Christmas Gift Trash. Am I the only one?

My wife just got finished busting my balls about how I handle the Christmas gift trash in our house and I was wondering if I am the only one. This goes back multiple decades ago when I was taking the rattler to work while reading the Herald (before the format change). The front page story was about thieves targeting houses by the quality of their trash after Christmas. Thieves were cruising neighborhoods looking for high dollar TV and electronic boxes in the trash. Since that story, I have always taken any expensive electronic or firearm related boxes and toss them in the work dumpster instead of putting them to the curb. The trunk is full and I will take care of it Mon. morning. I can't be the only one who does this.

We haul our own to the dump so no issue with people breaking in to steal all our stupid toys.

I consider it a good Christmas morning if I can keep the trash situation under control as the kids are opening stuff.
Same here, but it all goes out in contractor bag. Ain't nobody got time for recycling.

Trash bag by one leg, paper bag by the other, leatherman in hand. Kids open presents, paper goes in the trash bag, toy gets liberated from the EXCESSIVE packaging using the Leatherman, box gets flattened and jammed into the paper bag, on to the next. The only thing that ends up going out to the curb is a bunch of trash bags and some paper bags.

GOT to keep up. It's a very busy morning, always. It's work, not fun.

Any boxes that show anything good. Or even marginally good get saved for the firepit. I always cringe when I drive past a house with a 65 inch TV box outside. On a few occasions I've actually took them from neighbors yards and brought them to my work dumpster.

GOT to keep up. It's a very busy morning, always. It's work, not fun.
I remember the days when we would finish assembling toys and setting up presents at 04:30 and the kids getting up an hour later.

Now the kids are older. My youngest is 17. She asked Santa for an iPhone 12 Pro. When they get older clean up and set up are a lot easier but it hits the wallet a little harder.

I have a box in the garage of various firearm and computer related stuff... All small, think LPK box. When the box is full off to my friends dumpster.
Nobody comes up my street, but they do have guys fingering thru this stuff at the transfer station. A plastic bag from magpul in the middle of a pile with discarded mail from my street helps narrow stuff down for them.

You are not the only person who does this. Fortunately, there’s a separate recycling station for cardboard only nearby and I take it there.

I remember the days when we would finish assembling toys and setting up presents at 04:30 and the kids getting up an hour later.

Now the kids are older. My youngest is 17. She asked Santa for an iPhone 12 Pro. When they get older clean up and set up are a lot easier but it hits the wallet a little harder.

I know; my oldest is eleven, and it's already getting easier.

About time, too. The people who design toy packaging are my least favorite people in the world. Worse than telemarketers.

All the wrapping paper gets stuffed into a trash bag, cardboard gets ripped apart and jammed into several cardboard boxes. The tally for this AM was 1 large trash bag and 3 medium sized cardboard boxes.

I had two of each. LOTS of wrapping paper this time around.

So. Much. Cardboard.

I use the big cardboard boxes to work on under my pickup truck... Shiny side down...

Actually I was sick and tired of laying on cardboard and just got a Pro Lift EVA pad so now it will all become target fodder. I’m too old and fat to be laying on cardboard anymore. Its small enough that it can go in the camper when we travel as well.

Bob

750-274_01_Z.jpg

750-274_03_Z.jpg

I had two of each. LOTS of wrapping paper this time around.

So. Much. Cardboard.
Your right about the packaging being absurd. But honestly it’s nothing compared to the limited instructions and useless tools that come with shit that needs to assembled like scooters ect.. I had a furious meltdown this AM trying to monkey together a scooter metal type thing that apparently attaches to a hoverboard 😡

Back
Top Bottom