• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can't get a straight answer-Intrastate move with SBR

Mr.E

NES Member
So I've done quite a bit of searching online and have some up with the following that pertains to an Intrastate (within same state) move with an NFA item:
  • Per Form 1 (Form 5320.01) "Change of Description or Address: The registrant shall notify the NFA Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing, of any change to the description of the firearm in Item 4, or any change to the address of the registrant"
  • However, I have also seen that since June 2013 the ATF has been returning these notifications citing that they are now requesting the mover to fill out Form 5320.20
  • Issue is Form 5320 is for Interstate moving

So the million dollar question is should I just fill out 5320 and stop thinking about it?

Why not just call the NFA branch and ask? I'm sure they'll tell you if/what form to submit. I called to ask a question about my first SBR and the lady basically walked me through the whole form lol.

Good luck getting two answers that say the same thing on Intrastate questions. I'm 100% serious.
That's the problem..I'm just going to submit the 5320 I suppose even though the form itself says "Interstate" not Intrastate..

That's the problem..I'm just going to submit the 5320 I suppose even though the form itself says "Interstate" not Intrastate..

Right or wrong this is a Reader's Digest version I went thru.

I knew I needed to fill out a form 20 to move the SBR to my home in Maine.
Was told directly from BATFE I also needed a form 20 to move it within the state. I scratched my head. Looked for something that said Intra not Inter and had a total failure like you are dealing with. Asked here and was told that's dumb in not so many words.

Filled out Form 20's from my home in MA to both gun clubs in MA. Approved
Filled out Form 20's from my home in MA to my home in Maine. Approved
Filled out Form 20's from my home in Maine to the gun club also in Maine. Disapproved. Wrong address. Every move comes from my MA address no matter what is what I was told.

Guy was very polite on the phone. I followed his instructions to the letter. Original forms in the gun safe. Copies (stamp and 20's) in a binder in the bottom of the SBR case.

My advice for what it costs you is fill out the 20 and send it in. Don't get hung up on the Intra versus Inter thing like I did.

I also got advice for leaving the threaded barrel, flash hider and collapsible stock on it. No welded or pressed pins needed. It's a SBR that's federally controlled, not a rifle per the state.

Resurrecting this because I moved again.
Didn't get a clear answer of the form 20 (5320.20) so didn't file for the first intrastate move. The more research I do says that just to be safe it should be done.
I am filling it out for the second move..Should i submit one for the first move as well at the same time....red flag? Just say I'm moving from the second address instead of the first address?

I’ll reserve comment to others. I would have notified and let them decide if they cared or not. Like I wrote prior I couldn’t get a clear answer so better safe than sorry.

Ya, but my research showed it wasn’t needed...so perhaps I’ll just start with my current move

20ba1b9177bc43fd82cca962a7f8227f020650a0.jpg

You don't need to file a 5320.20 for an in state move. If you are crossing state lines temporarily or permanently you are required to file a 5320.20.

I have a suppressor and will be moving to another town in NH next month. Since it is an intrastate move am I correct in assuming I do not need to notify the ATF of the address change?

Next question. If I do choose to file, under name of owner, so I put myself or just the name of the Trust?
Such a silly system

why don't you just call the field office and ask them instead of trying to poll everyone on the internet for their opinion? You're wasting more energy and time than it would take to make a 2 minute call.

Ya, that’s what I decided to do

Most trusts are set up so that a move to a different state has no affect on the trust. Yours is probably set up that way but its worth confirming. The only exception is the state of Maine, if you are moving to Maine you will need to amend the trust to use it again in the future.

Back
Top Bottom