didn't have any weapons, what business is it of Canada if I carry guns in my car or of what type?

When I was a kid we were stopped at the border for the standard chit chat. He was just about to let us go when he spotted the NRA sticker on the boat we had borrowed from my grandfather. I don't remember it being too much of an inquisition, but then again that was 20+ years ago.

I'm thinking to visiting Canada next year and found this thread interesting.

Anyone else have any experience (positive/Negative) going through the border?

Also can you buy anything gun related deals over there?

Not talking about guns or ammo...I know that's importation issues.... but gun parts??

Could have been fun to tie up the line for 45 minutes to educate the customs officer that he/she has just as much right to own any gun he/she wants as we do, and to do something about their queen-controlled puppet government.

Customs officials have no sense of humor. Give them a reason (or no reason) and they will strip search you, search all your luggage, partly disassemble your car, and then tell you you are free to go as you stand next to your messed up car.

Trolling them can have serious consequences.

Customs officials have no sense of humor. Give them a reason (or no reason) and they will strip search you, search all your luggage, partly disassemble your car, and then tell you you are free to go as you stand next to your messed up car.

One can dream. [smile]

A Brit friend of mine claims this is a true story. Some years back, he and a Brit colleague were flying to Australia for business. The Australia customs official asked his colleague whether he was felon. His colleague, thinking himself a wit, replied "I didn't think that was still a requirement?" The customs official denied him entry and put him on the next flight out.

No sense of humor.

Times have changed, but 1in the 70's and 80's I drove truck and often entered Canada. I always had a double barrel Rossi 20ga in the sleeper and always declared it and was never hassled. They never wanted to look at it.

i cross that boarder for work a couple times a year. i always get asked if i have any firearms. i think americans = firearms to them. i know alot of the canadian guys at the plant up there are big hunters but they have alot more restrictions than we do on what they can own. i was chit chatting witha couple plant guys about what we all owned and they were drooling when i mentioned what wis in my safe and i only have 12 firearms not nearly enough

A Brit friend of mine claims this is a true story. Some years back, he and a Brit colleague were flying to Australia for business. The Australia customs official asked his colleague whether he was felon. His colleague, thinking himself a wit, replied "I didn't think that was still a requirement?" The customs official denied him entry and put him on the next flight out.

No sense of humor.

[rofl]

And, +1 on the "don't poke the customs bear" - A friend owned a limo company for many years. A Montreal (bachelor party I think) trip went seriously sideways when he mouthed off to Customs... His car wasn't fit to carry passengers by the time they were done; he had to call a car service to complete his passengers' trip and limp home to effect repairs.

Ah yes, Terrance and Phillip @ the border. [smile] Back about 27 years ago, my now wife and I drove up to Niagara in their car. This guy carries everywhere. We get to the customs guy @ Rainbow bridge and the only thing he asks is; "You have any firearms with you?" I half expected my pal to say "Why, what do you need?" (He's a smartazz)

Buddy says "No."

Guy looks as the 4 of us in the car and asks "Are you sure?"

Buddy says "Yup."

OK, you can go.

Bob/Rob, you should jump in here and tell the story of the Canadian customs officials "inspecting" your Race-Guns by pointing them at each other................... [rolleyes]

ThIs. A Long time ago a friend of mine tired to cross the border in a custom van. There was a feather attached to the rear view mirror with an alligator clip. The Canadian customs guy said it was dug paraphernalia and was cause to search the van.

They tore out everything: seats, dash, etc. After finding nothing they handed some hand tools to my friend and told him to have fun.

yeah, no pepper spray either!

Somehow they can see your arrest record also, even though they are...Canadian! Know a guy that was arrested for DUI once in USA, and he got the anal probe crossing over, and was not even driving.

last time through (12 months ago) we were asked 4 times if we had any guns in the car, as if the first 3 times i answered "no" were not enough

Now that is the truth. After a very trying day of traveling for 14 hours from California to Nova Scotia to visit family I had a nice little encounter with customs. I was bring back my buddies empty hard case for a bow that I used for travel with my bow to California earlier that year.

Customs: What is in the case?
Me: Nothing
Customs: I asked what was in the case?
Me: I told you, nothing.
Customs: Why are you traveling with an empty case?

Now it should be noted that I was beat ass tired, it was a long day, delay after delay a cancelled flight and re-routed. It was now about 1am and I had been on the road all day. My answer was meant as a joke to lighten the mood.

Me: Its easier to get the body back into the country *clearly smiling and joking*
Customs: Sir please step to the side and go to the room at the end of the hall.

45 minute wait later, the same customs officer showed up.
Customs: We meet again.

From there it was 1 hour of him searching everything with a fine tooth comb. No strip search though, just my luggage.

No sense of humor at all I tell ya! And clearly not the wisest decision I have ever made.

Just after I was divorced, I was bored and decided to meet a few friends up in Montreal for a weekend of debauchery on Ste Catherines St.....I can't print that part, BUT.....on crossing the border, Canadian Customs officer noted the NRA and Smith & Wesson stickers - you don't have any guns in that car do you?

no ma'am

Sir, transporting guns across the border to Canada is a serious crime, do you have any guns in that car?!?

Ma'am, asking the same question again isn't going to change my answer. No, I have no guns to carry across your border. I'm only coming across to go to Montreal, nothing more, nothing less.

ANd whats your business in Montreal?

Ste Catherines Street.

and?

and nothing more.

Long pause......"enjoy your stay in Canada."

If you want to confuse Canadian customs, drive across with a 1911 and the Canadian license to transport restricted weapon(or whatever they call it these days). BTDT.

If you want to confuse Canadian customs, drive across with a 1911 and the Canadian license to transport restricted weapon(or whatever they call it these days). BTDT.

Bob/Rob, you should jump in here and tell the story of the Canadian customs officials "inspecting" your Race-Guns by pointing them at each other...................

Took the Cat over to Nova Scotia in 2002- at the dock the customs guy kept asking if I had brought any "knives or weapons" for protection- kept telling him no.

Funniest Canadian customs story- in October 2005 my former employer had out sourced some portion of phone support to a company in England and to EDS in Sydney Nova Scotia. The company in England fell down, and EDS couldn't keep up so they asked some of the senior field folks to go up for a couple of weeks to help train the Canadians- asked on Friday and wanted us there Monday morning.

Fly up on Sunday, am in Halifax and they ask why I'm going to Canada- I answer "for work". Lots of harrumphing, wanting to understand the work I was doing, lots of details, why don't I have a work visa and permit etc... Finally I answered I was going up there to train Canadians to take jobs away from Americans- "Oh ok, no problem, welcome to Canada" and on I went.

I went to Quebec twice this year hunting... On the US side you have to fill out a "Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects taken Abroad" for each rifle, black powder rifle, or bow/Xbow going into Canada... including number of cartridges and/or arrows. It's not gun registration, just proof you didn't buy them in Canada when you return to the US. If you don't you may be leaving them at the border when you come home.

On the Canadian side you have to fill out a "Non-Resident Firearms Declaration" for each rifle. Cost $25.00. Good for only 60 days. You also have to declare any Bear Spray you may be bringing into Canada... Bear Spray is OK... any type of pepper spray or mace is not and it will be confiscated. The Bear Spray has to be taken inside and be inspected. They will ask you if you have a hunting knife and ask for a description or physically inspect it.

Don't, even accidentally, bring any undeclared cartridges, mace, or arrows... or the cuffs await you.

Most of the Border Patrol on both sides are business like and professional... then there's the 10%... Just Yes Sir, No Sir, and don't volunteer any information. It's equal opportunity at the border... we've been checked on the Canadian side and the US side. If you are checked it will take from 20 minutes to eternity.

In contrast during our stay in Canada, the wife & I walked across the border to ride the Maid of the Mist. The pedestrian check point on both sides was a breeze. Where do you live, staying & where are you going? You may pass.
The question I want to know is, can the Canadian border Gestapo pull up my gun ownership records?

On the Canadian side you have to fill out a "Non-Resident Firearms Declaration" for each rifle. Cost $25.00. Good for only 60 days.
It is a bit more complicated if you are bringing a restricted weapon (EBR or handgun)

The last time we went to Canada I was 17 and my sister 13. They asked for her ID....well its not like she had a drivers license. That took a couple hours to clear up. Never had that happen the other times we crossed the border for past vacations. Coming home, it was "Are you all citizens?" yes. "welcome back, have a nice day"

What's with the "knife" questions they ask? Are they not allowed in Canada, or just not certain knives? I always have some knives on me or stashed somewhere in the vehicle that I don't even think about so thus don't remove in advance of any trip. Nothing "scary" like some kind of fighting knife, just micro leatherman, swiss army knife, etc.

And yeah, they have always asked me the gun question, at least once per entry. One time, they asked several times in a row and I explained that I just drove through New York and am entering Canada, both places I know they are illegal so I would not have them with me. That seemed to satisfy him.

The last time we went to Canada I was 17 and my sister 13. They asked for her ID....well its not like she had a drivers license. That took a couple hours to clear up. Never had that happen the other times we crossed the border for past vacations. Coming home, it was "Are you all citizens?" yes. "welcome back, have a nice day"

We visit Toronto often. Usually no problems. This one time we got a serious dick. We had left home later than I had wanted and had my mom with us so had to make more stops than usual so it was after midnight when we got to the border. I have three children - he acted like he thought we had kidnapped them. He wanted to know why we were trying to transport kids into Canada so late at night etc... I had already passed over the passports and birth certs and assured him they were our kids and told him to look at the ids. He didn't like that. My sister in law was in the back seat holding out her and my mom's passports the whole time he was grilling me. Her arm got tired so she pulled the passports back in and then he snapped his head around and asked why she was trying to hide them. Eventually he got around to the guns question. "No, we don't have any guns" says I. I was sure we were going to get inspected the way this guy was going. Then he asks if we have anything of value or gifts. I had told him we were staying with family so when I say "No gifts" he condescendingly says, "You are staying with relatives and you don't have the decency to show up with gifts?". I just shrugged. He let us through after that saying "Get the kids passports, It would make things go faster". LOL if it wasn't for all his BS questions we would have been through in 2 seconds.

Hunting knives and folding knives are OK... they're checking for the switchblades and mechanical style and fighting knives. I've crossed into Canada four times and have been asked four times about what type of knife I had... and physically inspected the knife once. They may be asking because we are going hunting.

Customs officials have no sense of humor.

Not true! My father, two younger brothers and I were returning to NH from Michigan and our birth certificates had been left in my mother's luggage in a different vehicle. The polite Canadian officer explained to us that he was an Immigration officer and not a Customs officer, and was thus more concerned with who entered Canada than what entered Canada. He told us we needed proof of US citizenship to enter Canada. I turned to my father and, with as much sarcasm as I could, said, "That's OK, dad. All my life I've wanted to see Toledo."

He could barely keep a straight face as he waved us through, with an admonishment to not forget next time.

That was 34 years ago. Now, the last three times I've been pulled over for (very) minor traffic infractions, I pointed out to them that their holster had inadvertently become unsnapped. None of them expressed any appreciation for my helpful observation.

JBTs!

Back
Top Bottom