Chapter 140 section 131E - 3 more weeks till C&R takes effect

Regarding CMP 1911’s- this will not help. The Army requires the firearm to be transferred from the FFL to the buyer on the 4473, which requires a background check. Transferring to a C&R holder will not go on the 4473, therefore not compliant with Army requirements.

So if the ffl did a 4473, that would be acceptable to the army. The dealer could then transfer to the mass resident using the c and r 03 exemption provided 1 1 2021 to satisfy mass?
Or am I missing something ?

So if the ffl did a 4473, that would be acceptable to the army. The dealer could then transfer to the mass resident using the c and r 03 exemption provided 1 1 2021 to satisfy mass?
Or am I missing something ?
I believe not. The CMP (a federally chartered non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation, actually called the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice & Firearms Safety, - not the Army) requires that the 1911 go to an individual, not to another FFL (though I’m not sure if they would consider an 03 an FFL or an individual, since an 03 is “not in the business of manufacturing or selling firearms"). In any case, the CMP has already stated that they will not ship 1911s to MA, period. So it would have to go to an out of state FFL who would then have to transfer it to a MA FFL, which is a CMP no-no (not going direct to an individual).

Right now, I think the only way for a MA resident to get a CMP 1911 is to buy it off an individual from out of state (or from an FFL who bought it from an individual) and have it shipped to a MA FFL. The new law will allow that FFL to transfer it to you even though it is “off list”. You still can’t get one direct from the CMP.

ETA This only works if you nave an 03 (C&R) FFL yourself. If you just have your LTC, a MA FFL still can’t transfer a CMP 1911 to you, since it is “off list”.

Now that a C&R FFL is recognized, will a C&R holder still have to register firearms with the state and will they be restricted to the number of FTF transfers, even if C&R to C&R holder?

I believe not. The CMP (a federally chartered non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation, actually called the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice & Firearms Safety, - not the Army) requires that the 1911 go to an individual, not to another FFL (though I’m not sure if they would consider an 03 an FFL or an individual, since an 03 is “not in the business of manufacturing or selling firearms"). In any case, the CMP has already stated that they will not ship 1911s to MA, period. So it would have to go to an out of state FFL who would then have to transfer it to a MA FFL, which is a CMP no-no (not going direct to an individual).

Right now, I think the only way for a MA resident to get a CMP 1911 is to buy it off an individual from out of state (or from an FFL who bought it from an individual) and have it shipped to a MA FFL. The new law will allow that FFL to transfer it to you even though it is “off list”. You still can’t get one direct from the CMP.

ETA This only works if you nave an 03 (C&R) FFL yourself. If you just have your LTC, a MA FFL still can’t transfer a CMP 1911 to you, since it is “off list”.
Would a C&R holder need to go through a FFL?. I thought C&R can buy from an out of state C&R holder or for that fact a non C&R holder provided that the transaction meet the state requirements in which the transaction took place.

Would a C&R holder need to go through a FFL?. I thought C&R can buy from an out of state C&R holder or for that fact a non C&R holder provided that the transaction meet the state requirements in which the transaction took place.
C&R guns can be shipped to 03 FFL(C&R) addresses. But some stores refuse to ship to MA resident C&Rs. Also, it helps in returning off roster C&R handguns to people if they get surrendered and transferred to an FFL, like in a restraining order instance.

Overall though, it’s a BS feel good change to make it seem like they’re compromising. When in reality it doesn’t over-ride the AG’s consumer safety regs. Only the rosters. So any mil-surp pistols not in the state before ‘98 still can’t be transferred by a dealer.

C&R guns can be shipped to 03 FFL(C&R) addresses. But some stores refuse to ship to MA resident C&Rs. Also, it helps in returning off roster C&R handguns to people if they get surrendered and transferred to an FFL, like in a restraining order instance.

Overall though, it’s a BS feel good change to make it seem like they’re compromising. When in reality it doesn’t over-ride the AG’s consumer safety regs. Only the rosters. So any mil-surp pistols not in the state before ‘98 still can’t be transferred by a dealer.
The new wording: "A firearms collector, licensed pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 923(b), may purchase a rifle, shotgun or firearm that was not previously owned or registered in the commonwealth from a dealer licensed under section 122 if that rifle, shotgun or firearm is a curio or relic as defined in 27 CFR 478.11."

What am I missing here???????? 🤔

The new wording: "A firearms collector, licensed pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 923(b), may purchase a rifle, shotgun or firearm that was not previously owned or registered in the commonwealth from a dealer licensed under section 122 if that rifle, shotgun or firearm is a curio or relic as defined in 27 CFR 478.11."

I agree EJ, a dealer can transfer a mil-surp to a C&R, it doesn't have to ever have been in MASS

I agree EJ, a dealer can transfer a mil-surp to a C&R, it doesn't have to ever have been in MASS

I may have mixed up the “in MA prior to” part with the MGL for the rosters

However, the new section of law only applies to the firearm laws. It does not apply to the laws giving the AG the power to institute consumer safety regulation. Hence why it only applies to the rosters, and not the AG’s rules. And for the AG’s rules, there are exceptions for older handguns made for sporting purposes. But not milsurp. I forget the exact verbiage and don’t have a moment to look it up right now.

Ah ok that makes sense the different requirements set forth. What a square dance for real. Yes I just renewed the 03 good to Feb 2024

Will this have any effect on an out of state C&R holder traveling to MA to buy and pick up a C&R firearm, if said C&R holder does not have a MA license?

I know as a C&R holder I could have it shipped back to me, but can I just take it with me? After all it is technically an FFL.

Will this have any effect on an out of state C&R holder traveling to MA to buy and pick up a C&R firearm, if said C&R holder does not have a MA license?

I know as a C&R holder I could have it shipped back to me, but can I just take it with me? After all it is technically an FFL.

Covered by the "safe passage" provision of FOPA; FFL (insert your favorite two-digit number here) or not.

Covered by the "safe passage" provision of FOPA; FFL (insert your favorite two-digit number here) or not.
I was under the impression that FOPA only applied if you were traveling from one place where you could possess to another place you could possess. Or from a place you could possess to a shooting event and back.
In this case it would be travel from one place where you CAN'T possess ro another where you can.
The other question would be, would a MA dealer even sell it to me, I assume you would, are you a MA dealer?

I was under the impression that FOPA only applied if you were traveling from one place where you could possess to another place you could possess. Or from a place you could possess to a shooting event and back.
In this case it would be travel from one place where you CAN'T possess ro another where you can.
The other question would be, would a MA dealer even sell it to me, I assume you would, are you a MA dealer?

“Anything that happens, happens.

Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.

Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again.

It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”​

Back
Top Bottom