• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Choice in .22??

I have narrowed down my choices for a new plinking and target rifle. Either a Ruger 77/22 or a Marlin 980S. Ruger is more cash, but I like the 10 shot rotary mag and have read good reviews. Anyone have any experience with either? Also, are autoloaders really that much less accurate? Thanks in advance.

Have you looked at the Marlin 60? It's a semi-auto like the 10/22 but with a tubular magazine so it's not subject to the stupid MA AWB. I just got one and it is quite nice..

I have a 77/22 in the target grey heavy barrel model. It is truly a great rifle and worth far more than the asking price. I got mine from Four Seasons about two years ago for around $440.00.

Thanks for the input guys. So, in general, is there an accuracy difference between the bolt actions and the autos?

So, in general, is there an accuracy difference between the bolt actions and the autos?

Yes. In general, bolt action rifles are more accurate than semi autos. In many instances significantly so. The AR15 is a notable exception to the rule.

My choice of a rimfire sporter rifle is neither of your suggestions:

CZ 452

main003.png

I kind of thought the bolt actions would be more accurate. I guess that quick follow up shot is fun but generally not necessary in target shooting. ANyone know why the bolt action Rugers are so much more expensive that the autos?

I guess that quick follow up shot is fun but generally not necessary in target shooting.
In all situations except pray and spray, a bolt action offers more than sufficient follow up shot speed. One just needs to practice a bit.

Back
Top Bottom