Carry for comfort or shootability?

Carry for comfort or shootability?

• Total voters
At the moment I'm at the dentist's with my little Bodyguard 380 on my hip. More comfy in a recliner.

My favorite is getting a haircut. Nothing like when they straddle between your legs to come in for your bangs.
Talk about printing...

For a time I carried my G19 owb with a tlr1. It was too much so I stopped. I also have a rig where I carry the G19 appendix with a spare mag next to it. Convenient but too much for me to handle up front. I usually carry the G19 appendix without a reload these days and without the light. It’s jusr what I can handle. When I carry the shield it’s appendix with a reload.

Rarely I go for maximum comfort and carry the shield owb by itself. It’s always a compromise unless I’m going to war. (0% of the time)

Single stacks in the summer, I start with the G19 right around now. I carry pretty much all the time so to me its gotta to be comfortable

Single stacks in the summer, Ill start putting the G19 in rotation right around now. I carry pretty much all the time so to me its gotta to be comfortable.

COMFORT, I have a lot of so-called carry guns. But I carry a bodyguard 380 with a technic clip no holster needed. It's like wearing a pager. Not a fun gun to shoot (too small). I shoot it just enough to stay accurate with it.

When I carry, I carry my least liked, cheapest firearm. My M&P Shield .40. I chose this because it shoots well, it's small, compact and somewhat light (still fairly heavy for a small gun). I would prefer to carry a hammer gun over striker fired as I like to de-cock the hammer. My hammer guns are all too big or uncomfortable for carry. I do like to have a round in the chamber but I really don't like the idea of a cocked striker. For this reason (I know I'm going to get some flack for this one) I like to use the thumb safety. I have other firearms I would much rather carry but I carry the Shield for comfort.

Last edited:
I have noticed I am way more consistent with speed and accuracy with an added WML on my G19...
Define "speed". If you're talking about pulling the trigger about as fast as you can move your finger, then I get it - the light adds weight and reduces muzzle rise. That's not shooting for accuracy though...

When it comes to accuracy, why would a light make any difference?

As far as your question goes, it depends. I don't like AIWB with a G21 and a light on it - too uncomfortable so I never do it. My LCR, on the other hand, is so comfortable that even if I really don't feel like carrying I can stick it in my pocket and it's nice and easy. The in-between solution when I don't need deep concealment is a G19. Like I said, it depends. If your setup is so uncomfortable that you're going to leave the gun at home, then it doesn't really matter how fast or accurate you are, now does it?

Bottom line: ditch the light if it's uncomfortable. Train more.

Getting the LCP II means I am now carrying on every incidental type trip.

Do you carry the LCPII with one in the pipe? I carry an LCPII too but have to admit it is a little disconcerting that it is SAO and no safety (other than the trigger safety). Once in a while, and depending on where I am, I’ll carry with an empty pipe since it is easy enough to rack but I know this is not right.

When I carry, I carry my least liked, cheapest firearm. My M&P Shield .40. I chose this because it shoots well, it's small, compact and somewhat light (not as light as my E series .45). I would prefer to carry a hammer fired over striker fired as I like to de-cock the hammer. My hammer guns are all too big or uncomfortable for carry. I do like to have a round in the chamber but I really don't like the idea of a cocked striker. For this reason (I know I'm going to get some flack for this one) I like to use the thumb safety. I have other firearms I would much rather carry but I carry the Shield for comfort.

The Springfield XDE is slightly larger than the Shield and is a single stack hammer fired semi w/ a decocker., 8 or 9 round mags I decided to go appendix carry during the Summer for concealabilty but there was no way I was going to have a striker fire gun pointing at my junk, particularly in the car w seatbelt on. The XDE is quite shootable, particularly in SA but also very manageable in DA. I love my Shield but haven’t carried it since I got the XDE. I also carry a SIG p938 pocket or ankle carry at work (I tuck in the shirt at work) until it’s cold enough to wear a vest or sweater and then I carry either the Shield or XDE. On weekends or whenever I can wear an untucked cover garment it’s XDE appendix. I just really prefer having the gun in front of me unless it’s on a long car ride or will be sitting for a long time. The XDE is only around $500. If you like the Shield but want hammer fired decocker, take a look at the XDE, it’s MA compliant so easily available. .

Last edited:
I currently carry my Colt commander in a cross draw or chest carrier depending on my activity. For many years I was carrying a S&W 640 in 357 which I really enjoyed carrying.
But when my son turned 21 1/2 (took 6 months for the LTC) he was overly indecisive about a carry pistol.
LC9? He is a Ruger guy.
S&W shield? Endless great reviews
Probably his favorite pistol is the Ruger Blackhawk in 41 mag but with a 6" barrel it's not comfortable for CC.
So being a good dad I loaned him my 640 to try out. I see him a couple weeks later and I ask how he's liking the Smith. Well he likes it enough that he bought a kydex holster and matching belt. I say gee son, thats awful nice of you but I don't think the belt is going to fit me.
So now I walk around with the big iron on my hip wondering what the best CC pistol for me will be. Go with what I had or try something new?
S&W Governor? Sounds like fun!
R51? Everybody hates it but it sure is purdy.
Walther PPK? Good enough for 007.
Life is full of tough decisions.

Yup, Uncle Sam taught me too, but today, a 3" Kimber works well for me, or if it's a shorts and t shirt day, a flawless running Sig 938 works well, so I guess you could call it comfort, but their both comforting too. Oh, and as a last resort, there's always a freedom arms, 22 mag. revolver in the pocket, you know, just cuz.

summer g42 because of clothing (though i might try a sig 365 soon) , and i can shoot it well, the rest of the time it is a g19 its my go to gun.

would i love to carry my 1911, sure but the weight is a killer.

It's good enough for the IDF. These guys have their technique rock-solid.

I carry original all-steel Jerichos on the regular. I can't imagine carrying condition 3 with this weapon; about 60% of the slide slide is beveled and slick-sided, and has almost nothing to grab on to. There's only serrations and full slide width on the last inch or so, and much of that serrated area is taken up by the decocker/safety. My compact is a non-decocker model with a frame safety and is much more user friendly but still... I don't do Israeli-carry anyway but no number of malfunction drills would make me as confident doing so as with almost any other pistol.

in todays world, mass shootings, civil unrest, etc, carrying anything smaller than a compact (G19) is not in my vocabulary. i want a gun that i can deal with multiple dudes with out to 50+ yards. pocket pistols are useless and gay for anything beyond getting robbed at the gas pump.

unless you are in a bad NPE, if you cant conceal a glock 19 and spare mags comfortably, you need to research holsters a little better.

in todays world, mass shootings, civil unrest, etc, carrying anything smaller than a compact (G19) is not in my vocabulary. i want a gun that i can deal with multiple dudes with out to 50+ yards. pocket pistols are useless and gay for anything beyond getting robbed at the gas pump.

unless you are in a bad NPE, if you cant conceal a glock 19 and spare mags comfortably, you need to research holsters a little better.
I've shot my pocket gun out to 50 yards (and my Glock to 100). Sucks to suck I guess.

If its not comfortable, you will want to skip carrying it.
If you can't shoot it well, whats the point of tugging it around?
Compromise is the answer to the question.
I have had good luck with the 9mm shield. I can carry it very comfortable and i enjoy shooting it and do so well.
I got a 229 with intent to carry it in the winter. The thing is a brick, i don't see myself carrying it concealed. I should have went with the 226 so it would be more fun at the range.

If its not comfortable, you will want to skip carrying it.
If you can't shoot it well, whats the point of tugging it around?
Compromise is the answer to the question.
I have had good luck with the 9mm shield. I can carry it very comfortable and i enjoy shooting it and do so well.
I got a 229 with intent to carry it in the winter. The thing is a brick, i don't see myself carrying it concealed. I should have went with the 226 so it would be more fun at the range.

^ this I carry a shield , but I have to practice shooting it or I suck with it. I'm so used to shooting my competition guns that
I find I really need to spend more time training on a semi regular basis with it , ..... or it's not even worth carrying.
I may switch over to a compact CZ at some point.

It seems that shootability is low on the list but I believe it should be first. If it's unpleasant to shoot, most people will be unwilling to practice enough.

Back
Top Bottom