Carry in VT

Actually, with parental consent, there is no age limit under state law.....[smile]

Title 13: Crimes and Criminal Procedure
Chapter 85: Weapons
4008. Possession of firearms by children

§ 4008. Possession of firearms by children

A child under the age of sixteen years shall not, without the consent of his parents or guardian, have in his possession or control a pistol or revolver constructed or designed for the use of gunpowder or other explosive substance with leaden ball or shot. A child who violates a provision of this section shall be deemed a delinquent child under the provisions of chapter 55 of Title 33.

Actually, with parental consent, there is no age limit under state law.....[smile]

Very true. And if you look at the related 'furnishing' law, the punishment for giving a minor a firearm without parental consent is... wait for it... a $10-$50 fine. Course, the kid can be sent to Juvie for it, but the adult isn't really in much trouble. Though I have no doubt if the kid goes and hurts or kills someone, the adult could be brought up on negligence or accessory charges, etc. Sorta like it should be.

Title 13: Crimes and Criminal Procedure
Chapter 85: Weapons
4008. Possession of firearms by children

§ 4008. Possession of firearms by children

A child under the age of sixteen years shall not, without the consent of his parents or guardian, have in his possession or control a pistol or revolver constructed or designed for the use of gunpowder or other explosive substance with leaden ball or shot. A child who violates a provision of this section shall be deemed a delinquent child under the provisions of chapter 55 of Title 33.

Soo.....anyone else see this lawyer's wet dream right here? "His bullets weren't made of lead, Your Honor, no crime was committed."

Soo.....anyone else see this lawyer's wet dream right here? "His bullets weren't made of lead, Your Honor, no crime was committed."

You'd have to show that not only were the bullets not lead, but that the gun was not constructed or designed for use with lead bullets. So airsoft, fine defense. But anything that uses an explosive to discharge a bullet out of a metal barrel? Good luck.

You'd have to show that not only were the bullets not lead, but that the gun was not constructed or designed for use with lead bullets. So airsoft, fine defense. But anything that uses an explosive to discharge a bullet out of a metal barrel? Good luck.

You're not a very good lawyer, are you?

Irrelevant. He might happen to know how the courts work up here.

Trust me, you give the wrong person a firearm, especially a minor, and they screw up, I'll wager they can make "reckless endangerment" stick. Actually, it;s a good thing. See, reckless endangerment is why we don't have carry laws. No real crime is committed until you draw at the wrong time anyways, so make THAT the prohibited behavior.

You're not a very good lawyer, are you?

I"m not a lawyer at all. But if you think you could convince a juvenile court judge that a gun wasn't a gun because the law says "leaded" bullets and the juvenile had no lead bullets in his possession, you're smoking something.

No real crime is committed until you draw at the wrong time anyways, so make THAT the prohibited behavior.

Why in the world some other states, who shall remain nameless ([wink]), can't figure this simple concept out is beyond me.

I"m not a lawyer at all. But if you think you could convince a juvenile court judge that a gun wasn't a gun because the law says "leaded" bullets and the juvenile had no lead bullets in his possession, you're smoking something.
QUOTE]

Look at the OJ trial. It could be done.

Why?

Because even our Liberals are armed up here. NOBODY would stand for a draconian gun law in VT. It's a sure kiss of "death" to a politician's career to even suggest it (unless you're the mayor of Burlington, and he'll never move to Governor).

Ask a Vermonter over 40 about Peter Smith or Althea Kroger.

My dad wants me to be able to carry my .22 pistol on me when we are out hunting. I am 16. So i can carry as long as I have his permission. Is there any paperwork that proves I have his permission or does he just have to go where ever I go?

As Jdubois has tried illustrate this to you but for some reason it does not seem to sink in. [thinking] Constructed or Designed are the qualifying terms here, not leaden.

constructed or designed for the use of gunpowder or other explosive substance with leaden ball or shot.

It does not say, it is not a firearm if one does not use lead bullets in it.

It does say, it is not a firearm if it was not constructed or designed to shoot leaden bullets propelled by gunpowder or other explosive substance.

For example a paintball gun is not a firearm because it was not designed to shoot leadened bullets and it does not use an explosive substance or gunpowder to launch the intended projectile.

However a shotgun shooting copper solid sabot slugs is still a firearm according to this definition because it was constructed or designed to shoot leaden projectiles (shot and slugs) that are launched using gunpowder or other explosive substance.

Last edited:
Hey all, can I just get some clarification. I'm going to be traveling from Mass, through NH and up to Waterbury, VT. I want to bring my guns to shoot. I also may want to CC. Am I able to lawfully conceal carry in VT even though I am not a resident? I just want to be very clear. Thanks!

Am I able to lawfully conceal carry in VT even though I am not a resident?

Can lawfully own the gun

Have identification

Note, no loaded rifles or shotguns in a vehicle. Handguns can be loaded (Fish and Game law)

There is NO VT law that allows CCW. There also is no law that prohibits it.

Apply common sense.

The bottom line? YES!

Can lawfully own the gun

Have identification

Note, no loaded rifles or shotguns in a vehicle. Handguns can be loaded (Fish and Game law)

There is NO VT law that allows CCW. There also is no law that prohibits it.

Apply common sense.

The bottom line? YES!

Absolutely. Thank you Nickle!

Soooo. sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I have a question. My g/f who is a resident alien of MA residence, is going to VT for a week. she wants to take her fav. pistol from my collection to carry while she's up there, she is currently 20 years old.

to my understanding, she should be fine, correct?

She can NOT have possession of any pistol while in any part of MA!

As to VT, I know that any citizen can CCW (or OC per law) but you should check their website wrt aliens. I know that some states (beyond MA) prohibit legal aliens from possessing handguns.

Check here: http://www.atg.state.vt.us/issues/gun-laws.php

She also needs to check wrt any age requirement in VT. Some states allow possession of handguns at 18, others only at 21.

hmm, looked in VT Title 13: Crimes and Criminal Procedure:Chapter 85: Weapons and didn't see anything about resident aliens, and looked like 16 was the low end of the carry age.

just figured i'd run it by the strong legal minds of NES before giving her the go ahead and letting her borrow it once we got up there.

Very simple. Take the damn gun and carry it. VT is not MA. VT is a free state and the MA assine rules do not apply.

Aliens? You've got to be kidding! Anyone can carry in VT. Even people from MA.

Back
Top Bottom