CCI Lawman .45ACP 200gr HP - aka "Flying Ashtray"

Nobody uses this stuff anymore. There are a ton of much better options out there.

That said, I'll keep an eye out for them and PM you if I find any.

They are useful for one thing... testing. If a gun will reliably eat flying ashtrays it will probably run just about anything. Pretty much any "fussy" .45 ACP handgun would choke on those things, instantly.

-Mike

Nobody uses this stuff anymore. There are a ton of much better options out there.

That said, I'll keep an eye out for them and PM you if I find any.

They are useful for one thing... testing. If a gun will reliably eat flying ashtrays it will probably run just about anything. Pretty much any "fussy" .45 ACP handgun would choke on those things, instantly.

-Mike

Thanks for looking. Yes, they were more than a mouthful for some pistols.

Is there empirical evidence showing that contemporary loads are better?

Thanks for looking. Yes, they were more than a mouthful for some pistols.

Is there empirical evidence showing that contemporary loads are better?

I don't have the docs in front of me but back when I used to pay attention to the tests, my best recollection was that load was never that great to begin with. The 230 std pressure GDHP always tested better so I just ignored it, and bought that instead. Fed HST 230 (and bonded version) Win Ranger RA45TA, the new 220 gr +P Critical Duty (Hornady), bunch of others all perform well, and likely better than the old flying ashtray.

-Mike

The first handgun I ever saw in my life was at a family party. I don't remember where it was or who the family member was, but I do recall my dad taking me into a room and showing me the guys .45.

He said something to the effect of "this will make a small hole going in and an ashtray sized hole going out."

This was back in the late 70's so not sure if relevant .

The first handgun I ever saw in my life was at a family party. I don't remember where it was or who the family member was, but I do recall my dad taking me into a room and showing me the guys .45.

He said something to the effect of "this will make a small hole going in and an ashtray sized hole going out."

This was back in the late 70's so not sure if relevant .

image018.jpg

Back
Top Bottom