• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CB Radio base unit

Guys I need a tad bit of help I know it's not a ham radio but I acquired a brand new 1997 cb radio and 12ft antenna but no antenna cable. I tried to find the antenna cable on the web to no avail. Can any of the more experienced people head me in the right direction?

NO NO NOOOOOOOOOO!

Stay the hell away from RG58... (unless you want to piss whatever little power your radio has into nothing) and radio shack.

http://www.cablexperts.com - if you're too inept to solder your own PL connectors....

Get 9913F or RG213 with whatever the longest length you need to get to where you are gonna mount the antenna.

What's the make/model of the radio, out of curiosity?

-Mike

I run RG213,I got it for free unused.I ran RG8 for years without issues.

It's actually a realistic TRC 429. Thanks for the help

I ordered one from the site you gave DrGrant thanks again for the help everyone..

Last edited:
So, how did it work out?

What is a practical working distance for a setup like this?

I'm not sure what you mean by working distance. I have a 6 foot cable with a 12ft base antenna attached to my shed.
The cb range is roughly 25mi I think. Don't quote me on this though.

The kids got some Cobra MicroTALK walkie talkies for Christmas which say they have a 25 mile (ideal conditions) range. Having a "base station" on AC power instead of batteries would be easier and nicer to keep in touch with them when we kick them out for the day.

The kids got some Cobra MicroTALK walkie talkies for Christmas which say they have a 25 mile (ideal conditions) range. Having a "base station" on AC power instead of batteries would be easier and nicer to keep in touch with them when we kick them out for the day.
If you can stick an antenna on the roof that would really enhance the usefulness.

The cobra microTalk are not on the same band as CB, they are GMRS/FRS and external antennas for them may be regulated and require a license. Not worth the effort in my opinion.

The cobra microTalk are not on the same band as CB, they are GMRS/FRS and external antennas for them may be regulated and require a license. Not worth the effort in my opinion.
Interesting. That hadn't occured to me. I just looked on eBay and people are selling base antennas for <$50. I guess this explains why none of the radios have detachable antennas.

Back
Top Bottom