• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Case bulging

So I purchased some extreme penetrator 90gr 380+p from underwood ammo.
It feels super hot.
The cases have what I feel is excessive bulging. What do you guys think?
efc9eb6922c345a7e2dc61575ad7ee1d.jpg

I'm not sure how to comment without some snickering involved. Generally no bulge is a good thing, both in cases and above the waist line.

Something wrong with that case? Looks like it's still in spec to me but I can't always spot subtle issues. I suggest buying a case gauge & checking it. If it's a little out of spec, you might be able to reload anyway if you use a small base die.
[rofl]

On a serious note: Damn! What happened to that thing? Is your chamber OK? Did it go bang out of battery? The last time I saw something that bad it was because someone had shot a .41 magnum in a .44.

smith and Wesson body guard, I have no idea if it's +P rated. Didn't even know there was such a thing as 380 +P

Does the body guard have one of thoe not so well supported case chambers like glocks? what does the SW BG owners manual say about what ammo to use....
I know this might be the wrong question but why bother with 380 +p ?

and at over 1$ a round for that stuff.......WHY

Something wrong with that case? Looks like it's still in spec to me but I can't always spot subtle issues. I suggest buying a case gauge & checking it. If it's a little out of spec, you might be able to reload anyway if you use a small base die.
[rofl]

On a serious note: Damn! What happened to that thing? Is your chamber OK? Did it go bang out of battery? The last time I saw something that bad it was because someone had shot a .41 magnum in a .44.

Chamber looks fine. I shot two mags without any issues except the case bulge.

Does the body guard have one of thoe not so well supported case chambers like glocks? what does the SW BG owners manual say about what ammo to use....
I know this might be the wrong question but why bother with 380 +p ?

and at over 1$ a round for that stuff.......WHY

I believe it's the chamber support that is the problem. I like carrying the body guard. It's one of the few guns that I don't even feel is there. I also carry a G30S, mostly in the winter.

I believe it's the chamber support that is the problem. I like carrying the body guard. It's one of the few guns that I don't even feel is there. I also carry a G30S, mostly in the winter.

Plus P in a un supported chamber is most likely going to buldge. The thing is what happens when a case ruptures?
Then that same thing nags at my head. Why plus P and especially at over 1$ a pop... I don't know how much more force the plus P produces but on these small pocket pistols it probably slams the shit out of them.

That look just like unsupported Glock brass, just google it. The pics look identical to what you posted.

Wow. That stuff looks like it'll be fine to shoot, until it isn't.

BTW, SAAMI doesn't recognize +P .380 ACP, so all you can take away from any ammo labeled as such is that it's over the SAAMI limit, and you're on your own.

Last edited:
smith and Wesson body guard, I have no idea if it's +P rated. Didn't even know there was such a thing as 380 +P
Don't newer bodyguards have MIM barrels?
Metallurgy in the MIM process is entirely different from forged or barstock - Personally, I wouldn't trust the barrel with an undetermined overpressure.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

I put that ammo through G42 no such problem. Slight bulge but within usual for a glock.

Back
Top Bottom