• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Changing a tire...

We talk about a lot of far out topics in here, but how about one that is pretty basic.

I just walked from one building to another at work (100yds). It's freakin' cold out... I stood outside and chatted with a fellow employee for a few minutes on the way and my fingers were chilled to the point I was fumbling with keys to get in the building (it's about 10deg and 30+mph winds).

From NOAA:
windchill.gif

Do you have the cold weather gear in your car to even be able to change a tire in this weather (never mind trying to hike home)? Would you be risking frostbite? Will your fingers be so cold you can't get the damn nut back on the stud? Do you have footwear in the car to protect your feet while standing in a snow bank doing this task?

Damn it'd suck to be stuck out in this...

Funny, I was just discussing this with MrsTwigg.

I reminded her about the dangers of extrem cold with a story from a few years ago when I was still building my rustic furniture. I had a sizeable order from a place out in New Jersey so I wanted to load my truck the day before. I got everything loaded and stacked up in five degree weather with no wind. I took off my gloves so I could lash everything down and after three minutes I could not get my fingers to cooperate with me anymore.

Right now we've got wind chills from -15 to -30 in the Monadnock area.

Bundle up folks.

My Get Home Bag has a winter hat, winter gloves, boots in the trunk... etc. I also keep an extra winter coat and sleeping bag in the trunk. Never know when you'll need it.

Yeah, I would be OK. I keep my BOB in the back of my car and a separate bag with winter cloths that include long johns, heavy pants, sweatshirt, old winter boots, hat and gloves. I'll have my winter jacket on me so I should be good with what I keep in the car.

First thing my father told me when I got my license was to have the proper clothing to be able to walk home in any weather.

Didn't follow his suggestion once and got caught broken down in NH on a summer night. The temp dropped 25 degrees when the sun went down and I was in a tank top and jeans.....froze my ass off for a while until a trooper gave us a ride to a gas station where a friend picked us up.

Been prepared ever since. I always have at least one change of clothes and appropriate outer clothing for the season with me, including gloves, hats and scarf.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

I put an entrenching tool and tow line in all the cars as well as winter clothing.

The rubber floor mats will be traction devices if need be.

I keep an old pair of work gloves in the trunk amongst other things. I'm not afraid to get a little dirty but there's nothing worse than changing a tire and having to get back into the car making hand prints everywhere.

The Lugnut key is also a handy thing to have for those with locking nuts. Ask any road side assistance person.

Also, having grown up in NE I have a box full of winter gear, some of which was given to me over Christmases and birthdays and I wouldn't dare wear under normal circumstances. If I break down hopefully no one will mind picking up the guy in the goofy hat and mittens.

Last edited:
-15 with 40+MPH winds in Vermont one time with High School ski club at Killington. Yikes!

It is ALWAYS COLD in Vermont at night, and with wind, it is pretty bad. You want to be inside, near a wood stove, with Canadian beer.

We talk about a lot of far out topics in here, but how about one that is pretty basic.

I just walked from one building to another at work (100yds). It's freakin' cold out... I stood outside and chatted with a fellow employee for a few minutes on the way and my fingers were chilled to the point I was fumbling with keys to get in the building (it's about 10deg and 30+mph winds).

From NOAA:
windchill.gif

Do you have the cold weather gear in your car to even be able to change a tire in this weather (never mind trying to hike home)? Would you be risking frostbite? Will your fingers be so cold you can't get the damn nut back on the stud? Do you have footwear in the car to protect your feet while standing in a snow bank doing this task?

Damn it'd suck to be stuck out in this...

Great post Matt.
Changin' a blown tire sux! ,its pretty FN cold out tonight...If you got somebody thinking about this situation..which you did...good thread!
+10

Last edited:
My get-home-gear would cover me...

but I would probably utilize AAA and a $20 tip in this scenario [wink]

If the cell phone was workin', I think a call to AAA would be my choice. I'm not ancient, but not a youngster anymore and I hate the cold! If there was no alternative to doing it myself, I'd give it a try, but I'd probably have to do it in steps and warm up in between. Did I mention I hate cold weather! [laugh]

i always keep some snivel gear in the car.... most of the time, it's a couple of beanie caps and gloves...

recently, added boots, gortex pants and parka (jacket) for shooting.

the hat and gloves would allow to "jog" an undetermined distance w/o freezing my hands and ears off, while preserving enough body heat to keep going.

but the extra gear would also help if i had to stop and walk or change a tire as well.

cold weather (alone) like today isn't as much to worry about itself... but add the other elements like rain, snow, ice, sleet and you could be forced to travel in some harsh conditions leaving you cold and wet....

stay dry! keep walking

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
334 PM EST TUE DEC 29 2009

...DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND CHILLS ARE EXPECTED TONIGHT ACROSS PORTIONS
OF THE INTERIOR HIGHER TERRAIN...

MAZ002-004-008-009-012-300445-
/O.CON.KBOX.WC.Y.0005.000000T0000Z-091230T1000Z/
WESTERN FRANKLIN MA-NORTHERN WORCESTER MA-WESTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-
WESTERN HAMPDEN MA-SOUTHERN WORCESTER MA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CHARLEMONT...BARRE...FITCHBURG...
CHESTERFIELD...BLANDFORD...MILFORD...WORCESTER
334 PM EST TUE DEC 29 2009
...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM EST
WEDNESDAY...

A WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM EST WEDNESDAY.

THIS WIND CHILL ADVISORY IS FOR THE EAST SLOPES OF THE BERKSHIRES AND
THE WORCESTER HILLS IN MASSACHUSETTS.

A BITTERLY COLD AIR MASS WILL RESULT IN DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND CHILLS
TONIGHT. OVERNIGHT LOW TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO FALL WELL DOWN
INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS. THESE VALUES COMBINED WITH THE WINDS WILL
RESULT IN WIND CHILL VALUES DROPPING TO BETWEEN 15 AND 20 BELOW ZERO
TONIGHT

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WIND CHILL ADVISORY IS ISSUED WHEN THE WIND CHILL INDEX IS
LIKELY TO REACH -15 TO -24 DEGREES FOR AT LEAST 3 HOURS.
FROSTBITE CAN DEVELOP IN JUST 30 MINUTES WITH A WIND CHILL INDEX
OF -20.
IF YOU ARE HEADING OUTDOORS...DRESS IN LAYERS AND WEAR A
HAT AND GLOVES.

&&

http://www.accuweather.com/watches-...code=01601&metric=0&zone=MAZ012&county=MAC027

always keep a cold weather kit in the car during the winter, cloths, tools and food for two days with some hand warmers. Almost got stuck in the middle of nowhere way to many times to not be prepared. Can change a tire in a bit under 10 min, probably under 8 if my trunk was clear and I rushed it.

Been there done that, froze my moobs off. I was wearing Gym shorts too on my way to work at 5:30am. I drive a mile from home...POP!

That day sucked. Next time I will drive on the rim and go back home. I don't care.[laugh]

I wear WindStopper fleece, and have a fleece hat and Windstopper gloves in the car. I'd do ok. Funny -- just yesterday on the way to work, on a back road in Bolton, I came around a bend and hit a glass bottle on the road, just clipping it really, and not sure if it broke, and watching for signs of deflation over the next few miles. I was thinking how glad I was to have transferred all that stuff from the truck to the car before leaving. It was damn windy yesterday.

My get home bag has boots, long johns and gloves with hand warmers. But as far as most people I know they don't even know how to get there spare out of there car.

Been there, done that, and had a crapload of stuff in the back of the car to boot. Was just after the ice storm last year when it got REALLY Cold. Hit a massive pothole and blew out the front tire on the passenger side.

Even with digging the crap out of the back to get to the spare, I was done in < 10 minutes. (you do know HOW to change a tire right? and, where all the tools are?)

2-3 years ago, I thought about this and made the effort to find some warm gloves with good dexterity specifically for short term emergency use in frigid temps. I found what I think are the ideal in a North Face windstopper fleece. The closest thing to a model number I can find is: AX378427. Got them up at Kittery Trading.

They have a grippy surface on the palm, thumb, and first two fingers. They are warm enough but don't make you want to tear them off for being too bulky to do work. The windstopper works. And, they are easy enough to get on or off and sit well in a jacket pocket. The gauntlet is long enough to get tucked under the jacket cuff to seal out the wind, but not so long as to be annoying.

I bought 3 pair, one for the pockets of each of my 3 preferred winter jackets so I'll always have them with me. They are what I put on to move pumpkins at the last shoot for example because they were in the pockets.

I did end up buying women's large as they fit better than any of the men's sizes, but that is going to be different for everyone. (I mention it because few people think about trying the other gender's sizes when it comes to gloves)

I have no illusion that they would be lacking for any extended extreme exposure or if things got wet, but for the short term use envisioned, they have been exceptional.

I also keep a pair of winter Mechanix gloves in the vehicle. They are a bit warmer than the North Face, but that added bulk makes delicate work harder. These were my pocket gloves before I found the North Face versions, but I never liked the added bulk. However, they do work and I spend a few days splitting wood with them and never had any real issues.

Anyway, I got that tire changed without any major fuss but my own swearing for hitting the pothole and wasn't feeling any worse for wear after.

Been there done that, froze my moobs off. I was wearing Gym shorts too on my way to work at 5:30am. I drive a mile from home...POP!

That day sucked. Next time I will drive on the rim and go back home. I don't care.[laugh]

I am going out on a limb here, and don't want to hurt feelings, but, for the purposes of this subject: FAIL!

I am going out on a limb here, and don't want to hurt feelings, but, for the purposes of this subject: FAIL!

[laugh] There was a gym at my work, and I would workout and shower before I started work. So I would get ready for the Gym at home. I would fire up the remote starter 10 minutes before heading out. I was only exposed to the elements for 2 30 seconds runs(to the car from home and from the car to the front door at work.

Then the Tire popped[shocked]

New round here ... but figured I'd throw in my 2 cents. I always make sure that I'm prepared to walk a decent distance if needed on the weather - so I grab the gloves, hat, etc on the way out the door. What a lot of people don't think about (ok,the years as a cop coming out ....) is VISIBILITY. If your car breaks down, for a flat or whatever, the highest risk is that you're hit by some idiot on their cell phone, applying mascara, and doing 10 other things. Sooooo ... my trunk has battery operated strobe flares, high viz vest, etc..... and the stuff to get things done QUICK. A floor jack. I don't know how many times I've seen someone trying to change a tire, stopped, pulled out a floor jack and it was the best thing they ever saw. At that time, a nice floor jack is the BEST thing you can have to change a tire quickly, and safely - no need to worry about a spindly sciissor jack falling over, etc. Maybe too specific an answer to the original question? But I saw it as relevant .... and part of being well prepared ...

Last edited:
Changed a flat last week in freezing temperatures using the scissor jack that came with my car. 7 minutes from the time I opened my trunk to the time I was driving away, done so quickly that I was sweating by the time I got back in the car. Surprisingly the hardest part was getting the jack to "let go" of the frame when I put the car down. The jack and the frame both have a little U shape to prevent slippage and the jack actually lifted off the ground when I let the car all the way down and continued to crank the jack down.

I can remember the first time I got a flat tire, jumping up and down on the stock tire iron trying to get the lug nuts off. A 22 inch, one-piece (forged) 4-way wrench really makes the task of changing a tire a lot easier. Best $30 I ever spent. What was wrong with the tire? Appearently a little bit of watter got in between the rim and the tire and as it froze it broke the seal.

Everyone should know how to properly change a tire. With the right tools, it requires minimal strength and almost zero mechanical knowledge.

Last edited:
Yep. I do. Silly to live in New Englad and not. Should have at least hat/gloves/boots/blanket/shovel in your car.

I drive a full size 3/4ton truck with a extended depth tool box in the bed. The box is packed with tools. On a good day I even have a snap-on cordless impact gun with me. I always have carhartt bibs with me and my daily jacket is a carhartt. I always have multiple pairs of gloves with me and usually a second set of boots. I have fixed many problem for many different stranded people in all sorts of weather[wink]. I also have 40 ft of G70 3/8 chain and other reovery stuff and have pulled many truck out of ditches and what not. It sucks but not many people are like us and they need help.

Back
Top Bottom