'chester highway' public 'range' near Hooksett?

Where there once was a man in the mountain
First, Hi to everyone, I'm a noob here. [wave]

While shooting at MFL in Manchester the other day someone told me of a public 'range' to shoot, no fees or membership required.

At first I thought they were referring to the Chester Rod and Gun Club, but when I asked for more details, they said "no, it's Chester Highway, just a place off the highway where a bunch of people go to shoot". I believe it was near Hooksett, NH.

I'm not sure how organized or safe a place like this would be, but I was wondering if anyone else has heard of it and if so, what do you know about it?

I would not try to shoot on any property without the owner's permission. I don't think the 'some guy told me it was ok to shoot here' would cover me in all situations. This sounds too close to a 'my dog ate my permission letter' type of excuse to me.

Yes, I'll be joining a local club soon, but asking this stupid question gave me an excuse to say hi and possibly learn what others may know about this 'spot'.

Thanks!

Welcome R1ch!

I'm familiar w/ the spot. I have shot there in the past, but I won't go back. It isn't a range so much as a shooting lane in the woods w/ a boulder form a backstop and a couple of rusted out cars and trash. I don't think anyone would bother you, but there's just too many snowmobilers/x-c skiers/hikers out there. My advice would be to join a local club.

What town are you in?

Orvanic,

I'm going to be joining Chester RnG as I live just 10 to 15 minutes from there. I'll probably be at their next meeting if all goes as planned.

That's what I thought about the highway spot. In fact I was told about the shot out cars and such. I was just wondering if it is a legal (and safe) place to shoot.

Thanks again!

Orvanic,

I'm going to be joining Chester RnG as I live just 10 to 15 minutes from there. I'll probably be at their next meeting if all goes as planned.

That's what I thought about the highway spot. In fact I was told about the shot out cars and such. I was just wondering if it is a legal (and safe) place to shoot.

Thanks again!

Is that on that trail that cuts through the woods from Chester Turnpike over to Tower Hill Road?

I just go shooting on my property...mmm droools once I can excavate out a 200 yard range on my property.

It's on Rod & Gun Club Road.

I'm a member there.

Just a slight confusion... Chester highway 'shooting' spot (I guess we can't call it a range), is a place out in the woods off of chester highway in or near Hooksett.

It's not the same place as Chester Rod and Gun Club, which is on Rod and Gun Club Road in Chester, NH.

I had the same confusion when I was first told about it.

Just a slight confusion... Chester highway 'shooting' spot (I guess we can't call it a range), is a place out in the woods off of chester highway in or near Hooksett.

It's not the same place as Chester Rod and Gun Club, which is on Rod and Gun Club Road in Chester, NH.

I had the same confusion when I was first told about it.

Yeah, I know.

If you want to check out Chester R&G shoot me a PM and we can set up a day & time to meet there.

Does anyone know of any quasi-public quasi-ranges like this that are in north central mass? Sometimes you want to go shooting in a less structured environment. With friends from work that don't belong to ranges and stuff like that.

Yeah, I know.

If you want to check out Chester R&G shoot me a PM and we can set up a day & time to meet there.

Thanks for the offer! In looking at their website, it looks like they may have a pin shoot there Saturday morning (Feb 14th). We may go over and check it out if we're up early enough as I've never been to a pin shoot.

Does anyone know of any quasi-public quasi-ranges like this that are in north central mass? Sometimes you want to go shooting in a less structured environment. With friends from work that don't belong to ranges and stuff like that.
My wife and I used to belong to a club in the So.Shore but didn't renew our membership when we figured out we did most of our shooting in So. Maine. There's alot to be said about a " less structured environment" for sure. More money for ammo too.[cheers]

Back
Top Bottom