Chapter 140 section 131E - 3 more weeks till C&R takes effect

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
3 more weeks until the change to chapter 140 that Sen. Timilty and I put up and got passed to not only help C&R licensees but actually gets Mass to recognize C&R licenses!
We did this 6 years ago and even recently I had a dealer tell me that since MA doesn't recognize C&R's he cannot transfer a gun that is not MA compliant since the C&R regulations (federally) state that you have to follow all state laws which means a dealer legally cannot transfer a non-compliant gun that is a C&R to you. NOW MOST DO but technically they can't.

Now there will be no issue, if you want to buy a C&R gun and for some reason the dealer won't sell it just show them this section. For example I have had dealers that won't send to a C&R (incorrectly) or an individual that only will send to a dealer or go through a dealer and then the dealer says it is not MA compliant, well this fixes all that.

I realize it seldom happens but this just locks it in.

Here is the new law in Chapter 140 Section 131 E

A firearms collector, licensed pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 923(b), may purchase a rifle, shotgun or firearm that was not previously owned or registered in the commonwealth from a dealer licensed under section 122 if that rifle, shotgun or firearm is a curio or relic as defined in 27 CFR 478.11.

It only took 5 years to come into effect... Nothing will change out of state FFLs general fear or disgust with MA and unwillingness to ship stuff here. But at least now you can have the C&R item shipped to a 01 or 07 FFL and they can transfer to you. Previously you had to use NH or ME as the workaround for C&R stuff which is crazy

Awesome work and thank you!! Laws rarely change in a favorable direction in this state and this is definitely cause for celebration!!

Wondering If anyone has an effective way to relay this information to the CMP with regards to the second offering of 1911s for sale?? According to their FAQ, MA is the ONLY state they will not accept orders from! Shouldn’t the new law eliminate the legal issues the CMP are pointing to?

Last edited:
It only took 5 years to come into effect... Nothing will change out of state FFLs general fear or disgust with MA and unwillingness to ship stuff here. But at least now you can have the C&R item shipped to a 01 or 07 FFL and they can transfer to you. Previously you had to use NH or ME as the workaround for C&R stuff which is crazy.
Teaching ignorant FFLs in MA and elsewhere how to read will be the next big challenge.
That was an awfully long 5 years. I, too, don't think much is going to change. I wish I could feel otherwise, but educating out-of-state FFLs and telling them to trust that Massachusetts is not out to screw them is not going to be an easy task. [thinking]

OMG that is hilarious :p
I wish that I was joking. Back in 1998-2001, Glidden and I were trying to educate non-MA FFLs that it was legal to ship semi-auto rifles to MA FFLs with very little to no success. Finally, Ron Glidden told me that he wasn't going to bother trying to educate the ignorant any more as it was futile. I had to agree with him.

I had personal experience with it as well. I ordered a CETME to be shipped to Four Seasons 3 times with Carl on the phone (conference call to non-MA FFL), finally, after they cancelled the order the third time, they told me "it's illegal to ship a semi-auto in MA" and refused to listen/read MGL. Before Cabela's in Hudson MA opened, I spent a lot of time on the phone and with Emailing MGL to their legal counsel to try to get them to ship orders to the store for pick-up, etc. Only to learn after they opened that they refused sales of empty ammo cans and gun-shaped coffee mugs to NRs.

Many dealers are insane and scared of their shadow, won't read MGL and merely abide by it, without inventing "new law".

Wait and see. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I've been in this game too long.

That was an awfully long 5 years. I, too, don't think much is going to change. I wish I could feel otherwise, but educating out-of-state FFLs and telling them to trust that Massachusetts is not out to screw them is not going to be an easy task. [thinking]
I'm with you. See my comments above.

I've had C&R dealers say no shipping to MA.

Out of state dealers - this won't do a damned thing. "I'm askert" is still a valid reason to stop a sale no matter what. And some dealers in vintage arms out there are just askert. Hell, look at the ammo situation . OR the silly companies that have a "no mASS" policy - even for a sticker or a screw.

This just helps in-state. And it's a good thing. And stupid that we need it in the first place. Thanks for all the help, BC!

It's been at least decade since I purchased a C&R online. Last was a Yugo SKS. I sent check and license, they sent rifle. Easy peasy (in MA). Are there fewer dealers willing to ship to MA now than there were in the early part of the century? Having recently renewed, I was thinking about excising it again. While I certainly won't ask folks to post who is shipping, I'm interested in the general pattern of willingness to ship to MA. Increase or decrease in your experience?

Regarding CMP 1911’s- this will not help. The Army requires the firearm to be transferred from the FFL to the buyer on the 4473, which requires a background check. Transferring to a C&R holder will not go on the 4473, therefore not compliant with Army requirements.

Regarding CMP 1911’s- this will not help. The Army requires the firearm to be transferred from the FFL to the buyer on the 4473, which requires a background check. Transferring to a C&R holder will not go on the 4473, therefore not compliant with Army requirements.

Yes but, if CMP knows that dealers can now transfer the guns they may change their minds. Also get ready for a $200 NFA license fee for the 1911's and per magazine - maybe

Back
Top Bottom