Careers in law enforcement

I've thought in the past about getting into a career in law enforcement. The issue that I keep running into is that I have some ankle/knee problems and I can't run distances. I can do a quick sprint, but I don't think I can run a mile. I can bike 30 miles, so it's not a cardiovascular thing, it's just me leg. So, as far as I can tell, that would disqualify me for most patrol/LEO jobs.

Are there other ways that I can have a career in law enforcement (I don't mean being a receptionist in a PD or something, I mean actually working in law enforcement). I'm a pretty smart guy (at least I like to think so). I have a Bachelor's degree, although it's not in criminal justice or anything - it's in chemistry. And obviously I have some firearms experience, although I doubt that's a prerequisite for a LE job.

I've thought about forensics, since that related to my chemistry degree, but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for careers in actual law enforcement.

Also, I live in Somerville, MA, if that matters.

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately might not be the best time to get into the career now, in that A LOT of depts are laying off, and the few that are hiring are picking guys up off the lay off list...

But ignoring all that for the purpose of discussion, I'd suggest first getting on some place as a part timer (reserve, special, auxilary, whatever) and try to find such a place where the part timers at least "kinda" do stuff. Plan on doing that for a year or so to at least get a "taste" of law enforment, then you can make up your own mind on what you'ld like to do...

As for your ankle problems, from what you descibe I wouldn't worry...

From what I understand, it is very, very hard to get on a force in MA. Your best bet would be to join a force out of state, get a number of years of experience, and then try to move back to MA (if you wanted to come back).

I don't know the implications of your injury.

Take it from a cop of 19 years...its an honor and prestigious and all that but the money sucks unless you want to work endless overtime and road details, which by the way, our nice governor is trying to get ride of so my advice...be a fireman or a clown in the Ringling Brothers Circus. I'm positive they both pay better.[laugh]

could try out for FBI or one of the other dozens of 3 letter orginizations. long training away from home (i think 12 weeks) and relocation is a constant possibility though.

no offense to our LEO members, but entry level PD in these times is signing on for crappy hours, lousy money, and the chance you will be laid off in the near future, at which time you'll be competing with every other laid off LEO who was placed back on the list, albeit at the top, who is trying to get into another department.

When is there going to be another test and when does the current list expire?

no offense to our LEO members, but entry level PD in these times is signing on for crappy hours, lousy money, and the chance you will be laid off in the near future, at which time you'll be competing with every other laid off LEO who was placed back on the list, albeit at the top, who is trying to get into another department.

When is there going to be another test and when does the current list expire?

the current list expires in nov. the last test was in april and the scores still arent out yet [rolleyes]. There will prob be another test in april

They really should test twice a year. It could really help with the budget deficit [wink]. I know departments in NH, VT, and CT are actually hiring, if you're willing to relocate.

Don't forget that layoffs are on the top of the list. We have 2 openings and they will be filled with layoffs.

jobs are really bad right now, the only best career to start is in the medical field, look they cant even keep up with the swine flu vaccines.

I have 15 years as a LEO and my advice is its an OK job, but in order to make any money plan on working at least 50 hours a week. Like other have said our Govenor is Looking to take away details and also has mentioned trying to change our pension benefits. A custodian in my town has a higher base pay and better hours then a Junior Patrolman. I know that in my Dept there is going to be a surge of people leaving if/when they take away the quin bill and details.YMMV

Take it from a cop of 19 years...its an honor and prestigious and all that but the money sucks unless you want to work endless overtime and road details, which by the way, our nice governor is trying to get ride of so my advice...be a fireman or a clown in the Ringling Brothers Circus. I'm positive they both pay better.[laugh]

Amen Brotha +1

The clown Gig usually puts you into contact with a better class of people also LOL!!!

The three letter alphabet agencies pay well, but you put in the hours to get the pay. My normal week is 50 hours, I've put as many as 130 on a timesheet for two weeks when things get crazy.

If the physical side is a problem, you can man up and grunt out the runs while at the academy if you can do all the other PT. I know of people who have completed the academy with stress fractures in both legs.

With a chemistry degree, have you looked at 'CSI' type jobs with the state? I have a buddy that loves his job. His lab is almost like the TV series, but state level with dna lab and what not. He gets a real sense of accomplishment when he figures out what really happened and puts the RIGHT guy away.

Back
Top Bottom