• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Car into water scenario

the new standard for side glass requires the use of a laminated glass, it has to be CUT with a saw or beat with a sledge hammer to get thru the laminating film. Basically the side windows are now like windshields, laminated glass that will not shatter.

Until recently, side windows were tempered glass designed to shatter into thousands of small pieces... which is why you could hit them with a spring loaded center punch and they would break.

These new windows/regulations should have been rejected out of hand by the U.S. National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.

You go in the water now and if you can't get a door open or a window down because of damage, you drown.

more people get ejected than drown

plus this cuts down on smash & grab thefts from cars and cops being able to easily pull you out of your car by breaking the glass

Also road rage implications

more people get ejected than drown

plus this cuts down on smash & grab thefts from cars and cops being able to easily pull you out of your car by breaking the glass

Also road rage implications

This.

By comparison with these kinds of events, a "car going into the water" scenario is extremely remote. Insurers will support the safety measures most likely to result in smaller/fewer payouts.

No one has said shoot the window yet. I'm surprised
Post #7. Perhaps he was too discrete?

If you live around a canal system or something then sure, worry about this, but in most places around here you'd have to have a seriously bad day to put a vehicle into a pond or river. I have two seatbelt cutters (sharp knives) on me and a 15rd glass break tool on my hip at all times. That's about all you can do.

i sure hope nobody has to put their best thought out plans to the test cause i got a feeling when the mind goes into a full panic, the best of plans may get muddled in the fray. unless you have made it thru buds and you are drown proofed and can keep your wits about you.

While the scenario IS a little remote on the percentage side, there are always the cases such as the tragedy that befell a father & son @ Lake Nipmuck in Mendon last month.

Upside down, in the water, at night? Yep I probably wouldn't have made it either. Sad.

Break the side window with your center punch in your side door pocket. Get out of the car. Then use your pocket knife to cut your tire stem and suck in air>
What else.

unless you have made it thru buds and you are drown proofed

I remember a swim test with full gear. You were required to make it across the pool, "under any means available."

I took a few deep breaths and dropped in to the bottom and walked across the pool, popping up on the other side. Safety DI met me at the rail and said, "Wise guy."

Last edited:
If you live around a canal system or something then sure, worry about this, but in most places around here you'd have to have a seriously bad day to put a vehicle into a pond or river. I have two seatbelt cutters (sharp knives) on me and a 15rd glass break tool on my hip at all times. That's about all you can do.
I was driving to a job site in Marshfield (?) back in the 90’s. Light snow on the road and I was going fairly slow. Hit a patch of ice and slid right off the road into a river. It was a steep angle so only my front end got wet. No guard rail or anything back then

Back
Top Bottom