• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chinese SKS

It a later add on, preban i think. Those are rare, i wish i can get one like that for my sks. Put up some pic, people on here probally know more about it.

Only pics I have on hand. I picked this Norinco up at a local shop for 3 and change I think. Been hunting around for small parts and its proving to be challenging but I got it all done. The bayonet srew/swivel was incorrect and was not threaded on one end so it simply would push out and the bayo would fall off and I had to hunt for the collet and spring lol. Missing cleaning rod and the bottom sling swivel was busted off. Screws were still there though. Oh, and a sling too. I couldn't find hardly more than one of the parts from any one single vendor so shipping killed me, dang $8 shipping for a $4 screw. A week or so ago I could find most of the parts at one vendor, but now things are drying up I guess, had to look around for a sling of all things?

I've shot the rifle, it shoots really well and groups better than my AK's. Just another one of those rifles I've always wanted and for whatever reason just never got one. I remember seeing these stacked like cord wood in the early 90's for $87 at just about any pawn or gun shop.

rps20200901_094100.jpg rps20200901_094136.jpg

Last edited:
Star mags are highly sought after and often sell for 100+ just by themselves. Most of the time they are jam-o-matics but with some fiddling with the feedlips, they can be ok. They are after the fact but some folks prefer the original 10rd for reliability.

Star mags are highly sought after and often sell for 100+ just by themselves. Most of the time they are jam-o-matics but with some fiddling with the feedlips, they can be ok. They are after the fact but some folks prefer the original 10rd for reliability.

Good to know. I was going to buy a 10rd for it but everywhere I looked they were out of stock. I suppose anything can be found if you look hard enough though.

I havent run that many rounds through it but didn't have any problems with reliability. The follower/spring tension seemed to be really light but I didn't experience any malfunctions loading to full capacity, then later 10 and 5 shot strings.

I have an original 10 rd chinese fixed mag if you are looking for one. Those aren't cheap either, that is- if you can find one. I just sold my sks last month and found it among some other accessories. I only knew about the star mag because mine started to malfunction.

Opposite. Star mag started to double feed and before I found out about adjusting the feedlips, I went ahead and bought an original mag from gbroker. The star mag was fine after screwing with it and I just putaway the 10rd original. Didn't find it until just recently.

...I was going to buy a 10rd for it but everywhere I looked they were out of stock. I suppose anything can be found if you look hard enough though.
I had a hard time finding an original 10rnd too. Found that in Canada, they are all over the place for cheap but pinned to 5rnds. If you get 1 that the follower has the limiter, you can drill it out easily and the hole doesn't affect function. Keep me, your favorite BMET, in mind when you want to give that 100rnd away[wave]

Here is 1 site with a quick 5rnd sks mag google:

I had a hard time finding an original 10rnd too. Found that in Canada, they are all over the place for cheap but pinned to 5rnds. If you get 1 that the follower has the limiter, you can drill it out easily and the hole doesn't affect function. Keep me, your favorite BMET, in mind when you want to give that 100rnd away[wave]

Here is 1 site with a quick 5rnd sks mag google:
Yeah I found a place that had mags, but they were out of Canada and I couldn't change the shipping options to outside of Canada? Shame cause they had surplus ammo in stock for a screaming deal too.

Yeah I found a place that had mags, but they were out of Canada and I couldn't change the shipping options to outside of Canada? Shame cause they had surplus ammo in stock for a screaming deal too.

Gun parts probably need to go through an importer, ammo definitely has to.

The gentleman from whom I bought my Chinese SKS warned me against using duckbill 20 or 30 round magazines. He said “don’t try to make it like an AK. It’s an SKS.” So I’ve been looking for stripper clips but midway has been out of the good ones for a little while. My only complaint with the Chinese SKS is the stock feels small when shouldering the rifle. Would opt for a Yugo if I had a hot tub time machine.

The gentleman from whom I bought my Chinese SKS warned me against using duckbill 20 or 30 round magazines. He said “don’t try to make it like an AK. It’s an SKS.” So I’ve been looking for stripper clips but midway has been out of the good ones for a little while. My only complaint with the Chinese SKS is the stock feels small when shouldering the rifle. Would opt for a Yugo if I had a hot tub time machine.
Bend over and crunch down more it will fit.

I put an extension butt pad on my Chinese. Works great and perfect length...
Leapers 1" still shows a lot of wood (unlike the Limbsaver slip ons)
This is screwed on and has no wobble. Can't think of anything negative to say about it...

1599057084577.png

John Masen makes a well reviewed pad also.
1599059786283.png
1599059766944.png

Last edited:
Still makes for an unpleasant time at the range and a non-NPOA. I guess I’ll have to get used to bending over and taking it though.
Yup,
I bought mine in 1992 came with one of these on it and the wooden thumbhole stock was in the box. Ugly and ruins the look nut it us better for range fun , off hand , bench ect.

View: https://youtu.be/fedot4Bx3Eg

Yup,
I bought mine in 1992 came with one of these on it and the wooden thumbhole stock was in the box. Ugly and ruins the look nut it us better for range fun , off hand , bench ect.

View: https://youtu.be/fedot4Bx3Eg

I totally love the Choate Dragunov stock. I was going to buy one when I first bought my SKS but other purchases took priority. It’s definitely on my xmas list.

The 20 round fixed magazines are aftermarket imports. No SKS was ever shipped into the US with one of these mags. They are considered another imported part. Do yourself a favor and do a search on an SKS with fixed 20 round magazine and section 922r.

I'm familiar with 922r, just not this particular magazine and the interest they generate.

Apparently due to when these magazines came to the US, if they are installed in an original configuration, un-modified SKS you are out of compliance with 922r. It is illogical as one would argue I am trading out an imported part for an imported part but that is not how ATF interprets it. Lots of discussion on the internet about it.

Isn't 922r for the dealer to worry about? I've SBRed many "pistols" shipped into the US to avoid 922r and never considered the law.

Isn't 922r for the dealer to worry about? I've SBRed many "pistols" shipped into the US to avoid 922r and never considered the law.

I didn't think it applied to anything that was pre-89 Bush ban either.

a couple for sale here:

Back
Top Bottom