• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Christmas Wish Red Ryders at Walmart Again

paulleve

NES Member
My local Walmart has a display of Christmas Wish Red Ryders in the aisle near sporting goods. Edited to add: You can't get them shipped, but you can check online to see if local stores are carrying them. Of the ones I checked around me, half have them in stock. These are the ones with a compass and sundial, and at $29.96 they're cheaper than a standard model Red Ryder. With originals selling for sometimes crazy money, and the latest Daisy Museum commemorative at about $120 shipped, these Walmart rifles are a great deal for anyone wanting something similar to Ralphie's rifle from A Christmas Story.

Here's the one I bought in 2021:
449261-c9021fbca58f0f504cbcd9bb4706e7be.jpg

It's not bad if you want one to actually shoot. The sundial is pressed into the wood, and the compass freely spins.

Daisy originally released the "Christmas Dream" model in 1983 and 1984 after the movie was released. It's definitely easy to tell them apart, considering the new one has the compass and sundial on the right side. This is actually true to the movie version.

449263-26cfc7d4bbfe5de10b09719d2cc28b6c.jpg

449262-93734d8abffffc68e311cd3524b0ac50.jpg

I've got a small collection of originals and commemoratives - and I still have both my eyes! I put them together into a webpage to make viewing all the pics easier: Christmas Story Red Ryders

Last edited:
My local Walmart has a display of Christmas Wish Red Ryders in the aisle near sporting goods, and they're available online. These are the ones with a compass and sundial, and tat $29.97 they're cheaper than a standard model Red Ryder. With originals selling for sometimes crazy money, and the latest Daisy Museum commemorative at about $120 shipped, these Walmart rifles are a great deal for anyone wanting something similar to Ralphie's rifle from A Christmas Story.

Here's the one I bought in 2021:
View attachment 827181

It's not bad if you want one to actually shoot. The sundial is pressed into the wood, and the compass freely spins.

Daisy originally released the "Christmas Dream" model in 1983 and 1984 after the movie was released. It's definitely easy to tell them apart, considering the new one has the compass and sundial on the right side. This is actually true to the movie version.

View attachment 827180

View attachment 827179

I've got a small collection of originals and commemoratives - and I still have both my eyes! I put them together into a webpage to make viewing all the pics easier: Christmas Story Red Ryders
They show $52 and out of stock online.

Better buy them all.

"Wal-Mart's founder Sam Walton started the company as a "Buy American" retailer some 50 years ago but it turned away from that strategy in the name of offering cheaper prices."

Ok, so maybe our resident boomers remember those days.

"Wal-Mart's founder Sam Walton started the company as a "Buy American" retailer some 50 years ago but it turned away from that strategy in the name of offering cheaper prices."
I knew a family that had a manufacturing business and they made stuff like rubber door stops and shop mats. They would get a contract order from Walmart, get a certain percentage up front and the remainder on delivery. Walmart had a lovely tactic of contacting them the day of delivery and telling them they were not going to pay the agreed price and they were stuck selling them the boatload of widgets or trying to sell them on their own and suing Walmart. It got to the point where they cut what they were willing to pay so low that there was no way they could meet the price unless they manufactured overseas. They were fortunate to be able to transition to some other products and not have to work with Walmart and keep their manufacturing stateside, but a lot of companies got caught in that trap and it greatly benefited foreign manufacturing.

My neighborhood has a Super WalMart and Lowe's 3/4 of a mile away. More supermarkets within a mile the other way (Harris Teeter, Food Lion, IGA, Lowe's Market (no relation to the home improvement store), and half a dozen dollar-store type places around town. For groceries and other staples like paper goods and such, it's hard to beat WalMart for the "everything under one roof" convenience. We shop the other markets for meats, cold cuts, better produce, etc.

They show $52 and out of stock online.

Better buy them all.

It looks like only certain stores are carrying them, and you can't get them shipped so no online orders. If you set your store preference to different locations, you'll find some that come up at $29.97. I checked six stores within 45 minutes from my house, and three have them in stock. I got the image below by checking the Sturbridge store:

Screenshot 2023-12-13 153309.png

Last edited:
When the Northampton Walmart decided to stop selling ammo they offered it as a donation to the local PD. there was such a liberal backlash Walmart said the hell with it.......

"The gift of ammunition drew critical public comment and debate when it came before the City Council last week. Some residents criticized the donation, arguing that police should be looking to reduce — not increase — their weapons stockpiles."

Back
Top Bottom