Cast Iron Cooking - How many of you cook solely on cast iron cookware?

MisterHappy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
The le Crueset is porcelain inside, yes? That will have a smoother surface. I had a couple, LCs, but one cracked ( it was dropped, that'll happen), but the other one started to lose chips of porcelain from the bottom, and I stopped using it, as I didn't want to eat glass.

I was always worried about scratching it.

A modern Lodge will have a rough interior, relatively speaking. I have a Lodge (campfire style, with feet and a coal rim on the top), but only use it for campfire baking.

If you're willing to drop $250 on a cooking pot (not saying, 'Don't!' mind you [laugh]), I'd get a vintage Griswold that is in good shape.

Last edited:

Gusp

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got that $70 Lodge dutch oven. It is porcelain enamel inside and out (inside is off white). I bake bread in it.

ETA: unlike other Lodge pots, it is made in China, unfortunately.

Last edited:

ToddDubya

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I accidentally left the burner on for about 2.5 hours after I finished cleaning up from breakfast this morning. The coating of oil pretty much burned off, but I just shut off the flame and re-oiled it and I'm back in business. I need to stop leaving the burner on after applying oil. Just let the residual heat do its thing.

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I accidentally left the burner on for about 2.5 hours after I finished cleaning up from breakfast this morning. The coating of oil pretty much burned off, but I just shut off the flame and re-oiled it and I'm back in business. I need to stop leaving the burner on after applying oil. Just let the residual heat do its thing.
I've done that before and now do the same thing you are doing.

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Flax seed oil - volatile enough it doesn't need heat to polymerize

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cooked some massive sea scallops tonight (9 per pound) sous-vide. A bit of parmesan butter in the pouch, 122F for 30 minutes.

I seared them in my square Wagner, while a half pound of 31-40 shrimp were cooking in the non-stick.

I made my own Alfredo sauce (pint of heavy cream, half stick of butter, just warm enough to melt the parmesan I shaved into it), plus some dry salt-packed capers.

Served over fettuccine noodles with 5-cheese garlic bread and a fresh salad. OMGyummers!

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which of your cast iron is easiest to clean? Obviously that depends largely on seasoning, and which skillets retain it the best.

I have three main CI pans. Of them, my square Wagner retains seasoning the best, and is always the easiest to clean: let it cool, hit it with some warm water and a Ringer and/or nylon brush, and a touch of soap. Dry it, and it's good. I don't even re-oil.

My second-best is an unknown chicken cooker that I pulled out of a house I was hired to tear down. It has a heat ring, and the only discernible mark on the bottom is an 8. It's heavily pitted, but after cleaning it the same way I clean the square Wagner, I only need to give it a light spritz of oil.

My Wagners 1891 #8 is smooth, but won't retain any non-stick. I use it for bacon, but never eggs.

bsaks

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have one of the field company skillets. machined smooth interior. cleaning isn't terrible but damn does it not want to hold a seasoning.

actually switching to carbon steel to see how that goes. grabbed one of the new misen carbon steel pans on kickstarter cuz I fell for their Instagram marketing...

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My second-best is an unknown chicken cooker that I pulled out of a house I was hired to tear down. It has a heat ring, and the only discernible mark on the bottom is an 8. It's heavily pitted, but after cleaning it the same way I clean the square Wagner, I only need to give it a light spritz of oil.

My Wagners 1891 #8 is smooth, but won't retain any non-stick. I use it for bacon, but never eggs.
If the heat ring on the #8 cooker has 3 notches, it is an unmarked Wagner.

The 1891 (made in 1991 commemorating the 100th anniversary of the company) does not have the fit and finish of it's earlier (before 1950s) predecessors ( I have an 1891). Cast iron pans made today are heavier, with a rougher cast surface -- whereas vintage cast iron cook-ware from the late 19th or early 20th century have a far smoother cooking surface, and are lighter in weight and heft.

I find that cooking a couple pounds of bacon (after a new seasoning on any cast iron pan or skillet) brings the skillet well on its way to a new lease on life. Afterwards, run under water and gently use a 3M scouring pad (no soap) to remove any stuck-on bits at the bottom of the pan (if applicable), dry the pan, and then add a light coat of bacon grease or olive oil.

Last edited:

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually switching to carbon steel to see how that goes. grabbed one of the new misen carbon steel pans on kickstarter cuz I fell for their Instagram marketing...
I love my Misen knife, and I want to buy more of them.

I asked back earlier this year when they would have carbon steel back in stock, and they told me they were hoping for early summer.

That ship date has obviously slipped.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I’ve got a carbon steel pan. Meh. It’s like every not-Teflon-but-claimed-to-be-non-stick pan my mom had as I was growing up. It isn’t that magic to me. Eggs - I’ll use Teflon. into the oven? Cast iron. Sauté and such, I’ll use my stainless/aluminum.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We planned for a chicken pot pie for supper, and I thought we had a 9" Pyrex dish... I was wrong.

So, I rolled the dough a bit to make a bottom crust for my Wagner, pre-baked it, filled it up and added the top crust, and popped it in to brown the top.

I didn't aim for pretty, but it was goooood.

And it was the most non-stick thing I've ever cooked, in that particular skillet that fights a proper seasoning like a toddler fights naps.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
What is it with you cooking bizarros that put a BOTTOM crust on a chicken pot pie. My daughter does the same thing.

The only time I ever got a CPP with a bottom crust was those old frozen ones you'd get. About the size of a Table Talk pie??? Individual sized. THEY had a bottom crust. (And as I recall it was pretty good.)

Every other CPP I've ever had, home made or whatever was top-crust only.

Although truth be told - if I was making individual ones, I'd do a bottom crust. But I do my CPP "Willow-Tree" style. I made the CPP with JUST chicken in it, then cook my veggies separate and build it over a bed of smashed potatoes on the plate.

Fresh green beans. Fresh carrots. Right there and then pour some CPP over teh whole thing and a scoop of extra gravy. (There's always extra gravy in the pan I made it in.)

Can you tell I made this last night???? It was a perfect weekend for it. Although I had to make mostly-lacto-free mashed. My daughter has trouble so it was a good bit of butter, which doesn't seem to bother her, and enough water to get it to the right consistency. And salt, of course. It wasn't bad. But I tend to put a pile of sour cream and then some milk in. Different flavor but hard to tell under all that gravy. ;)

dans

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
What is it with you cooking bizarros that put a BOTTOM crust on a chicken pot pie. My daughter does the same thing.

The only time I ever got a CPP with a bottom crust was those old frozen ones you'd get. About the size of a Table Talk pie??? Individual sized. THEY had a bottom crust. (And as I recall it was pretty good.)

Although truth be told - if I was making individual ones, I'd do a bottom crust. But I do my CPP "Willow-Tree" style. I made the CPP with JUST chicken in it, then cook my veggies separate and build it over a bed of smashed potatoes on the plate.

Fresh green beans. Fresh carrots. Right there and then pour some CPP over teh whole thing and a scoop of extra gravy. (There's always extra gravy in the pan I made it in.)

Can you tell I made this last night???? It was a perfect weekend for it. Although I had to make mostly-lacto-free mashed. My daughter has trouble so it was a good bit of butter, which doesn't seem to bother her, and enough water to get it to the right consistency. And salt, of course. It wasn't bad. But I tend to put a pile of sour cream and then some milk in. Different flavor but hard to tell under all that gravy. ;)
It might not be part of your heritage but double crust CPP is a thing. Google it.

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

It might not be part of your heritage but double crust CPP is a thing. Google it.
Want to see a really weird version? Google Pennsylvania German chicken pot pie. No crust

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Damn. I'm an outlier and didn't even know it.

Veggies in or veggies out??? I grew up veggies in, but that was my mom's way. Pot pie to her was ONLY turkey. Because she hates leftovers (GASP!) and wanted to get rid of the leftover turkey.

So her TPP was a Pyrex bowl filled with:

1 can green beans
1 can sliced carrots
2 cans of peeled sliced potatoes (you can actually buy a can of sliced peeled potatoes. Talk about lazy-ass Americans!)
1 can cream-of-chicken soup
broken up turkey
enough water to mix it all in.

THEN a top-crust. Bake until bubbling. I thought that was the bomb (outside of those individual ones I referenced before) when I was young and dumb.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Veggies in or veggies out???
I'm neutral, and don't mind the veggies.

My lovely bride, having been forced to eat her stepmother's cooking in Dubuque, rejects peas and carrots in anything. Our favorite local Thai restaurant only does large fresh chunks, so she can pick through those without objection.

For store-bought frozen, the Willowtree pies without veggies are pretty good. They also have the peas & carrots version, so you can choose.

Top Bottom