• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Citizen Use of Force, NH Firearms Laws and Developing a Defensive Mindset Seminar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one would have loved to go to seminar that included both the Police (prosecution and how to avoid it) and a firearm attorney's (defense and how to avoid it) as well as other related 'use of firearms in NH' point of view!

I was hoping to hear more!

So far my best online reference for a NH gun law information has been the GONH and PGNH web sites:

http://www.gonh.org/uploads/images/65/FAQ_3-19-10-7-27-10.pdf

Frequently Asked Questions about Gun Laws in New Hampshire | Pro-Gun New Hampshire

Was the seminar canceled? Why was the information edited out from the first post?

He was a DHS plant. Now we're all on Napolitano's home grown terrorist list.

You, and everyone else in here were put in a list the moment we ever clicked on a NES link in Google for the first time.

It looks like he pulled the first post himself rather than tell anyone about who would be teaching the seminar. The entire thing seemed a bit off. Working for that CLEO, listing a skill set of human intel and terrorist profiling, not having any defense attorneys included, makes you want to bring out the tin foil.

Wow, gotta say I love this forum. I won't attend any training or seminars before passing the details by you guys. I learned a lot by reading this thread!

Just got this as a PM from this guy:
Originally Posted by copcrap
Just curious as to where you were a cop, how long you were a cop and why you are retired? Didnt want to post this online so thought I'd send a PM. Its rare that I hear cops say that they dont trust cops (in general anyway).
Still don't see any of your credentials YET!!!

I was a cop once too (only for a year) and I don't trust them...I saw too much while I was one for me to trust them. That's why I was only one for a year (actually 11 months).

* Proper storage of firearms and what might be considered negligence

NH does not have storage laws.

Look, I just saved everyone twenty five bucks.

Maybe saved us $24.98. Two cents below. Dunno case law on the matter, which is far more important than the text alone...

TITLE LXII
CRIMINAL CODE

CHAPTER 650-C
NEGLIGENT STORAGE OF FIREARMS

Section 650-C:1

650-C:1 Negligent Storage of Firearms. –
I. Nothing in this section shall be construed to reduce or limit any existing right to purchase and own firearms or ammunition, or both, or to provide authority to any state or local agency to infringe upon the privacy of any family, home or business except by lawful warrant.
II. As used in this section, "child,'' "juvenile'' or "youth'' shall mean any person under 16 years of age.
III. Any person who stores or leaves on premises under that person's control a loaded firearm, and who knows or reasonably should know that a child is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the child's parent or guardian, is guilty of a violation if a child gains access to a firearm and:
(a) The firearm is used in a reckless or threatening manner;
(b) The firearm is used during the commission of any misdemeanor or felony; or
(c) The firearm is negligently or recklessly discharged.
IV. Any person who violates paragraph III shall be fined not more than $1,000.
V. This section shall not apply whenever any of the following occurs:
(a) The child has completed firearm safety instructions by a certified firearms safety instructor or has successfully completed a certified hunter safety course.
(b) The firearm is kept secured in a locked box, gun safe, or other secure locked space, or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure, or is secured with a trigger lock or similar device that prevents the firearm from discharging.
(c) The firearm is carried on the person or within such a close proximity thereto so that the individual can readily retrieve and use the firearm as if carried on the person.
(d) The child obtains or obtains and discharges the firearm in a lawful act of self-defense or defense of another person.
(e) The person who keeps a loaded firearm on any premises which are under such person's custody or control has no reasonable expectation, based on objective facts and circumstances, that a child is likely to be present on the premises.
(f) The child obtains the firearm as a result of an illegal entry of any premises by any person or an illegal taking of the firearm from the premises of the owner without permission of the owner.
VI. A parent or guardian of a child who is injured or who dies of an accidental shooting shall be prosecuted under this section only in those instances in which the parent or guardian behaved in a grossly negligent manner.
VII. Licensees shall conspicuously post at each purchase counter the following warning in bold type not less than one inch in height: "IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE OWNER OF A FIREARM SEEK FIREARM SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS FROM A CERTIFIED FIREARMS INSTRUCTOR AND KEEP FIREARMS SECURED FROM UNAUTHORIZED USE.'' A licensee failing to display this warning to the purchaser of a firearm shall be guilty of a violation.
Source. 2000, 267:1, eff. Jan. 1, 2001.

I attended the 16 March seminar presented by Officers Choate & Hileman of the Jaffrey, NH police department entitled “Citizen Use of Force, NH Firearms Laws and Developing a Practical Defensive Mindset”.

Quick Summary: This seminar was a presentation with audience interaction but no physical component. I would not recommend this seminar to NH gun owners due to the lack of two critical elements: 1) What to say/not say to 911 and/or responding police, 2) When and how to engage a lawyer, how to judge their competence, and the prosecutorial and judicial process in self defense cases. While members of the audience brought these points up, the officers appeared unwilling (or unable) to discuss these matters. Without addressing these two topics in depth, any course with more than passing reference to self defense law fails to provide gun owners with necessary information to defend themselves from BOTH criminal and government intrusion on life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Detailed Review:
The presenters, Officers Choate and Hilemen are experienced law enforcement officers in the Jaffrey NH police department and regional SWAT teams with training duties for LE but no prior experience in presenting the course material to the non-LE public. They indicated that they were not sure on timing for their intended seminar content, and did not finish in the intended 4 hour time period. Attendees were given the option to attend a second seminar to be held soon and were told they would be sent PowerPoint slides by email.

The audience of about 30 appeared exclusively Caucasian, and included more men than women, with ages ranging from young to old. Held in a Nashua Baptist church, there was one attendee that seemed to be used to following sermons with a frequently shouted “Amen” or “Halleluiah , as he vocalized throughout the seminar.

Both officers were clear and capable presenters, with Choate the senior, more reserved presenter and Hileman the junior and more expressive presenter. Both were enthusiastic, committed and likable guys. I have no doubt that they are excellent at what they do in LE. No handouts were given, and no course outline was presented, so it was not clear what the content was beyond the webpage summary. Their presentation of such a course by LE officers without legal credentials they justified by their more extensive and practical familiarity with the Force Continuum, which they characterized as largely the same for LE and non-LE from the legal perspective (even suggesting that non-LE may be held to stricter application). The presenters were clearly unfamiliar with the special understanding that lawyers who lecture on self defense law have of the topic, and assumed that an average lawyer, or even a prosecuter, might not teach a seminar on the topic as well as they – which is likely true. Having attended self defense and firearms law seminars from GOAL (various lawyers), SIGArms (Lawyer Andrew Branca) and MA’s Chief Glidden, I would assess their competence on the relevant laws to be better than the man on the street, but less than others who lecture on the topic. Simply reading books from A. Branca (The Law of Self-Defense: A Guide for the Armed Citizen), R. Glidden (Law Enforcement Guide to Firearms Law) and EF Nappen (New Hampshire Gun, Knife, and Weapon Law) might prepare gun owners better than this seminar, as in them laws are interpreted with case law discussed. Book-learning does, however, lack that critical interactive feature that is very helpful, even essential, in such seminars and there is, at present, no other alternative seminar offered on NH Self Defense Law (that I know of). So, by default, they have the best seminar in town.

I would characterize the whole seminar as very “cop-centric” with numerous stories of perils encountered on duty. These stories occupied more time than they were worth as far as teaching examples, and were less relevant to the non-LE audience. While I might indeed buy $25 in drinks to hear officers tell their tales outside of their close-knit LE community, the seminar time would be better spent otherwise. That said, Officer Hileman said “My examples are from law enforcement, because that’s all I know.” In a job such as LE, where first-hand experience matters, first-hand stories count more too. What they might consider is that in teaching laws of self defense, you can take cases and make examples from anywhere – you will not have any credibility issues with the non-LEO audience. Others who teach such courses teach only partly from experience, and more from the experience gained from others.

After decades in LE, it would indeed be hard not to become jaded from the bad they see every day, and this perspective nuanced the seminar. The opening slides proposed that violence is on the increase, and more random, with most crime drug related, and SoNH/NoMA characterized as one of the worst part of the country for drug-related crime. This view contrasts with the relatively low crime ranking of NH, and declining crime rates throughout the USA, although MA crime has increased markedly in recent years. When you are the hammer, most of what you get to pound are nails. So their perspective isn’t unexpected. Personally, I prefer it to the Zippity Doh-Dah folks that carry cell phones as amulets to ward off bad guys, thinking guns are the cause of all evils. Somewhere in-between is a sweet spot, I think. As to what could be done about crime, the proposed conclusion the officers presented in print was: nothing. With policing policy credited as the primary crime deterrent, this is an unfortunate viewpoint to have as a LEO, but it is understandable given their perspective. And I couldn’t prove it was wrong…

As an aside, I personally believe this view, that nothing can be done about crime, leads to a belief on the part of LE that an “above the law” attitude and practice is both necessary and desirable if police might be expected to do their jobs. The good cops rationalize this as they bend the rules strictly on the “bad guys”, the tired or overwhelmed cops let things slip more often and the bad cops abuse authority as a way of life. I don’t say they are all wrong – and I’ll later say they are partly right.

This “cop-centric” perspective was apparent in reference to their frequent reference to what appears to be the cops’ prime directive – come home alive at the end of the shift. But the same perspective wasn’t clearly stated for the non-LE. There were many references to Ward Bird and the people that supported him as “people just looking for a fight” – that is, people that will use a gun when legally permissible when other means might be at hand (lesser force, retreat, letting the criminal take property/money and depart, etc.) While the officers professed and clearly displayed support for RKBA, they appeared opposed to “Stand Your Ground” and “defensive brandishing” laws as promoting abuse of responsible gun ownership and self defense. This is a battle hardly won in NH and it’s not surprising to find less support from LE, so I wouldn’t single out Officers Choate and Hileman on the topic. That said, with regard to the “no firearms” policy listed in the seminar announcement, no mention was made of the matter other than a joking comment that “nobody here has a gun on them, right?” The restriction appeared to be not of their choosing or concern.

Again, as a personal aside, I think the “nothing can be done about crime” attitude is an outcome the “responsible gun owner” notion – I think there is, in fact, too much prior restraint on use of force in defense of self and property. I say, let’s split the difference – good cops want some flexibility in dealing with bad guys. Fine. Give us the same flexibility, and more, as WE are the victims. There needs to be a greater risk to life and limb to someone who enters my home uninvited, door locked or not, looks to steal my car off the street, or tries to rob or assault me. Or we become, as Jeffry Snider said, “A Nation of Cowards” ( A Nation of Cowards ) forced to accept that the wolves will cull the weak, sick, young and elderly from our flock. If we cannot make criminals fear the police and their intended victims even MORE, we will continue to drift toward the UK system, where ‘Criminal’ is an occupation with rights and protections not accorded the honest man.

Observing the cop perspective on several matters was actually quite interesting. While I had resolved not to challenge the presenters on anything other than a pure factual error (and I heard none), and to follow up with them later with feedback (I will send them this review), I did ask a question about calling 911. We often hear the advice that it is better to call 911 after you had to use defensive force and be the complainant rather than have your attacker or a bystander call 911. Officer Hileman said it all depends on the responding officer as to whether you will be asked to surrender your weapon and come into custody calmly, or whether you will be drawn on, dropped spread-eagle on your face, cuffed and stuffed. He did say you can expect to have your firearm taken and to be arrested, in most cases. What wasn’t discussed was the aftermath, and how what you say on the 911 call and at the scene can help or hurt you. But he did say that only saying to the responding police “I’m saying nothing and I want a lawyer” is no big advantage, perhaps leading most of us to recall prior comments from an audience member that you might at least say you were attacked, feared for your life and defended yourself. I can see where a LEO, at a seminar not vetted/approved by their agency, might hesitate to advise on how to avoid legal tactics police and prosecutors use to get you to say things that “can and will be used against you in a court of law.” Lawyers fill their self defense laws with caveats and inferences to let you make your own conclusions, so the same CYA is not unexpected from LEOs. It’s just a bigger omission in this particular case.

The topic of guns and traffic stops came up. They advised disclosing to the officer that you have a permit/license and are carrying. And that while they, and most, wouldn’t do or say other than ask you to leave the gun where it is, some officers might want to examine the gun and call it in to see if it is stolen. An audience member asked exactly what the law was, and they did say there was no requirement or law pertaining – that it was only their advice on how to make everyone calm, recounting guns falling out of glove boxes, and other unpleasant surprises. We’re heard all about the stupid stuff, they live it daily, so you can acknowledge their perspective even if you don’t agree with it. When asked what would happen if you didn’t want your legally-held gun inspected, Officer Hileman noted the challenge might be met with a delay while drug-sniffing dogs were dispatched, or your car might be seized while a search warrant is obtained, etc. Yet the inference was that even a harsh cop would only hassle a truly suspicious driver – again, the good cop stretching it on bad guys thing. [Right, wrong? My personal thought is that if you constrain police without un-constraining the honest citizen, that the net balance shifts in favor of the criminal. Do the latter first and you reduce the need for the former. That is, better allow us to protect ourselves and police have less cause, valid or not, to stretch the rules to catch bad guys.]

I’ll end on some up-sides in their seminar.

1. In training LEOs, they advise to “Treat everyone like gold, but have multiple ways to kill them.” Good for everyone!

2. They have little respect for BATF. You can have a beer with ANYONE sharing that opinion, right?

3. Good people recognize good people, even if they happen to be police, so Officers Choate and Hileman will have a receptive audience. They can make a positive contribution.

Can this seminar be revised and improved to provide a NH gun owner necessary information? That’s up to them. Their police bias is not necessarily a show-stopper, if they can get past how to deal with what to do between the time you have to use force in self defense and when you and your lawyer are at your arraignment hearing or Grand Jury. If they cannot advise on what to say/not say, when to shut up and when to lawyer up, the non-LEO remains unacceptably exposed. They can read up on other resources addressing self defense law, gather examples and reference others’ interpretations, so as to not go out on the IANAL limb. With a little introspection, they are smart enough to see their own cop-centric bias, and might at least acknowledge the perspectives of those one might associate with Libertarians, Free-Stater, and shall-not-be-infringed’ers. Neither will be going away soon.

Will NES ever “endorse” the seminar? No – by virtue of their LE status and chosen views, they can’t come that far in our direction - and neither can we move that far in their direction (or we wouldn’t be “we” anymore).

Would I send people to their seminar? Depends on what they change - gotta have those essential missing pieces. Then, maybe – but I’d send only those I knew that I could talk to before and after to give them alternative views.

Does NH need such a seminar? Probably not – but the times are a-changing. People who never bought a gun before own one now, and some are looking for training in shooting skills and the law. Joe Biden will happily teach you how, when and why to discharge your double barrel duck gun out the bedroom window – what more do you need to know?

Last edited:
Thanks. That's a fantastic summary. I agree with you on every point. One other item - while I'm still leery of a lecture on law by those who enforce it, rather than those licensed to give legal advice (and even then, let me tell you, the difference in opinion on "the law" between a prosecutor and defense counsel are marked), it sounds like these officers are trying to give a good, solid class. Use of force continuum is not (I think) a 1:1 application to non-LEOs because unlike an officer, our job (after 'get home alive') isn't "intervene to arrest suspects" but "get ourselves and family safely away from attack". The officers' continuum is because they are intervening and as a society we don't want them going from "hey buddy" to shooting at the first sign of resistance (note the response garnered here whenever there is a report about a military-style warrant/raid). Whereas, when we're attacked by a predatory "bad guy", we are being intervened upon and have every right to not get harmed.

All that said, it's not like the course is mandatory, and to the extent they are giving practical advice (not holding themselves out as giving firm legal advice for pay), I applaud them doing it. Next time, a more appropriate 'advert' for it might go a long way. Officers Choate and Hileman, I hope you take no offense from the foregoing. Thanks for trying to do right by your community.

I might also add that they glossed over, and reasonably so, laws pertaining to LEO use of force, although some comment was made on non-LEOs using force in assistance of, or by direction of, LEOs. There was brief discussion on how police "rules of engagement" were a bit more clear than non-LEO rules, but that a cop could be left twisting in the breeze if the department decided he/she acted beyond authority. In steps the union, with some voice & power, but the risk is on the cop if they make a bad call - or if politics requires a head must roll. Tough job for sure. A bad call in my job might, at worst, get me fired, but not sued for every penny I have, and might ever have, and tossed in jail too.

I'm not well versed in the basis by which LEOs are given special status, such as Capital Murder charges for killing a LEO or jurist. As studies show policing policies are the most important deterrent to crime (followed by incarceration policy, capital punishment, CCW, etc., in no particular order), it stands to reason that there is a compelling government interest in a special status for LEOs. In plain-speak, we pay cops little enough as it is - can't we at least fry their killers and take care of their widowed spouses and children? In reality, we historically shrug off our returning soldiers after a war is over, but as cops work and live among us, we can't ignore them so readily. Sad, but true.

But abuse of authority, or use of force, by soldiers usually involves people in lands far away and is lost in the fog of war - I will not judge those who do that job... Abuse of authority by cops is up close and in our faces at home. So when that special status is equated with "above the law" status, the compelling government interest is protection of civil rights. The problem is, same government in charge of good cops and catching bad cops. What little most of us know about that comes from TV dramas, which are far from a reality shows I hear...

But I stray off topic...I think. What was the topic again??

The risk is on each and every one of us if we make a bad call. Officers are given a continuum of force structure because they are asked to throw themselves into bad situations. The rest of us are (presumably) trying to extricate ourselves from bad situations imposed by others. Things like no-duty-to-retreat are there to prevent the rest of us from being dragged through the expensive (and no union to jump in) process of second-guessing our otherwise-obvious decision to go home alive and undamaged that day. But that is another thread....

The risk is on each and every one of us if we make a bad call. Officers are given a continuum of force structure because they are asked to throw themselves into bad situations. The rest of us are (presumably) trying to extricate ourselves from bad situations imposed by others. Things like no-duty-to-retreat are there to prevent the rest of us from being dragged through the expensive (and no union to jump in) process of second-guessing our otherwise-obvious decision to go home alive and undamaged that day. But that is another thread....
Duty to retreat was a means of over coming the history of "fighting words".

Unfortunately, this doctrine has been expanded and abused to now provide a woefully unrealistic expectation on victims of a crime WRT their ability to respond in a detached fashion to their own violent victimization.

Have a look-see below and at the BLUE-U website. Looks like NES hit a nerve, big-time.

I spent some time and effort to explain to these officers the difference between people LOOKING to shoot people simply if legal justification existed, like it was hunting season, versus people WILLING to shoot people in self-defense with the expectation of no legal burden. These officers actively CHOOSE to believe posters were bad people looking to shoot people because they can get away with it. They opposed the NH laws allowing brandishing in self-defense and "stand your ground" on the basis that these laws could be abused by "bad people" and were not needed by "good people".

I took their seminar and posted my review above - I sent them the same review. I heard where they stand on how laws control police authority and responsibility regarding rights and protections of citizens from each other and from government.

It was clear that these officers justified "overstepping" their legal authority on "bad people", and expected "good people" would, and SHOULD, sanction their actions. Sure, few shed a tear for a "bad guy" who gets cuffed & stuffed "vigorously", but we on NES, more than many, know that this "look the other way" attitude/expectation simply allows the police to judge who is allowed what rights, freedom and liberty, and when and where and why.

The bad outweighs the good here...

Blue-U Seminars: Rethinking the Pro-Gun Strategy: Responsibility is Key

[EXCERPT] "...when we began to advertise our first seminar, I posted the our flyer on a fairly well-frequented regional firearms forum. I was absolutely floored by the response that I received! Here are some of the replies posted in response to the information contained seminar flyer:

“Legal advice from police. Fantastic”

“If I’m threatened I will shoot. That simple”

“In my castle, doctrine says I shoot you”

“You break into my house you get ventilated”

“Ethical considerations regardless of the law? LOLWUT”

Practical Defensive Mindset  - “Not necessary. I have a gun”

“It’s ten pounds of @#$% in a five pound bag”

“If anyone takes this seminar, they will probably be thinking way too much about irrelevant BS to be able to defend their life”

“All you are doing is slowing them down if they are in a fight for their life for no reason at all because NH law doesn’t apply to any of this nonsense. Shame on you”

“Reality check: Most people you serve don’t trust or like you, but they are polite enough to not say it to your face”

These replies, from what I assume to be lawful and responsible gun owners, really made me stop to think about the matter of gun ownership. They made me realize that there really may be some law abiding citizens that should absolutely not have a firearm! These people, and I’m sure there is a huge number of them out there, appear to be looking for ANY, even if only perceived, justification to take someone’s life! The more I thought about it the more I realized that these types of people scare me far more than the criminal with a gun! Why? Because the chances of us coming across a criminal with the intention of using a gun on us is far lower than the chance of coming across an irresponsible gun owner trying to find a reason to use one on us."

Gee, makes me wonder what he'd leave out were he on the stand?

No presentation whatsoever of his complete lack of not only identifying himself but "professionally" linking his presentation to any other group or persons.

I don't know, seems like more of a $$$ grab to me

What an a$$hole . I see he failed to mention that he refused to answer any questions. Typical high and mighty leo attitude.

From same BLUE-U blog - many of NES should be "prohibited person" based on the "mental illness" disqualification:

[EXCERPT] "The pro-gun movement has turned its focus to the "mentally ill" as the target of attention and, in-and-of-itself, this is a worthy target. But this then begs the question:

If a law abiding citizen is looking for any perceived justification to harm another human being, are they mentally ill? If the answer is yes then we are focused solely on the right type of people. If not, then these types of people must be included as a target of attention. Where this type of person differs greatly from the mentally ill category is that, in most cases, this may just be a training issue. And if its not, then they should probably fall into the category of the mentally ill right? "

They do try to spin themselves as supporting Stand Your Ground on a Facebook post (below), but their public statement was that they opposed it as they knew citizens would not understand the limitations of the law, and that "bad people" would abuse the law, and their lawyers would get them off.

"Stand Your Ground - Good or Bad?

I have always been a proponent of Stand Your Ground laws and firearm ownership for ALL law abiding citizens. HOWEVER - law abiding citizens must take the responsibility that comes with firearm ownership very seriously! We cannot appear to be looking for any perceived justification to use force on another human being.

Another important consideration:

Just because you can use force on another human being does not necessarily mean that you should. There are moral considerations that must be taken into account as well.

Stand Your Ground is good if we know the law and act responsibly. Stand Your Ground is bad if it is going to be taken advantage of by irresponsible, or maybe more appropriately referred to as those lacking understanding, people hoping for an opportunity to use force on another human being. If you own a firearm, learn everything that you can to know the laws, act within them and train to make responsible, faster, moral, and more well-thought decisions.

This is what Blue-U is all about. This is what we train people to be able to do. Our training is just as critical and necessary as practical shooting skills."

Last edited:
I agree, it "appears" he is using his position in LE to front something purported to be something "supported" by LE or law as the case may be but there is no "offical" or apparently unofficial support by any other LE organization or even any Pro-2nd Amend groups within the sate.

I've always said follow the money and you'll find your answer. In this case it "appears" to be ALL about the $$$

So now this ******* makes himself a self proclaimed expert. What he will do is pad his status and the be used as an "Expert Witness" to give his "opinion" to **** some one.

I don't know the law here in New Hampshire in regards to using your public employment, in uniform no less to promote your personal business. Some one who has more knowledge of that, than I, should check that out and send it to the AG for review.

I plan to send my review and comments to CCF&GC in Keene - the next place they hope to host a seminar. Their board meets 28May and I would think BLUE-U have some 'splainin to do.

I'll send to the 3 Pro-2A organizations in NH as well.

My purpose is not to "blackball" them, but to allow clubs/organizations to vet them fully before applying their tacit support of position by hosting their seminar. A lot of BOD members might just rubber-stamp a LE-staffed seminar, without a second thought.

Consider sending your thoughts to your clubs too.

I have heard more that one COP say "I am more afraid of citizens that criminals" mind set before. It is a cancer that the CLEOS promote. I have heard the same sentment stated by the linceing office in lowell.

I have heard more that one COP say "I am more afraid of citizens that criminals" mind set before. It is a cancer that the CLEOS promote. I have heard the same sentment stated by the linceing office in lowell.

Just tell them that they have nothing to worry about, less they are hiding something. [/s]

The more I thought about it the more I realized that these types of people scare me far more than the criminal with a gun!
Good! Let's keep it that way.
Just because you can use force on another human being does not necessarily mean that you should. There are moral considerations that must be taken into account as well
This, coming from a cop. The same people who are tackling 80 year old women to confiscate their legally owned firearm. Yep, they should have a monopoly on violence, for sure. Oh, the irony of it all.
act within them and train to make responsible, faster, moral, and more well-thought decisions.
So, what ocifer Fife is saying, is that when there is someone invading my home, it's a good time to reflect, think the situation through, evaluate the moral ground, and then make a decision based on that. Sound advice, when seconds count.

Someone should tell him that trust is a two way street. If he is walking around assuming that law abiding gun owners are more of a risk than criminals, then he is not fit for the job.

This is an objective failure to do his job. A complete lack of an ability to distinguish threat from non, crime from normal behavior.

I honestly trust and know that most law enforcement officers are far more able to do this than this man.

The reality is that most people around us, badge or not, are good people. Regardless of whether they ponder the unknowns of self defense, he is taking people asking questions about this to mean they think of nothing else.

It really does demonstrate his failure to understand the people and community he is supposed to serve in a way that I have not observed in any of the law enforcement officers I have known personally.

Last edited:
This is very disappointing and sounds like a media interview, misquoting everything they said to make sure that their agenda is maintained.

I just look at this and shake my head in despair. You're never going to get citizens to meet you on level ground with the mindset that law abiding people are more dangerous than criminals. It just reinforces that don't cooperate attitude and can you blame them? Seriously, if the people you're protecting are more dangerous than those you aren't then what is the point of your job!!! If they're more dangerous then I don't think they need protecting!

It's not that we should be against this it's that veteran officers should also be against this. If you ever want to change your perceptions it needs to start with the people who do it every day! You're humans, not robots! Don't just follow your leaders, question your leadership. If you hear the words being spewed by someone that "represents" you.

I know for a fact if someone on this forum started talking crazy that everyone on here would on their case and if they didn't change they would banned and find some public posting saying, "that guy doesn't represent us in any way!"

Still it doesn't stop you from using our words out of context. Sure there are probably people here that feel that criminals should be executed. There are always going to be people like that and who is to argue with them, but nobody here said without due process. That's what we fight so hard for! We're not executioners unless we have to be and honestly, if someone breaks into your house they don't plan to sell you flowers. They plan to do harm in one way or another.

I guess my last point is that officers need to stop making themselves the invaders. They aren't and never were intended to be. You allowed this system to make you that way. People in government who have never done your job or risked their life. We as honest citizens SHOULDN'T fear the cops more than the criminals. But it's getting that way isn't it. Whose fault is that?

Eagle II - I respectfully disagree. The good people that We serve do trust law enforcement officers. It's the people that we protect them from that don't.

You're stupid...

There, I said it, now we can delete this thread and you can go to the masscops forum and they can tell you have NES is anti-cop.

Hey, 26k people can't be all wrong...

Eagle II - I respectfully disagree. The good people that We serve do trust law enforcement officers. It's the people that we protect them from that don't.
Beg to differ. I'm no criminal and I have no trust. Most younger people I know agree and I know many from around the country. Older people still have it in their heads that there is some caring by LEOs but the kids have been abused by all the victimless crime enforcement. The kids are the ones who get the harrassment, older people not so much except for those on the fringe. When you see how the weak are treated, thats the future for everyone.
Pro Libertate

A lot of honest people dont trust cops. I dont trust them. And I believe that the majority (with the exception of a few) are a bunch of unprofessional a-holes that think they are god because they have a badge and a gun.

Reality check: most people you serve dont trust you or like you, but they are polite enough or smart enough to not say it to your face.

copcrap....I'm an honest, law abiding citizen. I did my four years in the military. I spent my first year in school, and the next 3 years of my life at sea for this country (well, 30 out of 36 months) My life has been squeeky clean; it had to be to get a Mass LTC. Hell, nuns buy my piss, it's so clean. However, I don't trust anybody with a badge. I teach my children not to trust anybody with a badge. I teach my 6yo to avoid them. In today's world, it's safer to talk to a stranger, than a cop. In the last 20-30 years, they've created that mistrust themselves, and have nobody to blame but themselves. That whole thin blue line is a stereotype...but it is one they created.

It's on them to now to build trust with us, not the other way around. And they aren't doing themselves any favors by protecting the trash within their own departments. It doesn't matter in Ma, NH, or Alaska....if they're not taking out their own trash, they will never be trusted, simple as that.

Chainsawing thru doors, the wrong one at that, and holding mom on the floor in a puddle of dog piss at the end of an M4, without so much as an appology, isn't helping.
Killing the innocent grandfather in Framingham (finger on the trigger, and cop "slipped", putting a round thru grandpa's brain), and then calling it justified, isn't helping.
Killing family pets with zero accountability isn't helping. "eek, a dog" doesn't exactly help their credibility.
Beating, to death, a homeless man, then having the neighboring police departments hold fundraisers for your defense....yeah, definitely not helping your case...look up Fullerton, Ca.

Like Broccoli says, we're smart enough to be polite to your face, but never mistake that for trust...not for one second.

And who did the AZ cops protect from Jose Guerena ? You know, the one of the innocent victims executed by SWAT?

Or even better - read this

Kathryn Johnston: A Year Later - Reason.com

and explain to me how each of those killings was justified...

After all - from your own blog: "Just because we can use force on someone does that mean that we should?" Oh, the hypocrisy...

As long as there is a chance that a SWAT team with the wrong address on their no-knock warrant is going to burst through my door with itchy fingers on the trigger, nobody will nor should trust SWAT team members. Don't like it? Stop killing innocents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom