• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying on boats, ferries, etc.?

Here's a question for you. I'm going to be going on a group trip where a ferry (not Steamship Authority) will be taken from point A to point B, where the group will then spend the day before traveling back via ferry again.

The website of the ferry company didn't mention firearms policies, so I emailed them and they responded that their company policy is no firearms on board. My question is, what are the specific laws about this?

At this point I can either not carry for the entire day, or I can drive to the destination while everyone else takes the ferry. The latter would be less than optimal since my ticket has already been purchased, but that may be the only option if I want to carry. Thanks

Ha Ha...sorry I have to laugh. WHY on earth would you even ask? What commercial entity is going to say, "oh yeah, we love guns, we encourage all passengers to carry"

"their company policy"; yawn.

Why did you even ask?

I'm just trying to make sure that I'm not violating any laws, that's all. :/ I probably should've just come here instead of asking them what their policy is.

I realize that "no guns" signs, policies, etc can usually be taken as a suggestion here (obviously courthouses, post offices etc don't count in that statement), however I just wasn't sure how that would translate to a vessel.

I walked into a hospital the other night to visit someone. Went in through the Emergency Room entrance. Passed a bunch of No smoking signs, passed a No Weapons sign. Passed a security guard at his desk at the entrance, another one at the door. Walked right past a metal detector which was up against the wall. Was in there for a couple of hours. Saw a couple of local cops while I was in there.

Wallet, keys, flashlight, knife, firearm and spare mag - concealed means concealed.

NOT certain but commercial vessels licensed by the USCG may actually have some legal teeth in the no guns allowed policy . . . it might indeed be unlawful without permission from the captain of the ship. I don't know for certain but I'd do some more investigating if I were you and I'd do it on the web not by calling anyone. Try Google for USCG regs for ferries/charter boats.

Don’t ask, don’t tell.
I’m curious, do you contact every place you ever go and ask them about their gun carrying policies? The drug store, supermarket, gas station, bank, etc. must be very tiring trying to keep track of all their policies.

The website of the ferry company didn't mention firearms policies, so I emailed them and they responded that their company policy is no firearms on board.

Dude. You really, really shouldn't have done that.

The answer to that question from most any organization will always be "Hell no!". If you hadn't asked the question and you were somehow discovered, you could have honestly claimed "I didn't know". Now you can't claim ignorance.

Don’t ask, don’t tell.
I’m curious, do you contact every place you ever go and ask them about their gun carrying policies? The drug store, supermarket, gas station, bank, etc. must be very tiring trying to keep track of all their policies.

Some people are trying to make this as though I'm looking for everywhere I go to explicitly tell me that they support me carrying. That's absolutely not the case. I don't call supermarkets or drug stores etc., because I already know what the law is on that. The ONLY reason why I've dug so deep on this is because it's no longer on land and thus the laws regarding what legally can or cannot be taken as a suggestion may not be the same.

Thank you, I think a ton of people have misunderstood the reason why I'm asking. I really appreciate this resource.
It still doesn't mean shit. Concealed is concealed. If they question about a weapon, and find one on you, they can refuse you entry, or ask you to leave via trespassing. It's not a law, it's their policy, so it's not a criminal offense

Concealed means concealed, but I’d still print this and carry a copy with you that may be easily accessible.

Edit: if you choose to carry a copy of this guidance with you, I’d only bring pages 1-5 IMO. The operator is still required to conspicuously post signage in public places in accordance with this guidance. Posted signs suggest personal discretion required.

Page 11 / 38 States:

“Prohibited Weapon means a firearm, knife or other device or substance that is not permitted on board and a vessel or the presence of which is regulated on board a vessel under policy established by the operator under their initiative or pursuant to state or local law.”

Last edited:
It still doesn't mean shit. Concealed is concealed. If they question about a weapon, and find one on you, they can refuse you entry, or ask you to leave via trespassing. It's not a law, it's their policy, so it's not a criminal offense

I obviously wouldn't have a problem complying if that somehow happened. My only concern was if carrying onboard itself was a violation of the law, meaning that if found or searched, I could get in much more trouble than simply being told it was against their company policy. I'll keep reading up, but it sounds like this situation may be pretty much the same as a private store policy on land.

Looks like your good to go unless otherwise notified by the authority in charge. In the future, consider what others have stated about concealed means concealed. No one needs to know what is stuck inside your belt or velcroed to your lower leg.

Some water ways fall under federal laws so you maybe ok. I have an uncle that lives in SoCal and takes his shotgun aboard his boat all the time with no hassles. Just check your state, local and federal laws so you have the knowledge for when and if that a-hole cop tries to wrongfully enlighten you on his version of the law.

Back
Top Bottom