• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

carrying in a bank...

Yes, concealed means concealed. Yes, I know signage in Mass doesn't have the weight of law. What's the federal and/or state LAW? It's honestly a pita to put the thing in the lockbox if I don't have to. I know the folks at my local branch well, have talked to a couple (one noticed my "Martha card" one day) so I know they know... Citations would be nice if possible...

There isn't one. On either front.

If a bank ever posted signage though I'd close my accounts there and that would be the end of that. That's just insulting on more than one level. "Hey keep your assets here, but we don't give a shit if you get robbed/killed coming to and from our bank." It takes a special kind of *******, to think that banning (or I should say, trying to ban, as the signage in many places doesn't mean much legally) concealed carry at a BANK, is a good idea.

-Mike

Last edited:
Ive carried in a bank before and no one noticed because concealed means concealed

also i hardly ever go into the bank, drive through teller or atm. Havent had to sign anything in a while.

What about this?

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter266/Section120

Section 120. Whoever, without right enters or remains in or upon the dwelling house, buildings, boats or improved or enclosed land, wharf, or pier of another, or enters or remains in a school bus, as defined in section 1 of chapter 90, after having been forbidden so to do by the person who has lawful control of said premises, whether directly or by notice posted thereon, or in violation of a court order pursuant to section thirty-four B of chapter two hundred and eight or section three or four of chapter two hundred and nine A, shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars or by imprisonment for not more than thirty days or both such fine and imprisonment. Proof that a court has given notice of such a court order to the alleged offender shall be prima facie evidence that the notice requirement of this section has been met. A person who is found committing such trespass may be arrested by a sheriff, deputy sheriff, constable or police officer and kept in custody in a convenient place, not more than twenty-four hours, Sunday excepted, until a complaint can be made against him for the offence, and he be taken upon a warrant issued upon such complaint.

This section shall not apply to tenants or occupants of residential premises who, having rightfully entered said premises at the commencement of the tenancy or occupancy, remain therein after such tenancy or occupancy has been or is alleged to have been terminated. The owner or landlord of said premises may recover possession thereof only through appropriate civil proceedings.

No guns, no money

Check this - "no guns, no money" cards:

Free "No Guns, No Money" Cards

NoGunsNoMoney-Variety.gif

GoodCents.png

trespass, not legally binding no-weapons signs. very different shit, amigo.
I'm not a lawyer, but I think it's open to interpretation. Handgunlaw.us thinks signage has the force of law.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/massachusetts.pdf

I think the relevant phrases are "enters or remains in... after having been forbidden so to do by the person who has lawful control of said premises, whether directly or by notice posted thereon, ..." (emphasis added).

It is certainly worth investigating. I wonder if there are any cases?

Last edited:
I'm not a lawyer, but I think it's open to interpretation. Handgunlaw.us thinks signage has the force of law.

I think the relevant phrases are "enters or remains in... after having been forbidden so to do by the person who has lawful control of said premises, whether directly or by notice posted thereon, ..." (emphasis added).

if it's on the internet it must be true.

it's not in the MGLs.

There's nothing open to interpretation. There is no binding signage in MA, period.

Bring a dog in a place where its posted that dogs aren't allowed. Leave when told you can't have the dog there. Keep doing it at different places until you actually get criminally charged with trespassing despite leaving immediately at the request of the property owner or their agent. I hope the dog is one that has a long life expectancy to it, because you'll be playing the game for a long time. [laugh]

The gun thing isn't any different, really. Same concept.

-Mike

That was my understanding. I believe Texas is a different story though.

Yes, Texas has PC 30.06. If a bank or other establishment posts signage in accordance with the standards set forth in PC 30.06 (This part is VERY important, if the posted signage does not meet the standard set forth in the law (eg for font size, english AND spanish, proper wording, must be at ALL public entrances to a building!) it is NOT legally valid!!! ) then the signage is legally binding and you could be in direct violation of the law if caught.

-Mike

I used to work at a couple different banks, now I'm at a credit union.
They don't let me carry :-(

Concealed means concealed but I know I'll go to reach for something and up comes the shirt, bam lose my job.
Yes I've been robbed once and have been present for multiple robberies. None showed any weapons.

The one time the guy came in with a gun, I wasn't working that day. (it was in reading)

There are numerous inaccuracies in websites such as that, I've found a number to the point I only use it for a cute map and for links to official state websites.

As to your quoted law . . . good luck getting any LEO to make an arrest based on a sign and that law. In my experience as a PT LEO and FT Constable (over 30 years total) I can tell you that it will not happen. MA LE demands that a personal "letter of dis-invite" be served on anyone before they will act and arrest on sight for trespassing. I've served a number of these over the years (and I also have to serve a copy with the Return Affidavit to the PD so they have a complete record that service was made in accordance with MA Rules of Civil Procedure) and had this discussion with various LEOs to get clarity. First time a client called me to serve a "letter of dis-invite" I was like "what's that?" as I always knew it as a "trespass notice", so I made some calls to get clarity (same thing, new fancy terminology).

ETA: When I lived in CT our apartment complex was posted (no trespassing/no solicitations) and we had problems with solicitors, so I made inquiry to the local PD and they told me that they wouldn't act on merely a sign either. So this isn't a unique to MA situation.

Last edited:
4:30. Bring the largest capacity gun you've got, a dozen spare mags and two BUG's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for signs to have the weight of law, nor admonishing anyone for carrying on such posted premises. I just looked it up when I saw this thread, that's all. I would like to avoid getting into technical jeopardy carrying. I've now found that this thread topic comes up on this site every couple of years, same results - and same posters, too!

Carry on.

There's nothing open to interpretation. There is no binding signage in MA, period.

Bring a dog in a place where its posted that dogs aren't allowed. Leave when told you can't have the dog there. Keep doing it at different places until you actually get criminally charged with trespassing despite leaving immediately at the request of the property owner or their agent. I hope the dog is one that has a long life expectancy to it, because you'll be playing the game for a long time. [laugh]

The gun thing isn't any different, really. Same concept.

-Mike

If you want to really piss them off don't leave. Tell them that your dog is a service dog. They require no licensing or special collar or harness to identify them as a service dog. It is also illegal for them to ask what service the dog provides or to ask for any kind of proof that they are a service dog. As long as your dog is well behaved and isn't causing problems they can't even legally ask you to leave. If you dog is going nuts and barking at people etc then they can ask you to leave...

As for banks, I routinely carry in my bank and often times I OC just because I think the look on the unarmed security guard's face is priceless...

Back
Top Bottom