• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carry for comfort or shootability?

Carry for comfort or shootability?

• Total voters
It makes me laugh when someone says "I don't want to blow my junk off." about AIWB.

If you have a proper holster there is almost no chance of that happening on its own if you are not actively holstering the gun.

The problem often comes when getting a piece of clothing caught up in the trigger well when reholstering.

If you use a kydex holster with a single clip you can remove it to reholster off the body while pointed away from your junk, and then put on a holstered gun.

Like someone else had mentioned, the gun may not have to come out for weeks, reducing the amount of handling. You also don't have to do mindless press checks to see if your gun is loaded....you know it is loaded because you put it in that way and left it alone. Just check for lint build up once in a while. (see my gun beard thread)

I understand not everyone finds this way comfortable, and some prefer a more robust attachment, but this myth shouldn't stop you from trying to carry that way.

I don't carry at 12 o'clock, but more like 1:30 to 3:00, and the single clip makes it easy to cant and slide it as needed for comfort when sitting.

Glock 43 on the body (concealed)
Glock 17 (Lonewolf actually), nearby. Usually in my knapsack. I have one of those 5.11 bags with a discreet outer bag and I velcroed a kydex holster into it.

Same sights - aftermarket TruGlo, extended slide release and takedown levers, triggers by GlockTrigger.
I shoot them both regularly.

I shoot the 43 in BUG IDPA, the LoneWolf in ESP, and a G17 in SSP. I mostly shoot the G17 in USPSA. Point being, the muscle memories necessary to run my two carry guns are pretty much embedded. I DON'T swap over to any of the other guns in my safe for carry because I don't want to fumble at a critical moment. Everything else is a range toy. Except for the AR's, and .308's. And I play with them on the range too.

When I started shooting I carried a double stack full size, eventually though I found it was just too long. I'd love to swap over to something shorter like a p30, but ended up with a G43 instead. The glock is WAY more comfortable because I can sit with it (AIWB), but I know that either I pull it left or the replacement sights are off.

I know pulling left is common, but everyone I've asked to try it does the same thing and even after a year and a half I'm still doing it. I just don't have enough data to know if it really is me or the sights just suck. For reference, I can hit a small pistol target at 75' with my full size, I'm practically on the edge of the paper at 15' with the 43 and practically have to aim above the left sight post to get in the black.

It makes me laugh when someone says "I don't want to blow my junk off." about AIWB.

If you have a proper holster there is almost no chance of that happening on its own if you are not actively holstering the gun.

The problem often comes when getting a piece of clothing caught up in the trigger well when reholstering.

If you use a kydex holster with a single clip you can remove it to reholster off the body while pointed away from your junk, and then put on a holstered gun.

Like someone else had mentioned, the gun may not have to come out for weeks, reducing the amount of handling. You also don't have to do mindless press checks to see if your gun is loaded....you know it is loaded because you put it in that way and left it alone. Just check for lint build up once in a while. (see my gun beard thread)

I understand not everyone finds this way comfortable, and some prefer a more robust attachment, but this myth shouldn't stop you from trying to carry that way.

I don't carry at 12 o'clock, but more like 1:30 to 3:00, and the single clip makes it easy to cant and slide it as needed for comfort when sitting.
This, all of this - great post.

My G19 in a cheap Galco off Amazon is very comfortable at ~12:30, where as my G21 in a higher-end rig with a claw is not. Then again the 21 is a bigger gun AND I have a light on it. I've found that I don't like claws in general. Point being, you've got to find a setup that's right for you but then AIWB becomes great.

I agree completely that the gun doesn't leave the holster unless I'm grabbing a different holster or I'm at the range. Press check only when loading, that's it. Holster covers the whole trigger guard. Glocks don't go off on their own. I'm not bothered by where the gun is pointing. Also, appendix is by far the best carry method for drawing while seated, especially with a seat belt on in the car. Conceals really well, fast draw...

It can be uncomfortable every day.

It may only need to be drawn once in a lifetime.

So with that, I pocket carry a 380 in comfort.

I marked comfort, but not sure where I really fit.
I had a nice S&W Model 60 that was a good carry gun, but I couldn't hit much with it so I got rid of it for my LC9s - that was supposed to be my Summer gun, and the 1911 would take duty in cooler weather when it was more comfortable to carry. It didn't work out that way - the Ruger became my always gun, because it shoots great for me, carries easy and conceals well. The 1911 is relegated to safe duty as it is almost useless to me now.
When I don't want to carry the Ruger (beach, yardwork, can't for one reason or another) I have a .22 Mag derringer that goes along with me.

No weapon mounted lights for me, either. I did go from a D cell flashlight to a C cell - it seems to swing a little faster and hits with more of a "bang" than the "thump" of the D cell. Still rocking the AA fleshlight though.

The sub category for this is deep concealability vs fast draw. In colder months I wear a lot of dress shirts for work and will go deep concealment with a compression undershirt that has a holster built in under the armpit. Pretty comfortable, but slow on the draw as you have to undo a button or two to get to it. Can't risk a IWB holster being identified, so this is the next best thing. For me anyway.

The sub category for this is deep concealability vs fast draw. In colder months I wear a lot of dress shirts for work and will go deep concealment with a compression undershirt that has a holster built in under the armpit. Pretty comfortable, but slow on the draw as you have to undo a button or two to get to it. Can't risk a IWB holster being identified, so this is the next best thing. For me anyway.
Pocket carry is best for an office environment, imo. I can't dump 20 rounds into a group of terrorists from 50 yards with my pocket gun though :rolleyes:

This, all of this - great post.

My G19 in a cheap Galco off Amazon is very comfortable at ~12:30, where as my G21 in a higher-end rig with a claw is not. Then again the 21 is a bigger gun AND I have a light on it. I've found that I don't like claws in general. Point being, you've got to find a setup that's right for you but then AIWB becomes great.

I agree completely that the gun doesn't leave the holster unless I'm grabbing a different holster or I'm at the range. Press check only when loading, that's it. Holster covers the whole trigger guard. Glocks don't go off on their own. I'm not bothered by where the gun is pointing. Also, appendix is by far the best carry method for drawing while seated, especially with a seat belt on in the car. Conceals really well, fast draw...

I use a good single clip Kydex holster w/ a claw and trigger guard fully covered and I put on/take off the gun while holstered and pretty much follow the exact protocol Opressed laid out. I know Glocks and Shields don't go off on their own but I am still a little worried about the impact of a car accident or if I bend over abruptly or somehow otherwise put extra pressure on the rig. I'm comfortable carrying Appendix and love the advantages; the difference between the Shield and the XDE in terms of size, perfomance & price isn't that great and it gives me just a little extra peace of mind. I also like the XDE because it feels a little better in my hand than the Shield, it has higher mag capacity and it's easy to train w/ a laser cartidge with the hammer fire double action. It is slightly larger and heavier than the Shield but not enough to noticeably affect comfort while AIWB carry.

The Springfield XDE is slightly larger than the Shield and is a single stack hammer fired semi w/ a decocker., 8 or 9 round mags I decided to go appendix carry during the Summer for concealabilty but there was no way I was going to have a striker fire gun pointing at my junk, particularly in the car w seatbelt on. The XDE is quite shootable, particularly in SA but also very manageable in DA. I love my Shield but haven’t carried it since I got the XDE. I also carry a SIG p938 pocket or ankle carry at work (I tuck in the shirt at work) until it’s cold enough to wear a vest or sweater and then I carry either the Shield or XDE. On weekends or whenever I can wear an untucked cover garment it’s XDE appendix. I just really prefer having the gun in front of me unless it’s on a long car ride or will be sitting for a long time. The XDE is only around $500. If you like the Shield but want hammer fired decocker, take a look at the XDE, it’s MA compliant so easily available. .

Haha! yup I agree, round in the chamber with striker fired scares me. I was actually looking at the XDE. That may be my next pistol. I really prefer and feel much more comfortable carrying with the hammer decocked. Cocking the hammer is like 2nd nature. DA for the 1st round wouldn't be an issue either.

Haha! yup I agree, round in the chamber with striker fired scares me. I was actually looking at the XDE. That may be my next pistol. I really prefer and feel much more comfortable carrying with the hammer decocked. Cocking the hammer is like 2nd nature. DA for the 1st round wouldn't be an issue either.

If you feel like taking a trip to the Attleboro area you're welcome to shoot mine. Message me if you like.

Do you carry the LCPII with one in the pipe? I carry an LCPII too but have to admit it is a little disconcerting that it is SAO and no safety (other than the trigger safety). Once in a while, and depending on where I am, I’ll carry with an empty pipe since it is easy enough to rack but I know this is not right.
I do. I'm left handed so none of the guns I carry (the LCP II, Glock, or Sig) have external safeties, just trigger weight and/or trigger within a trigger style.

The holster in the pocket covers the trigger. The trigger, at least on my LCP II, breaks really far back although it's pretty light. I don't see it going off unintentionally unless something goes really badly.

When I started shooting I carried a double stack full size, eventually though I found it was just too long. I'd love to swap over to something shorter like a p30, but ended up with a G43 instead. The glock is WAY more comfortable because I can sit with it (AIWB), but I know that either I pull it left or the replacement sights are off.

I know pulling left is common, but everyone I've asked to try it does the same thing and even after a year and a half I'm still doing it. I just don't have enough data to know if it really is me or the sights just suck. For reference, I can hit a small pistol target at 75' with my full size, I'm practically on the edge of the paper at 15' with the 43 and practically have to aim above the left sight post to get in the black.

Try shooting off a sandbag. It’s a small gun, that’s probably why.

It can be uncomfortable every day.

It may only need to be drawn once in a lifetime.

So with that, I pocket carry a 380 in comfort.

I carry a G42 IWB or sometimes in a pocket holster for the same reason, but if I’m actually going somewhere or doing something where the risk is higher than 1 in a million, I carry my CZ P01.

For Me:
Summer Carry = S&W M&P Bodyguard 380 w/ C.T. Green Laser plus 1 extra magazine.
Rest of the Year = S&W M&P Shield 9mm w/ C.T. Green Laser plus 1 extra magazine.
(year round... add a pocket: flashlight, knife and lighter)

I carry depending on what I am doing and what I think I will encounter. If I'm at the playground with my kid, I'll carry a 360pd. Since its very light and small, it great for running around, going down slides, etc. I'm more likely to have to shoot an aggressive dog than a person, so I feel good with 5 rounds of 357. When I'm out in crowds or stores, I carry a 1911. I'm down on round count but 1911s points where I look, so I'm comfortable with making fast, accurate shots without needing to rely on the sights.

I think carrying is a compromise no matter what. If I wanted pure shootibility, I would carry a rifle.

I carry depending on what I am doing and what I think I will encounter. If I'm at the playground with my kid, I'll carry a 360pd. Since its very light and small, it great for running around, going down slides, etc. I'm more likely to have to shoot an aggressive dog than a person, so I feel good with 5 rounds of 357. When I'm out in crowds or stores, I carry a 1911. I'm down on round count but 1911s points where I look, so I'm comfortable with making fast, accurate shots without needing to rely on the sights.

I think carrying is a compromise no matter what. If I wanted pure shootibility, I would carry a rifle.
What do you think of 38+p in the 360pd?

What do you think of 38+p in the 360pd?

I haven't tried 38+p in the 360. I figured if it can handle .357 and I can take the recoil, then I'll stick with .357. Recoil is harsh, no doubt about that. If I had problems with .357, I wouldn't be to worried about using .38+p.

I shot +P in a 642 and liked it, for some reason I liked it better than standard .38.

If you can dress to carry OWB, you can pretty much carry anything. And I do. If I can wear a pair of jeans and an untucked button down, which I can 8 months of the year, I carry a full size 1911 or a 229 in .40.
I skip the belt loop at 3:00 and I can slide the holster to the rear when driving, forward for concealment. It is very comfortable as long as you have a very good belt. I am pretty wide through the shoulders, so the drape of the shirt eliminates printing.
When it is super hot or deep concealment if required, I have a simple IWB holster, or pocket carry a PM9. It is surprisingly accurate and I really like it because it is not 380. I still like OWB more.
I really like carrying in a shoulder rig as well. I always carry an extra magazine, but with a shoulder holster, I carry 2, and this is good.

I’ve AIWB carried a glock 30 in a 508 kydex holster for over 4 years now daily without issue always carry a 13rd backup mag in my left pocket. I’m comfortable shooting it accurately out to 25-30yrd rapid draw which I’m good with for personal defense. If I have to dress up for what ever reason I sometimes go with my shield .45 pocket carry but am not as comfortable shooting that so I like to stick to my 30.

Most days I totally forget that it’s there honestly and I’ve never been worried about “blowing my junk off” because I holster before attaching it to my belt in the morning and it doesn’t come out again until the end of the day unless I’m going to the range and then I only draw from the holster and remove to reholster.

I don’t think you need to sacrifice to much comfort for shootability because as so many have mentioned there is like 90 holster options for whatever your flavor CC is so it’s just a matter of trying combinations.

I'm carrying a G34 with a Dawson mag extension. 22+1. Mostly because I intentionally live in a place where hiding your gun isn't necessary.
Even in MA, I carry similarly. G34 with TLR1HL. Mags all have TTi +5/6 extensions. If I'm trying to make a point to some of my "on the fence" friends about how oblivious most people are, I'll swap my spare mags for OEM 33rd mags. It's either that, or the G19 (and occasionally a G43 at work if I am rushing and don't feel like locking it up either in the car safe or a lockbox I keep in the office.

I typically have two carry modes depending on how discreet I need to be.

1) Deep Cover mode= Kahr PM9 (tiny, single stack 9mm) in a pocket holster for work, family gatherings or any other situation where its imperative to not be outed. Work has a no weapons policy, so Id be shit-canned if I was printing in front of the right person. As far as family is concerned, I just dont want to deal with explaining to some of them why I feel the need to be packing at the table on Thanksgiving.

Physically comfortable to the point of forgetting its there. Confident that Ill probably never be outed. Downside is its awkward and slow getting my hand inside my pocket, getting a grip and drawing smoothly. Also has a long trigger pull which is totally different than my other carry gun. Bad enough in a standing position, but Id hate to have to draw while seated in a vehicle with a seatbelt on.
So basically its a compromise between carrying how I want and likely getting fired eventually and carrying in a less than ideal mode and keeping my job. Not carrying isnt really an option. I dont spend all day expecting to be murdered, but after carrying for a while it feels funny not to be.

2) Normal mode= Glock19, no light, IWB for everywhere else. Learned all the basics like dressing around the gun, being mindful of bending, stretching and how to deal with it, going from sitting to standing and how to deal with it and coming to the realization that 99% of the population is oblivious and even if you were open carrying most wouldnt even notice.

Most comfortable for me. Confident in IWB carrying a G19 in the summer with a t-shirt for cover. Shirts are slightly over sized (I never liked tight clothes anyway) and I make sure theyre long enough. Im mindful that when I bend over or stretch upward theres a good chance the gun will be exposed or at least the shirt will get hung up on it so I try to go down on one knee rather than bending over. Stretching is harder to deal with, no easy answer tbh. With anything more than a t-shirt on, it disappears and I pretty much forget about it.

My main concern is carrying two different guns with two different triggers in two different positions. My nightmare scenario is instinctively reaching back to 4 o'clock with a gun in my front pocket. I think if someone carries something long enough, it becomes second nature and the comfort issue goes away. Physical comfort isnt an issue for me at this point.

Back
Top Bottom