• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carry for comfort or shootability?

Carry for comfort or shootability?

• Total voters
Personally I only have one Pistol at this time. I have put some serious time behind it and have grown to be proficient at it. I have noticed I am way more consistent with speed and accuracy with an added WML on my G19, BUT to carry a G19 with an x300u is less than ideal in the comfort department. I believe it's the added weight that aids the most in this scenario.

That being said I can conceal and comfortably carry a G19. I can conceal and UNcomfortably carry a G19 with an x300u. I would love to carry small single stack (for even more comfort), but the lack of weight may lead me in the opposite direction.

So does everyone carry for comfort... ex. a single stack
carry for performance... forgoing comfort
carry with compromise... fall somewhere in between

For me, the situation, more than comfort/shootability dictates.

Winter, with a heavy coat? No problem OWB carrying a P226 with 20 round mags.
Summer, or a quick trip to store? LCP II with two 6 rd mags will suffice.
Everything else there's a G19 with 15 + 17 rd solution.

Keep in mind that in the overwhelming majority of self-defense situations the level of accuracy required is not 25 yard headshots. If you can quickly draw at ten feet and put several shots on the silhouette, you're on the right track, in my opinion...and you are practicing your draw, aren't you?

If you're uncomfortable, you'll be distracted. Comfort.

Unless you're the fuzz, you're carrying to increase your options if something bad happens. It's just a tool you keep handy in case it's needed. Put it somewhere comfortable (where nobody will make fun of you if they discover it, anyway) and fuggetaboutit.

For me, the situation, more than comfort/shootability dictates.

Winter, with a heavy coat? No problem OWB carrying a P226 with 20 round mags.
Summer, or a quick trip to store? LCP II with two 6 rd mags will suffice.
Everything else there's a G19 with 15 + 17 rd solution.

Keep in mind that in the overwhelming majority of self-defense situations the level of accuracy required is not 25 yard headshots. If you can quickly draw at ten feet and put several shots on the silhouette, you're on the right track, in my opinion...and you are practicing your draw, aren't you?

Yes, absolutely. I am planning on my next purchase (second pistol) and am trying to decide. Do I try to increase the efficiency of my G19 with a comp and keep for home defense and get another G19 for carry. I could also leave my G19 alone and get a smaller gun (IE Shield or G43) for scenarios like you said.. quick trips.

I guess I could make anything work with enough practice. Just looking to get the experience of those who have been where I am.
Thank you for any input!

I'm a two-gun guy. Always have been.
G23 and a Jframe.
Love my wheelgun as a BUG.

Spare mags and ammo for both.
I've never felt so "comfortable"...

Carry every day, everywhere. Uncomfortable = won't get carried as often.
Yes. There's no point in having any carry guns if when you're heading towards the door you say, "nah, I don't feel like lugging that around" and it sits in the safe.

Getting the LCP II means I am now carrying on every incidental type trip. Before I got it, being perfectly honest, I'd go without sometimes. When you're running out to fill up your gas tank or pickup take out, tossing an LCP II and a spare mag in your pocket is so effortless versus holstering up, etc. It's lighter than my wallet and keys, and with it riding in the pocket it's eminently comfortable.

Everyone compromises.

If you were carrying solely for effect, you'd never be without a rifle, with air support at the ready.

If your only care were comfort, you wouldn't take off your pajamas in the morning, and certainly wouldn't put up with the extra weight of ammo and firearm.

The question is really "what do you consider an appropriate compromise?" When I carry, I usually stick to my Shield 9, because I'm still hung up on printing despite knowing better.

A G19 without a light is comfortable for me everyday outside of work.. maybe I just need to get a more comfortable option for work and train with both.

My"go to" guns for years were a G17 or G22, great under a jacket, but in the summer it was problematic.

I have been using a G26 or my old Model 60 revolver for the past few years, I am proficient with them and with the right leather they carry easily.

At some point I will pick up a single stack Glock 43.

I'd love to carry my 1911 or S&W Model 13, but I don't have good leather for them, but up until I got my first Glock in 1991, a Model 13 was my EDC for close to 10 years, and even after I got the G17 I would carry the 13 in a shoulder rig

There’s so many quality holster and carry options out there that there’s no need to be uncomfortable regardless of what gun you have. Well maybe not an S2 but you get my drift.

I think that if you found a gun that carries very comfortably and you want to carry it you should just train train and train with it... my guess is you will be fine.

Everyone compromises.

If you were carrying solely for effect, you'd never be without a rifle, with air support at the ready.

If your only care were comfort, you wouldn't take off your pajamas in the morning, and certainly wouldn't put up with the extra weight of ammo and firearm.

The question is really "what do you consider an appropriate compromise?" When I carry, I usually stick to my Shield 9, because I'm still hung up on printing despite knowing better.

Wear tactical pajamas and you never have to change at all!

s-l1600.jpg

A G19 without a light is comfortable for me everyday outside of work.. maybe I just need to get a more comfortable option for work and train with both.

I'm not a weapon-mounted light fan. Especially when you are checking on the kids in the next tent. Standalones for me...

I'm not a weapon-mounted light fan.
i have a light on the 19 i keep in the bed room at night. don't see a real need really outside the home.

i carry a shield when i'm out and about with just the 8 rd mag inserted. that should get me out of trouble. hey, to each his own. i just don't want to be laden down with multiple guns and spare ammo. i posted once of a guy i knew when i first got into shooting who toted 3 full size 1911's daily. a double shoulder rig and one on his belt. freakin' guy wore one of those london fog trench coats 365 days a year when he was out. winter, summer, didn't matter. he must have carried 30 extra pounds between guns and ammo.

At home, I like a 4 D-cell Maglite, because I'd rather "flashlight" whip an intruder than shoot him. Unless he is coming at me with something in his hand...

At home, I like a 4 D-cell Maglite, because I'd rather "flashlight" whip an intruder than shoot him. Unless he is coming at me with something in his hand...
yeah, i have a 4 cell maglite bedside also. handy to have. i live alone and i'll say this. if someone is in my bedroom at night, knowing no one should be in the house, it ain't going to be the maglite i go to first.

I selected comfort as in my carry method is geared toward comfort, which is typically pocket carry. It's not going to be the fastest draw, but for me it's fast as I practice that way. For me if it's not comfortable I'm probably not going to have it. So comfort is what I choose for my method of carry and the size of my ccw.

tl;dr

You need to compromise.

If it’s not comfortable to carry, you won’t.
If it’s not comfortable to shoot, you won’t.

You could be the worlds best shooter with a long slide glock, but if you don’t like carrying it, chances are you won’t.

You could love carrying a little snubnose 38, but if you hate shooting the thing, chances are you won’t.

If you’re not going to carry or shoot it as much as you should, what’s the point?

Find a setup that you’ll carry regularly, and that you’ll put enough rounds through to make it worth it.

My Uncle Sam taught me to carry some of the most "uncomfortable" things you could ever imagine and for ungodly distances in all kinds of weather.
Everything else is cupcakes...

Back
Top Bottom