• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cant find part (Scar barrel extension screw)

CrackPot

NES Member
I was working on a Scar and one of the barrel extension screws got cross threaded.

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 4.38.44 PM.png

It is captive, so partially a design flag that it was possible to cross thread it. In any case, I need to find a replacement.

Barrel Extension Screw

I called FN and they said to get it from midwest gunworks. midwest has been out of stock for 4 months and counting.

Anyone have a source or maybe one available?

A $3000+ rifle sitting unsellable because of a $8 part is a little frustrating.

Where is it listed for $8 ? "Notify me when available"
The link in the original post. MGW sells it for $8 (in theory, since they dont have it in stock who knows)

Can you come up with the correct die to chase it?
The screw stripped by the cross threading. The barrel is fine. I was able to screw in other screws (there are 6 on each rifle) to that hole.

So I need to find a replacement screw

I was working on a Scar and one of the barrel extension screws got cross threaded.

View attachment 308070

It is captive, so partially a design flag that it was possible to cross thread it. In any case, I need to find a replacement.

Barrel Extension Screw

I called FN and they said to get it from midwest gunworks. midwest has been out of stock for 4 months and counting.

Did you try Parker mountain machine ?

View attachment 308070

Barrel Extension Screw

Often the case with expensive low production number guns.

The link in the original post. MGW sells it for $8 (in theory, since they dont have it in stock who knows)

The screw stripped by the cross threading. The barrel is fine. I was able to screw in other screws (there are 6 on each rifle) to that hole.

So I need to find a replacement screw
Screws are easier to make. You just need to find a machine shop to do it.

View attachment 308070

Barrel Extension Screw

@sschevy ?

Is this your rifle or a friend/customers? If you own a scar i suggest you ask questions on fnforum and not here. Let me save you some money. I have all these as a backup for my 16.

SCAR 16 Rebuild

Thanks for the update. Just ordered a couple for backup. I figure if you could cross thread them, I certainly could:).

Is this your rifle or a friend/customers? If you own a scar i suggest you ask questions on fnforum and not here. Let me save you some money. I have all these as a backup for my 16.

SCAR 16 Rebuild
It’s a new rifle for sale. I have to take the barrel out for pin/weld. I’ve done it 20 times before and this time...

It’s a new rifle for sale. I have to take the barrel out for pin/weld. I’ve done it 20 times before and this time...

That will permanently devalue it for any out of MA sale. Is it worth more in MA?

Last edited:
That will permanently devalue it for any out of MA sale.

Not necessarily. A proper pin/weld can be undone pretty easily with just a drill press or grinding wheel. The weld just holds the pin in place; if it was done correctly (not welded too deep), you drill or grind off the weld and the pin will fall out, just leaving a small divot in the muzzle threads.

Not necessarily. A proper pin/weld can be undone pretty easily with just a drill press or grinding wheel. The weld just holds the pin in place; if it was done correctly (not welded too deep), you drill or grind off the weld and the pin will fall out, just leaving a small divot in the muzzle threads.
Agreed. Proper hole depth and welding and the undoing is not hard. Very small dent in the threading. It essentially fixes itself when you remove the muzzle device.

Since my primary focus is on sales inside MA, I don't even post the rifle for sale before I have it ready for pickup. pin/weld factory muzzle device, addressing of stock both fold and adjust in non-visible way.

Back
Top Bottom