• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CCW While Boating

Just wondering, with the nice weather today and boat season just around the corner, how do CCW laws differ when on the ocean. I'm talking about a privately owned pleasure boat, registered in MA. Could I CCW on the water? What if I leave MA waters, but do not go ashore? What about international waters? Do the same rules for storage apply on a boat as they would in a car or other vehicle? Accurate information appreciated but will accept an educated guess.

Regards,
Chris

I know it is illegal to carry while snowmobiling but I'm not sure about boating. Not that I would carry a gun while snowmobiling anyways...

Yep, when I registered my snowmobiles this year in MA they give you an overview of the laws and one of the laws stated that you cannot carry a firearm while riding a snowmobile unless it is not on your person and in an approved lock box. It doesn't really make sense.

Pete

PistolPete said:
Yep, when I registered my snowmobiles this year in MA they give you an overview of the laws and one of the laws stated that you cannot carry a firearm while riding a snowmobile unless it is not on your person and in an approved lock box. It doesn't really make sense.

Pete

Not only snowmobiles but "RV's" in the sense of ATV's/Dirtbikes. I don't think that motorboats are covered under this as they are not mentioned by name as they are in other sections. A call to your local EPO officer would square it away.

Here ya go, MGL Chapter 90B section 26

CHAPTER 90B. MOTORBOATS, OTHER VESSELS AND RECREATIONAL VEHICLES

Chapter 90B: Section 26. Dangerous and prohibited operation; restrictions; operator’s license requirement

Section 26. No one shall operate a snow vehicle or recreation vehicle with a percentage, by weight, of alcohol in their blood of eight one-hundredths or greater, or so as to endanger any person or property.

No one shall operate a snow vehicle or a recreation vehicle in a reforested or planted area in a manner to cause damage to growing stock.

No one under the age of sixteen and one half years of age shall operate a snow vehicle or a recreation vehicle across a public highway. No one under fourteen years of age shall operate a snow vehicle or a recreation vehicle unless directly supervised by an adult.

Every person operating or riding in or on a recreation vehicle or a snow vehicle or on a sled attached thereto shall wear protective headgear conforming with such minimum standards for construction and performance as the registrar of motor vehicles may prescribe.

No person shall operate a snow vehicle on privately owned property, except in cases of emergency, unless: (a) the operator is the owner or lessee or immediate family member of the owner or lessee of such property; (b) the operator has in his possession either a document, signed by the owner or lessee of such property or his agent, authorizing the operation of a snow vehicle on such property by the operator or valid proof of current membership in a club, association or other organization to which express authorization for the operation of snow vehicles on such property has been granted; provided, however, that such operation shall be consistent with the express authorization so granted and any restrictions imposed therewith; or (c) the owner or lessee of such property has designated the area for use by such snow vehicles by posting reasonable notice of such designation in a manner approved by the director.

No one shall operate a snow vehicle or recreation vehicle in a manner to harass deer or other wildlife.

No one shall operate a snow vehicle or recreation vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or narcotic drugs.

No one shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun in or on a snow vehicle or a recreation vehicle or on a trailer or sled attached thereto unless such firearm, rifle or shotgun is unloaded and in an enclosed case, unless he is a law enforcement officer or other person authorized to carry arms as specifically described in section thirty-two, or a paraplegic as provided in section sixty-five of chapter one hundred and thirty-one.

A motor vehicle operator’s license or learner’s permit shall not be required for the operation of a snow vehicle or a recreation vehicle.

Section 32 defines who can enforce certain sections of 90B. What it does is exclude from Section 26 those who can enforce those laws. In other words it's a LEO exemption.

Chapter 90B: Section 32. Regulations; enforcement; reports of violations

Section 32. The provisions of sections twenty-one to thirty-four, inclusive, and of all the rules and regulations made under the authority thereof shall be enforced by the commissioner, his assistants, the director, deputy directors of enforcement, chiefs of enforcement, deputy chiefs of enforcement, environmental police officers and deputy environmental police officers of the department of fisheries, wildlife and environmental law enforcement, wardens as defined in section one of chapter one hundred and thirty-one, police officers, members of the state police and by city and town police officers. Whoever while operating or in charge of any snow vehicle or recreation vehicle, other than on property owned by him, refuses to stop such vehicle after having been requested or signalled to do so by any such officer, or whoever refuses to give his true and correct name and address or refuses to display the certificate of number of such vehicle and surrender to such officer for examination shall be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars. Such officers may, in the performance of their duty, enter upon and pass through or over private lands or property.

Every officer authorized to enforce the provisions of this chapter, or any rule, regulation, ordinance or by-law made under authority hereof, shall report to the director, on forms provided by him and in such manner as he may prescribe, every violation of such chapter, rule, regulation, ordinance or by-law.

Last edited:
I believe that the snowmobile no-guns rule, like the no loaded long guns in an auto rule, is primarily aimed at poaching, not guns.

No one shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun in or on a snow vehicle or a recreation vehicle or on a trailer or sled attached thereto unless such firearm, rifle or shotgun is unloaded and in an enclosed case, unless he is a law enforcement officer or other person authorized to carry arms as specifically described in section thirty-two, or a paraplegic as provided in section sixty-five of chapter one hundred and thirty-one.

I wonder if the ADA would protect one from being discriminated against on the basis that they don't have a disability. [wink] Somehow I think not.

Ken

PistolPete said:
I know it is illegal to carry while snowmobiling but I'm not sure about boating. Not that I would carry a gun while snowmobiling anyways...

Unless you are an eskimo... (-;

What about duck hunting from a boat?

What about CCW on a ferry?

What if you need to get to an island for some reason?

This sounds like
bsflag.gif
to me.

Just going from the fishermen that I've set out with, while you're in State Waters the laws of that state Apply, So if you Boat into NY waters and get boared by the Coasties, yer skrewed.

Granted I've heard stories of guns being illigally seized by zelious Coasguard officers....and then the guns "Vanishing" when the owner gets the powers that be to relase it.

-Weer'd Beard

Standard statement, I'm not a lawyer.

Can carry on a boat. Boat is not a home though from what I recall regarding if there is an intruder.

However you get into another state another set of laws apply.

Dana

Back
Top Bottom