Carrying a knife: suggestions?

Whoa, that's way too complicated. Stick to a traditional edged blade and then "invest" in one of these sharpeners:

http://www.ccrane.com/more-categories/kitchen-accessories/accusharp-knife-tool-sharpener.aspx

-Cuz.

Those kind of sharpeners tears up blades, they take off way to much material

With the Spyderco, you can sharpen serrated blades, sharpen at different angles depending on what the knife will be used for, You can do scissors.
The ceramic stones come in corse, fine and extra fine, plus you can get diamond stones to reprofile the edge.

I can take a dull blade that won't cut paper to being able to cut a hanging hair in a few minutes with the spyderco

If you have a bunch of boxes to cut, then use a utility knife, but to carry around 2 knives and never use one is silly. Factory sharp is nice, but why not have the knowledge and the ability to put a better edge on the knife.

What do you do when the cheap $10 knife is dull.... buy another one?

Careful Bud, I carry three and usually only use 2 of them. Using the term "Silly" can be inflamatory. (but I forgive ya [grin])

My defense knife is never compromised by work. My Leatherman wave is worth it's weight in gold for me. Third is a Swiss Army knife that has been resharpened so many times it isn't funny.

I feel that different types of knives have different uses. I have some high end folders that will never see the type of work I use the Leatherman or the Swiss Army for. For sharpening, I have oil stones, a diamond stone, a power diamond stone, and an abrasive stick. Sharpening is easy. Getting a good edge on some of these hard steels that will last is not easy.

I have knives from Benchmade, Spyderco, Master's of Defense, Buck, Kershaw, and even one from Katz. All can be used for various things, but not the same things.

Having seen the postings of our resident knife maker from NH, I hope to have him make me a good work knife some day. http://www.schottknives.com/

Last edited:
Me: Benchmade Mike Snody Resistor, bout a hundred bucks/
DCP_3148.jpg

Be careful. In some juristictions you can get in a lot of trouble carrying a knife. The city of Lynn comes to mind.

Anyone found in Lawrence carrying a knife with a blade longer than 2 1/2 inches is subject to arrest and a fine of $100 to $300. Under the city ordinance, which was passed last week and will take affect next month, it is still legal to carry a knife to hunt, fish, or conduct work.
SNIP
Peabody, Lynn, Salem, and other cities have similar ordinances. In Salem, police said the bylaw was enacted more than 10 years ago.

''We enforce it heavily," said Salem police Lieutenant Conrad Prosniewski. ''Anyone who gets caught carrying a knife with more than a 2 1/2-inch blade does get charged. I see it in court two, three times a week."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ar...es_to_cut_crime_with_city_ban_on_long_knives/

By my measurements, both blades on a Leatherman Wave are over 2.5" long (if one measures just the honed portion). From tip to ricasso is longer. Why not just enact a curfew and get it over with?

Personally, I agree with RGS that certain knives get certain uses. On the other hand, I do not believe in paying big $s for a tool that may be pressed into all types of service, lost easily, broken, or whatever. I tend to use the S&W family, which provide good service and will not cause me to be upset if I must replace it.

I suggest that anyone who carries a firearm also carry:
- a knife
- pepper spray
- a flashlight

These tools give you a variety of responses to a threat, so that the response may be proportional.

Last edited:
Be Careful whats in your pocket

"Once upon a time somewhere in the mid-west there was a very pretty young girl who loved to go on dates. The dates usually consisted of dancing or a movie, what ever was going on in town that night. One rule she had was that the young men calling on her did not bring flowers but instead brought a pocket knife of some sort. Some of the young men thought this a bit odd but for the company of a young lady it was not that odd. Her reputation began to grow and soon she had men from all over asking her for a date and bringing better knives to one up the last fellow. They would all ask her, but she never told the reason for the strange request. She never carried a knife on her so that was not the reason. She merely threw them in a box and packed them away. She did not seem to hold any fascination at all with knives. She had several proposals but had refused them all, she liked dating different men and did not want to get married, it seems all the married men she knew had given up dancing and going to the movies after they were married. One day a crowd outside the barber shop had gotten into a discussion about the "knife" lady and her reasons for hoarding knives. Many opinions were exchanged on that bench that day. Just when the discussion was getting heated an old-timer happened by and heard the remarks. He started laughing at all the silly thoughts which made the others kind of angry. One of the fellows said to him "If you are so smart, why don’t you tell us all why she keeps all those knives?" The old timer scratched his head for a moment and said to the crowd, "Someday she will not be young and pretty right fellows? Well then, remember this, a 16 year old boy will do just about anything for a good knife!"

I recently bought a couple of these folding clip mini paraframe knives. ($19 at Lowes) Really sharp! The first one lasted about 2 days and the clip fell my pocket walking thru logan airpot at the terminal. (I picked it up, brushed it of, put it back and then the next day it fell off again. Its lost) The second knife found a comphy home in my pocket where it brutally attacked my Blackberry Cellophone and won. It then attacked my finger as I was reaching in to get a coin; the cutaway fram allows the offending fingerto become inserted beween the blade and then the knife does its job. Blood on the Blackberry.[frown]

8484.gif

So; Its back to a solid frame folding knife like the BUCK. Works really well and has seen years of service.

Be Careful whats in your pocket

I've been thinking I need to add a knife to my daily array stuff in my pockets. I'm thinking some type of folder suitable for defense, but not too big.

I'm looking for suggestions on:
1) Features to look for/avoid? I'm thinking ambidextrous operation is a must.
2) Are assisted opening knives considered "switchblades"?
3) Practical method of discrete carry. I want access with either hand if one had is tied up.
4) Brands to consider. I've been looking at Columbia River (http://www.crkt.com/) but I'm sure there are others worthy of consideration.
5) Local vendors where I can get my paws on some quality equipment to try it out.

I'll reserve training for another thread in the future.

TIA, Matt
i like a neck kife; always ready, totally hidden. my favorite is a microteck manus with the serrated egde, very thin with klydex sheath. can be adapted to belt carry. you can find them around on the web for between $80-$90 at best. tops and entrek also make belt, neck versions for a reasonable price. folders are nice, but concealable 2" to 4" fixed blades are always ready.

I've also caried at least one knife nearly every day of my life for the past 45 years. I've come to appreciate a few qualities in that knife:
Pocket clip
One hand opening (blade stud or asssited)
Half serrated blade
Slim for easy concealment
Lock blade
2 1/2 to 3 " blade
And I always carry pivot down so when I draw it, it's in my hand in the proper orientation automatically, and I always carry it stong handed.

+1 for the Spyderco Delica w/non-serrated edge. This is a knife Michael DeBethancourt recommends in his knife class for a variety of reasons:

-small blade size doesn't look wicked
-straight blade easy to sharpen
-easy to open
-triangular blade shape stabs easy and less likely to get stuck
-inexpensive if confiscated
-handle easy to grip if wet
-clip is reversible for off-side carry (which he recommends)

+1 on the Spydercos. Their format is all I carry. Spydies are very fast once you train your thumb to flick it properly. Faster out of the pocket (especially clipped tip up) than the Kershaw or other assisteds. Plus if you want true ambi you need a lock back not a liner lock. You can open a liner with either hand but not easily close it with either.

If their price is too much for you try the Byrd line (made by Spyderco but in China). Quality is pretty good. Value is great. Most of them are about $20. At that price they are very versatile.

The Meadowlark is very similar to the Spyderco Delica. And for those you like a smaller, in the pocket knife, the Robin is very similar to the Dragonfly. I've got a few of both. Keep the clips off the Robins to carry in pocket.

i prefer Spyderco's over other knifes because most of their models are thinner
and profile less than others.i also have found for me the thumb hole design is quicker than a thumb stud,this is just me though.
i currently carry an endura model which is the big brother to the delica in a serrated blade.only reason for a serrated blade is i cut alot of fiberous materials on a daliy basis.if i needed to use it for defense i wouldnt have a problem using it.it will make on hell of a jagged hole in something that isnt going to close up to easily.i should note i also carry a smaller Spyderco knife in my weak side pocket that is plain edge for other task and a back up.
i also prefer tip up carry,this way when i open the blade it is pionted down ready for action whatever way i plan to use it.i have never caught my hand or pants on the blade this way either.

I carry a little Kershaw Chive and I cut open boxes and bags all day long. It's always in my pocket. It goes dull fast like most knives, but I strop it every day on a dry piece of cardboard and it goes back to factory sharp in less than a minute. I can still shave hair from my arm with it after stropping.
Most knives can be flicked opened with one hand without the finger stud.

Banning of knives pisses me off as much as the banning of firearms. Knives are a tool central to our development as humans. In conclusion, the libertard asshats who would rather be killed by a 2.5 inch blade than a 3 inch should all move to the UK. [smile] [angry]

Anyway, that said, I like my CRKT knives. Inexpensive, decent quality, haven;t had a problem yet. I also have to say Gerber customer service is very good. OTOH I have needed them two times.

also a fan of Benchmade.

I've seen some very nice knives, but unless your buying custom I can't see some of the very high price tags.

CRKT "Urban Shark" (Lightfoot). http://216.71.158.68/webcat/crkturbansharksmall.shtml

Ambidextrous blade stud; good liner lock; 2-3/8" blade (legal everywhere); matte finish SS blade and alloy handle; study pocket clip (which is replaceable, if necessary, as held on by three small Torx screws); extremely light (so much so you tend to forget you have it, which can be a problem sometimes).

If carried inside left ankle, is totally invisible and available to either hand from virtually any position, including if hands bound front or back. (Get a length of velcro from HD; have Mrs. sew something soft on the inside; wrap around ankle and put knife inside the band, using pocket clip; cover with sock.) If you switch to boots, just don't forget to take off the knife and clip it to the inside of the left boot upper.

Buy a standard Swiss Army knife and be done with it. Can opener, bottle opener, blade and screwdriver. I prefer the phillips head attachment over the corkscrew. That's all you need.

I have a Gerber, love it, carry it everyday like my cell phone. I agree with some of the other post and it took me 3 knives to figure it out. The clip has to be on the tip end of the blade. so in a fast withdrawl situation shee's pointed in the right direction. I also like a black knife, not flashing stainless or anything. I even took off the clip and sprayed it black so when out at night it isn't so noticable, to people who may be looking for it.

I have a Gerber, love it, carry it everyday like my cell phone. I agree with some of the other post and it took me 3 knives to figure it out. The clip has to be on the tip end of the blade. so in a fast withdrawl situation shee's pointed in the right direction. I also like a black knife, not flashing stainless or anything. I even took off the clip and sprayed it black so when out at night it isn't so noticable, to people who may be looking for it.

I've got the Gerber Mini-Covert in all black. Partial serration makes it very handy for use at work opening up strapping on boxes.

I used to have a Spyderco Delica, but didn't like them after they changed them. I now carry a Benchmade AFCK. I also like the Ken Onion or is it Kershaw? I think even Walmart has these.

For self defense?? I want that blade to be as sharp as possible and I'm not gonna go risk getting it dull by using it to cut boxes. With training a knife can be very, very effective.

I use mine almost every day. I cut boxes, steak, leather, rubber, roots, etc. I also sharpen it frequently. Using it IS my training. I am quite familiar with how this knife feels, acts, cuts, drops, grips, etc. . I do almost everything with that sucker with me and feel like something is wrong when I don't have it. By the way, Benchmade will sharpen it for free as part of their Lifesharp program. You only pay for shipping. Sometimes this includes a "tuneup" as well.

nope, Id rather keep it factory sharp rather than spend $75 on a sharpener when I can get a cheap folder for like $10 at the army navy store for cutting boxes and crap.

I cut the backs of all my fingers when a cheap lockback failed on me and closed on me. Never will I use a cheap knife again if I can help it.

I carry my own knives. I dont deal with production knives. Small fixed blades in pocket sheaths are my EDC. 1095 or 1084 with differential heat treating. Usually micarta or G10 handles for daily beaters. True convex edge geometry or zero ground if just a slicer.

If i do carry a folder, its a Camillus Cuda Prototype that i reprofiled the blade geometry completely and replaced some of the internals on.
cuda1.jpg

Benchmade 940 Osborne with modified tanto blade and Axis locking mechanism. The best everyday carry knife available at any price. Oh, expect to pay around $165.00 if you can find one.
The AFCK with tool steel and axis lock was at least $40 less than that back when I got it. The Spyderco Native looks nice now too. Also, the best bang for the buck might be the Benchmade Griptilian series, sometimes available from distributors for a REAL good deal!

Back
Top Bottom