• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying in the woods - caliber choice with various round counts

Hiking and hunting in the woods from PA to Maine what would you recommend for carry...

A gun with:

5 rounds of 357
7 rounds of 40
15 rounds of 9mm

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

One that was compliant in each state and that your able to cc legally. Im guessing youre carrying for basic self defense so a 9mm would be fine IMHO

Whichever one you want to carry - the lightest & smallest one, I'd assume. The most common threat out there is still people, not critters. It may be that 357 would be considered a hunting legal caliber in some of those states, which might be an advantage of that particular pistol. I'm not versed enough in state hunting regs to guess which.

I hike into a lot of the same woods that you mention and many states out west. I typically do 3 or 4 days at a time on these treks. In the east realistically your biggest threat in the woods are wild dogs and maybe a springtime bear with a cub. Certainly people I suppose but any caliber is pretty effective on them. I figure prepare for the worst, otherwise you risk dying. 9mm and 40 are best left at home. Take your 357.

Now, what I recommend is a good guide gun and they are pretty easy to pack. In the east I don't pack the guide gun but carry a SW 629 VComp in 44. I also have a Ruger Alaskan in 44, but I prefer the 629. Buy a guide rig because you do not want these guns hanging off your belt, you will curse that mistake. I have one from a company called double diamond or double d or something like that or find a good leather worker to make you a custom rig.

The 629

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57896_757896_757896_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

For less money but a nice revolver, the Ruger alaskan, (get the 480 Ruger, the unfluted cylinder is horny)

http://www.ruger.com/products/superRedhawkAlaskan/models.html

Can't CC while hunting in PA unless its a hunting caliber (.357 , .44 mag etc.) Stupid rule and many hunters down there don't care about the rules though

Personally, I would go for power over quantity. Figure on what enemy will you be facing? Another human or a bear would be the worst. .357 would just be enough for a bear if you shoot with precision. Human? Anything you hit with that round on their body close-up will stop them.

Keep in mind, however, that you'll be carrying through two of the worst NE states: NY and MA. Mass will issue you a non-res permit but you have to go to Chelsea, MA to get it and jump through all kinds of hoops. NY? Fogetaboutit. Now, concealed carry is concealed carry, I get that. Walking over many days and nights through rolling terrain will be problematic . But I would carefully carry through there too in any event. Hundreds and hundreds of hikers go though that trail year-round without a problem. I would be more inclined to make sure that I had something to fall back on should the need arise, however. I'm not going to open carry a revolver or let anyone else know I have it with me. It's none of their business unless you give them cause to think otherwise.

Have fun.

I'm inclined to go with the .357. Most versatility. Remember that you have to comply with a lot of different gun laws from wild to mild. Also too, I believe in Mass there is a law against carrying a handgun larger than .38 (.357) in the field during hunting season (whether hunting or not).

If I were limited to one handgun and and one caliber it would be the .357, hands down. Still the most versatile. The revolver has its virtues as well which have been enumerated many times on this forum.

Gotta be careful with high cap in NY on your way through, for the "less likely to get jammed up" reason I'd probably go with the revolver.

Too much over thinking IMHO. They all go bang and make a hole. Carry whatever you are most proficient with and most likely to put the hole where you want.

Informative thread.

Where lawful to do so, I think the variety of available shells makes the Taurus Judge (pick your flavor) a winner.

It's a great snake gun, and in short range encounters, you're not likely to miss!

Whichever one you want to carry - the lightest & smallest one, I'd assume. The most common threat out there is still people, not critters. It may be that 357 would be considered a hunting legal caliber in some of those states, which might be an advantage of that particular pistol. I'm not versed enough in state hunting regs to guess which.

^^^this...look at the statistics of bear or moose attacks in new england or the area where you're going to be walking in the woods...humans are more dangerous...carry whatever is legal, has the most capacity, you're comfotable with and is not too heavy to lug around

Last edited:
^^^this...look at the statistics of bear or moose attacks in new england or the area where you're going to be walking in the woods...humans are more dangerous...carry whatever is legal, has the most capacity, you're comfotable with and is not too heavy to lug around

especially thru PA, there have been a lot of unsolved murders of hikers.

if it was a long hike, I might go with some super light .22 mag, maybe aluminum/scandium, etc frame, pistol.

I hunt with .44 mag, and let me tell you, a box of that ammo will really weigh you down!

Glock 20 alternating hard casts and uncle teds hollow points. 15+1 of 10mm anything u hit with 16 of those and keeps coming at is a frigging dinosaur and you'd need a howitzer to kill anyway. Around here anyways for those big brownies I'd take a s&w 500

if you end up hungry you'd be better served by a 22LR (eg. ruger 22/45) and some fishing gear.

Informative thread.

Where lawful to do so, I think the variety of available shells makes the Taurus Judge (pick your flavor) a winner.

It's a great snake gun, and in short range encounters, you're not likely to miss!

Watch Hickok45's video on these (I forget if it's the Judge or the Governor, but they're essentially the same). The shot pattern opens WAY up at ranges beyond carjacking distance. His video cured my craving for one. I can't find you a link because YouTube is blocked at work.

As for having to fend off animals I'd go with more rounds since you're more likely to need to scare them off then shoot them. And if you have to shoot them, I'd rather be able to miss more.

Whenever I go into the woods around my area I holster my Glock 17 or 22, outside of some whacko looking to kill I think the worst case scenario possible is encountering a pack of coyotes and thats a stretch. Up North its my Glock 21

I've been carrying a .357 (7-shot) while hiking. That will now be changing after my last two hikes. The cold and snow rendered it useless. Now ignoring the fact that snow and ice got packed into the barrel and trigger guard (butt sliding down a mountain), the hammer and cylinder were partially frozen. I doubt it would have even fired. Switching up to carrying something smaller I can put in a pocket.

My point being, whatever you carry, make sure you are doing so in a manner where it can both be accessible if you need it, but also usable. Don't want to find out it isn't because of rain/mud/snow/ice/etc.

Watch Hickok45's video on these (I forget if it's the Judge or the Governor, but they're essentially the same). The shot pattern opens WAY up at ranges beyond carjacking distance. His video cured my craving for one. I can't find you a link because YouTube is blocked at work.

As for having to fend off animals I'd go with more rounds since you're more likely to need to scare them off then shoot them. And if you have to shoot them, I'd rather be able to miss more.
A friend of mine has a govenor. We were camping last fall he was bragging how awesome it was; he shot a tree at about 8 yards the pellets barely penetrated and were spread about 16" and the two discs were about an inch into the tree. I shot it with a regular 45 and couldn't find the bullet.

A friend of mine has a govenor. We were camping last fall he was bragging how awesome it was; he shot a tree at about 8 yards the pellets barely penetrated and were spread about 16" and the two discs were about an inch into the tree. I shot it with a regular 45 and couldn't find the bullet.
I forget who it was but someone on YouTube did a nice review of them basically they are only effective snake guns. The 45 acp and 45 lc grossly under penetrated out of the barrel. And .410 slugs were too weak too. He said just buy the cci 45 snake round s and save 800 bucks

Do you use special holsters/equipment for carrying while hiking? Also, what liabilities exist if I have to shoot an animal in self defense?

Back
Top Bottom