• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Car safe?

ridleyman

NES Member
I'd love to have a little car safe/lock box bolted to my car to hold a handgun. Although maybe I'd need 2, one for ammo, if I'm driving through NY.

Any recommendations of models, prices, installation techniques? Thanks!

Oh sweet Jesus, no, don't do this. This is something drug dealers do. Drug dealers will keep handguns or drugs or cash in safes in cars, which then raises a thousand little bells in the minds of cops.

I can see it right now if a cop pulls you over:

"License and registration."
"Here you are Officer Friendly."
"Sir, what's in the safe?"
"..." OR "My lawfully registered handgun, sir!"
"Sir, please step out of the vehicle" - (clicks radio) "backup requested."
"AM I BEING DETAINED?!?"

Console Vault, if you have a console/vehicle they make a model for.
I use mine daily for when I need to disarm to visit schools etc in the course of my day.
As for the above nonsense, it's invisible when installed and more importantly, perfectly legal.

I keep a cheap clamshell style lockbox in each vehicle and the camper to store my handgun if I go into a place like the Post Office. I also use it to transport a handgun when I fly.

64079_I.jpg

There are a wide variety of options. Things like the Console Vault are spendy.

Console Vault® | Buy Direct For Lowest Price + Free Shipping

Bob

Look into laws regarding securing a firearm while traveling in case I am wrong.
You can not have access to the firearm while in the car so think trunk etc.
if you’re trying to secure your firearm while you say go to a show or get a hair cut then in the passenger compartment storage is a okay.
I like the Fort Knox pistol / auto box. It is well built doesn’t need a key or batteries. Since it uses a simplex lock.

Car Pistol Box | Auto Pistol Box | Ft. Knox

NY is not going to care that you have the 2 lock boxes or not, in fact they wont care what you have or how its stored its getting taken more than likely. Best thing what I did was have a cheap gun that you don't really care about, this way when its taken from you on the side of the road is it worth fighting to get back.
Don't drive like your from Mass, 10 and 2 on the wheel and do the speed limit, once your past NY release your butt cheeks and relax.

I have a Vaultek VT20 that I use. I don't have it bolted in as I use it as my bedside safe, however, it comes with a cable that you can tether to something. I take it with me everywhere I go in case I need to go somewhere that I can't carry, such as my son's school. I'm able to fit my VP9 in it, loaded, along with three other magazines.

There are also holes in the bottom of it so you can permanently mount it to something. They have a VT20i version also which offers the fingerprint access option if that interests you.

Console Vault, if you have a console/vehicle they make a model for.
I use mine daily for when I need to disarm to visit schools etc in the course of my day.
As for the above nonsense, it's invisible when installed and more importantly, perfectly legal.

Its not "nonsense" when the OP sounds like he's literally going to have a safe bolted into a car and thus visible. If its not visible, fine, but if its visible, that's just stupid.

Cops will also absolutely go into safes they find in cars. Found one Mass example, Commonwealth v. Difalco, 73 Mass. App. Ct. 401 (2008). There was one really good example I found back at a previous job where a drug dealer was dumb enough to carry a handheld safe into a car while being observed by a cop, it was a Worcester Superior Court case.

Edit: "perfectly legal" behavior can contribute to probable cause. Cops finding a safe, visible or otherwise, is going to go in a police report and be used as the basis for probable cause justification. The cops would be entitled to get a warrant to search the safe. There's a ton of case law on cops searching locked containers in cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have an SUV or pickup check out Console Vault. If not look at this one Shot Lock . Mechanical lock so no batteries to die like Vaultek, which are otherwise nice.
71zaqFJNtOL._AC_SL1400_.jpg

Edit: "perfectly legal" behavior can contribute to probable cause. Cops finding a safe, visible or otherwise, is going to go in a police report and be used as the basis for probable cause justification. The cops would be entitled to get a warrant to search the safe. There's a ton of case law on cops searching locked containers in cars.
Search warrants rarely require more than "we think he is guilty". I've even read one issued because lawful behavior caused the police to suspect unlawful behavior, and the courts first word to the subject's attorney was "I don't want to hear any argument about the warrant". It ended up as CWOF time so no motivation to break the bank on an appeal, if that is even possible with a CWOF.

It gets interesting when the police have opportunity to secure the container while getting the warrant and don't bother to do so.

Search warrants rarely require more than "we think he is guilty". I've even read one issued because lawful behavior caused the police to suspect unlawful behavior, and the courts first word to the subject's attorney was "I don't want to hear any argument about the warrant". It ended up as CWOF time so no motivation to break the bank on an appeal, if that is even possible with a CWOF.

It gets interesting when the police have opportunity to secure the container while getting the warrant and don't bother to do so.

IDGAF if they think I'm guilty of something due to my console vault or locked weatherguard tool box, the guns/ammo they may contain aren't illegal.
If asked to look inside, I will always say no.
Want to get a warrant? I'll wait.

If you have an SUV or pickup check out Console Vault. If not look at this one Shot Lock . Mechanical lock so no batteries to die like Vaultek, which are otherwise nice.
View attachment 325325

The Vaultek I have also has key, in case the battery dies. Not sure if all of them have this, but mine has a charging port to charge it, and also has an app for your phone so you can see how much life the battery has left in it. It will also tell you all the times the safe has been open, what method it was opened with and if there were any failures to open. I've had it for a couple of years and have only charged it twice, which includes the initial charging. The second time I charged it was about a month ago and it still had quite a bit of life in it.

Thanks for all of the responses and suggestions.

And, no, the safe was not going to be visible and obvious.

And even if you lock your gun up to go into school, are you allowed to even keep it on school property?

Finally, if I bolt it down to the floor of the 3rd row of Sequoia and cover it, is there anything I have to worry about effing up under the sheet metal?

And even if you lock your gun up to go into school, are you allowed to even keep it on school property?
The police are trained no. This is deliberate deception. MGL 269-10j makes "carry on ones person" a crime, not possession not on ones person. This does not stop charges from being bought, but they generally get CWOFed or dismissed if no "on person carry" if the defen$e coun$el know what (s)he is doing.

I had a Tuffy box in my Wrangler. You unbolt the seat, slide this in, bolt seat back down. You don't remove the seat, just the nuts off the front two bolts. Easy, peasy. Don't get a combo lock unless you can lean all the way over and read a combo dial under your seat. I got the keyed version and it was great. I added a piece of foam because it was just metal. It was perfect for the Jeep because you have to assume anything in a Jeep will get stolen.

The police are trained no. This is deliberate deception. MGL 269-10j makes "carry on ones person" a crime, not possession not on ones person. This does not stop charges from being bought, but they generally get CWOFed or dismissed if no "on person carry" if the defen$e coun$el know what (s)he is doing.

This.

Emphasis on the $$$$$$$$

I had a Tuffy box in my Wrangler. You unbolt the seat, slide this in, bolt seat back down. You don't remove the seat, just the nuts off the front two bolts. Easy, peasy. Don't get a combo lock unless you can lean all the way over and read a combo dial under your seat. I got the keyed version and it was great. I added a piece of foam because it was just metal. It was perfect for the Jeep because you have to assume anything in a Jeep will get stolen.

That is by far the most reasonably priced option I have seen for that type of safe setup.

Bob

Oh sweet Jesus, no, don't do this. This is something drug dealers do. Drug dealers will keep handguns or drugs or cash in safes in cars, which then raises a thousand little bells in the minds of cops.

I can see it right now if a cop pulls you over:

Lol it's not that retarded of an idea if it is done out of sight... and if a cop is rifling through your car, you already are going to have a bad iday...

-Mike

Lower your hands. You probably learned to keep your hands at the '10 and 2 o'clock' positions on the steering wheel. Today, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recommends drivers put their hands at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. One reason for the change is to potentially keep hands out of the way if the airbag deploys.

Back
Top Bottom