• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cheap radio, surprisingly versitile

Chris

NES Member
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
51oHAZ8jwmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Available at Amazon.com, but there are other sources that are cheaper.

Amazon link

I have a GMRS license and have had a set of Motorola Sport radios for something like 20 years now that I started using on Ski trips and more recently on road trips to talk from car to car. Well, recently one of them started giving me trouble as the solder joints were failing. So, I started looking for a replacement that didn't cost me a fortune.

So, when I read a review of these Chinese radios, I gave them a look. The Beofeng brand does have other radios, but what I liked about these was the simplistic operation and the fact that the only programming is by PC.

Got 2, programmed them to the GMRS frequencies and went on a road trip. Worked great. Then I tried some local ham repeaters and the people I talked to could not believe I was using a cheap Chinese walkie.

Anyway, if you are looking for some better than FRS radios (these output 3+ watts) and have the skills to program them, these little radios are pretty darn good. FRS radios always seem to have too short a range. I prefer my GMRS with more power as they will easily reach across a facility like Sunday River or Killington.

You'll need the software: Beofeng BF-888s Programming Software

You'll also need a programming cable. I have a Kenwood cable that seems to work that uses the Prolific USB to serial chip. There are other sources for the cable, but I have not tried them.

Anyway, thought someone else here might like to play with these. My kids love 'em. I like just how much capability they have for the money. Battery lasts a LOT longer than my Yeasu HT which makes these more practical for long operation.

Amazon seriously neutered your review, Chris.

Yea, every URL was removed. Guess they have had issues. I did add a comment (wasn't able to edit my review in their iPhone app) to mention that.

Odd because I've reviewed other stuff and added URLs without any trouble, so this is new.

Sent from the bottom of my bowl of Cheerios.

I'll stick with radios that allow me to load keys with a keyloader, just in case.

Look into their $50 R5 line, same basic setup, but with a keypad you can use to program. I specifically didn't want users to be able to alter the frequency.

Especially when my 4yo got ahold of the PMC radios last weekend and broadcast over the MEMA network.

Imagine someone finding a lot of dead air at 406mhz and transmitting. Don't need that kind of attention. (emergency beacon freq)

Look into their $50 R5 line, same basic setup, but with a keypad you can use to program. I specifically didn't want users to be able to alter the frequency.

Especially when my 4yo got ahold of the PMC radios last weekend and broadcast over the MEMA network.

Imagine someone finding a lot of dead air at 406mhz and transmitting. Don't need that kind of attention. (emergency beacon freq)

Umm, no. That's not what I meant. I meant radios that accept cryptographic keys from a keyloader. Just in case.[smile]

Umm, no. That's not what I meant. I meant radios that accept cryptographic keys from a keyloader. Just in case.[smile]

Sorry, my tinfoil wasn't on straight. (^_^)

Actually, a lot of the documentation does say that there is a scrambler feature. Even the manual mentions it. Unfortunately I have not (and any discussion I've seen on-line) have not discovered this feature. Then again, other 'features' have been discovered and discussed in the various discussions ( Like, holding the MONI key on particular channels to get into menus to change various settings)

Who knows...

Back
Top Bottom